Arms cold ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sandie7

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am wearing a semi-dry, a vest, and a sweat-shirt made of polyester ... the strange thing is, I get cold in the arms, and as soon as this happens, I start shivering. I have ended all my dives with my arms almost wrapped around me.

I will soon have a new vest made for me, but it will not solve my problem ... am I wondering if there is something you can wear for your arms ... :confused: ... silly question, probably :)

no (as to a "silly question"), but honestly, try warmer gloves... the body shuts down/constricts from the outer limits, advancing to the core.

One of the things I have learned to pay attention to is the extremities. Feel cold? Try better gloves, booties, hoods....

the vest will more than likely help. As said above, the body shut down circulation to the extremities when "challenged" as a defense mechanism.

(cheapskate idea): could you thrift-shop an old full-length wetsuit a little bigger than your size, cut off the arms and pull or roll them on over your existing suit?

(spend actual money idea): Get a custom suit-builder to make you some zip-up versions of the above out of nice new neoprene?

PS: are your tropical gloves too cold when you're not quite in the ,uh, tropics? My cheapskate solution is Playtex gloves under your tropical gloves, works nicely for me. Also a couple of triathlon-type swim caps under your existing hood.

You're not restricting the blood flow to your arms by having to the suit, and sweat shirt too tight? It the blood flow slows down, you will get chilled also. That is a common problem with too tight a suit

(cheapskate idea): could you thrift-shop an old full-length wetsuit a little bigger than your size, cut off the arms and pull or roll them on over your existing suit?

(spend actual money idea): Get a custom suit-builder to make you some zip-up versions of the above out of nice new neoprene?

PS: are your tropical gloves too cold when you're not quite in the ,uh, tropics? My cheapskate solution is Playtex gloves under your tropical gloves, works nicely for me. Also a couple of triathlon-type swim caps under your existing hood.

I like both ideas ... :) ... I will definitely ask the shop (that's where the wrists of the suit were adjusted) if they can make a vest "with arms" ...

I was in my first dive this Saturday (after certification), and the owner of the school wondered if I could wear the top part of an old wetsuit ... it sounded great, but my suit is 7 mm, and I wouldn't be able to move :D

Anyway, the gloves are ok ... I don't feel cold in my hands. The semi-dry is slightly large in the arms, and that is part of the problem ... I guess I should get more fat in the arms :(

---------- Post added December 15th, 2014 at 10:54 PM ----------

You're not restricting the blood flow to your arms by having to the suit, and sweat shirt too tight? It the blood flow slows down, you will get chilled also. That is a common problem with too tight a suit

I had never thought about this, but I guess the answer is no. I wore wetsuits before, in the summer, and the problem was exactly the same !

The semi-dry is slightly large in the arms, and that is part of the problem ... I guess I should get more fat in the arms :(
well it seems like you have just identified the problem. your suit does not fit your arms. so cold water will slosh in and out. so your arms will get cold.

get a properly fitted suit that does not allow excess cold water to slosh around. that is the simplest solution. as long as you have excess water flow, you will be cold.

well it seems like you have just identified the problem. your suit does not fit your arms. so cold water will slosh in and out. so your arms will get cold.

get a properly fitted suit that does not allow excess cold water to slosh around. that is the simplest solution. as long as you have excess water flow, you will be cold.

All suits I tried had the same problem ...

If you were in the US, I'd say "get in touch with Connie at www.wetwear.com". Custom suits are so worth it......

All suits I tried had the same problem ...
custom fit appears to be the answer.

in general, off the rack suits fit very few people properly. we are all different shapes, sizes and proportions.

custom fit appears to be the answer.

in general, off the rack suits fit very few people properly. we are all different shapes, sizes and proportions.

As far as I know, there is only one person here who knows how to work with wetsuits/semi-dry, and only to make adjustments ...

Guess I will just travel to order a custom fit suit ..... :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom