Pool Training Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaboy1444

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi All
I did the classroom yesterday today was the swimming pool. I was very nervous but my teacher was very patient with me. I had problems trying to breathe underwater and kept surfacing every couple minutes to breathe. I know it is because of my nerves and anxiety. It felt I was trying hard just to get a regular breath from the regulator. My teacher then gave me a different one. I forget the name now but it is the kind that has a knob where you can control the amount of air you want. This worked a lot better for me. I was then able to relax more and stay under longer. I have to take the pool part over again as I did not learn any skills. My main thing today was learning to relax underwater. Which I did.

Some may disagree but I find the knobs don't make a noticeable difference. If it was a different brand that could have been the difference as an Atomic B2 breathes quite a bit better than a Cressi MC9 (my opinion of course, I own both of them). It is great that your instructor is having you redo the pool session instead of pushing you through!! It's great that your learning to relax. If you get anxious try to focus and trust that reg!

In my experience, the number one reason that new students feel they are not getting enough air is the way they are breathing. Being nervous, they tend to breathe in and out quickly, taking very shallow breaths. For a visual sense of what I am saying, think of the air entering the windpipe and bronchial tubes, bouncing off an obstruction, and going back to the mouth to be exhaled. The air has to get into the lungs to do any good. More importantly, if the air gets into the lungs, then the air that is already in the lungs will have a chance to come out when you exhale. That old air is full of carbon dioxide. A buildup of carbon dioxide is what creates that panicky sense that you need more air.

Take a long, slow breath in, then get a sense of those molecules bathing the lungs in oxygen. Pause briefly, then take a long breath out. Get the sense that you are releasing all that old, tired air out to where it can retire in freedom. Breathe in long, relaxed breaths, the way you do before falling asleep at night.

See if that makes a difference.

Scubaboay1444, Getting comfortable in the water is a big first step. Incorporate BoulderJohn's comments on breathing and you will do much better. Adjustable regulators will not impact the "amount of air" you are getting at pool depths. Relax, have fun, take slow deep breaths, and let us know how you do next time.
DivemasterDennis

Also, some time spent above the water simply breathing though the reg might help. Getting over the "weird thing in my mouth" feeling can help a bit. If you've done any snorkleing it might not matter, but if you're not accustomed to breathing through some device (snorkel/reg) then it might make you feel more comfortable.

I have seen this many times. The work of breathing on some rental/student Regulators flat out sucks. It adds to anxiety.

Recently I had a student that was having major issues the first two nights in the pool. I gave her my legend and I used her reg for nights 3-5....huge difference in her comfort level. I on the other hand hated the reg that the shop provided her....the WOB was significantly higher than any newish reg that I have ever used. I now understand her reluctance to stay underwater the first few nights.

Not all regulators breathe the same and it is harder for some. I have breathed off a few rental regs and/or lower guality regs that were definitely harder to breathe from and I came away thinking that a new student would definitely get nervous trying to suck air through it.

I would tell the shop owner that you don't think the reg is breathing as easily as others and you want another reg. Hopefully, the owner would either service it or make the necessary adjustments.

Back
Top Bottom