Diving in Feb - Utila or Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spestonji

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi Folks

Am a newbie diver (total of about 25 dives). got certified (PADI Open Water) at Roatan in 2013. Loved the diving in Roatan. Tried Cuba last year, but due to bad weather could only do 2 dives in 1 week :-( :-(

Am looking to escape the Canadian cold in Feb for a week-10 days. was debating whether to go to Cozumel or Utila. Basically am looking to do about 2 dives per day, enjoy some hot weather, and not get stuck at a resort due to bad weather. budget is about 2K. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks vm

Hello, not sure about utila, but I can speak to Coz. Great diving as I'm sure you know. Package prices from Seattle are running about $1200 for 10 days all inclusive, or 850 flight and hotel non inclusive. Dive ops have multi day packages...check around. We love Coz and spend about a month a year there and know the island well. The weather should be good but there is always the risk of being there during a winter Norte. Happened to us last February and it sucked. Rain, cold..least by Coz standards, and poor water. Harbour master closed it down many days. Lasted 8 days of our 14 day trip. Been going there for 7 years and that was the second one we hit. Weather is always the X factor where ever ya go. Tons of dive shop options in Coz, great people, and really one of our favorite dive locations so far. We'll be there feb 5th thru the 17th. Here's to better weather this year.

Thanks vm
any tips on dive shops, place to stay etc????
checked some all inclusives and they are OK (1400 for flight + hotel)
diving extra
am gonna call scuba club tomorrow, they seem to have dive special in feb
am also considering Aldora, but they are a bit pricey when accommodations and everything is included, but they do seem worthwhile

Kind REgards
Shahrukh

None of the 3 AI dive resorts on Utila will be very much less than $1800/wk when you include the single supplement. I'm sure none of those prices include the 19% Honduran tax either. Add $100/150 for the flight from San Pedro Sula also. Or $100 for the r/t ferry option from Roatan.

They're all fairly isolated also since they're on the other side of the lagoon so only accessed by the resorts boats - which do go back and forth often - in addition to planned afternoon trips to town they also move their staff/supplies that way - it's only 5 mins. away. At Laguna Beach you could practically swim across the channel...:D

February is the first month of whale shark "season" so the rates are higher. Snorkel only by law.

There are less expensive places in town but I don't know about any of them.

To some extent since you've dived Roatan, Utila won't be much different. We did both back to back and I liked Utila a little better - the north side seemed to be a little healthier. Snorkeling with 8 whale sharks over two days didn't hurt either but you typically won't see them diving - they tend to like the deeper water off the north side - at least we saw all ours in water too deep to dive. You also see an occasional reef shark off Utila - we saw maybe 6 over a week.

Thanks vm
any tips on dive shops, place to stay etc????
checked some all inclusives and they are OK (1400 for flight + hotel)
diving extra
am gonna call scuba club tomorrow, they seem to have dive special in feb
am also considering Aldora, but they are a bit pricey when accommodations and everything is included, but they do seem worthwhile

Kind REgards
Shahrukh

On the budget end, Hotel Cozumel is a good choice, and has an AI option.
Aldora does cost a bit more. But I will say that they're absolutely worth every penny. Not only are they a "pamper me" service, with small groups, they're also big enough to pair you with people of your experience level. And since they give you 120CF tanks instead of 80, your two dives are going to have about as much bottom time as three tanks from an AL80 shop. As a new diver, your gas consumption is likely to be on the higher end, so a little extra gas is probably a good thing.
If the port gets limited by an El Norte, Aldora has Felicity, which is big enough to go out anyway. When it's completely closed, they have two boats over on the east side - which is only really divable in conditions that close the port.
We will be on Cozumel in February. We're staying at the Sabor this time, but (as always) we will be diving with Aldora.

Thanks vm Folks
for all the tips and advice
Highly appreciated
Aldora it is
Now I need to go book a flight and hotel :)
and convince my wonderful staff take over my workload while I go diving

Kind Regards
S

UTILA1.jpgUTILA2.jpgUTILA3.jpgUTILA4.jpg

I don't know about Coz but Utila I really enjoyed (above). It is a budget destination that puts you in range of some really nice dive sites.

Both Cozumel and the Bay Islands (Utila) have beautiful diving. But if you are only planning on a moderate amount of diving, Cozumel may be you better choice. Utila is very tiny and the resort is pretty much the only thing there. Cozumel is more developed and has all the shopping and restaurants necessary to support a busy cruise ship industry. A compromise would be Roatan. It's still in the Bay Islands, but has shopping and restaurants, etc.

Hi Folks

Am looking to escape the Canadian cold in Feb for a week-10 days. was debating whether to go to Cozumel or Utila. Basically am looking to do about 2 dives per day, enjoy some hot weather, and not get stuck at a resort due to bad weather. budget is about 2K. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks vm

Here's a budget deal.... Casa Mexicana, February 20 thru Mar 10.....air and 9 nights $896. Not AI, but in town and close to everything. Free breakfast buffet everyday. Then "Dive with Martin" 5 days x2 tanks, $305. Now you're only into it for $1200... 800 bucks under budget for food, beer, trinkets, and additional dives or an additional night if you want more. We've used both outfits before.. Nice place to stay, and friendly dive op.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom