Is my age good to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

borisbogdanov

Registered
Reaction score
Hello,
First i want to say hi to everyone. This my first post.
I am 14 years old and from what i have read and watched i really like scuba diving. I live in Bulgaria and after 5 months here will be summer. I found a course from PADI called Discover Scuba Diving. Here in Bulgaria there is a place i can start the course. I want to ask you do you think this is the best start and is my age okay? Thanks in advance!
Regards,
Boris :wink:

I think a Discover class is a great place to start - it will let you know if you are ready or not. I am sure others will chime in, but Discover is a very easy "try scuba" introduction that will let you know if you can handle it/like it. Just make sure the instructor/shop has a good reputation and it wouldn't hurt to talk with them more about the class and their approach. Of course I don't know you, so I can't say for sure if you are ready. But I think this class is a good way to try it.

I think a Discover class is a great place to start - it will let you know if you are ready or not. I am sure others will chime in, but Discover is a very easy "try scuba" introduction that will let you know if you can handle it/like it. Just make sure the instructor/shop has a good reputation and it wouldn't hurt to talk with them more about the class and their approach. Of course I don't know you, so I can't say for sure if you are ready. But I think this class is a good way to try it.

Thank you very much for your fast response. I will probably try this class and see how it goes.

We have certified a number of kids your age. As long as you take the class seriously (do the homework and follow directions) it will be great.

IMO it depends on how safe the Discover Scuba class it-- mainly how many students per instructor/assistant. Having taught school for years I would say age 14 may be borderline. Younger than that I would say no. Of course as mentioned, everyone is different regarding maturity. Many (including the agency I belong to) say some 10 year olds are fine to start scuba. I disagree.

We have certified a number of kids your age. As long as you take the class seriously (do the homework and follow directions) it will be great.

Thanks for your advice. I will defenetly follow all the instructions.

I started at 11. If you are serious, the place to start is making sure you are a good swimmer and comfortable in the water. Swimming speed is not the objective, endurance is. That will make you much more confident taking any dive class and allow you to absorb the information rather than be distracted by anxiety.

IMO it depends on how safe the Discover Scuba class it-- mainly how many students per instructor/assistant. Having taught school for years I would say age 14 may be borderline. Younger than that I would say no. Of course as mentioned, everyone is different regarding maturity. Many (including the agency I belong to) say some 10 year olds are fine to start scuba. I disagree.

Thanks. I will get attention on the students count.

---------- Post added January 15th, 2015 at 02:04 PM ----------

I started at 11. If you are serious, the place to start is making sure you are a good swimmer and comfortable in the water. Swimming speed is not the objective, endurance is. That will make you much more confident taking any dive class and allow you to absorb the information rather than be distracted by anxiety.

Thanks. I feel really really comfortable in water. My swimming speed is not very good but it is cool this is not a problem.

Boris,

Go have fun buddy. Like Diverjen said, just make sure your instructor takes the time to make you understand what you are doing and how to go diving in a safe manner. Make it a sport for you man. You are young and the world of diving is a massive one. Safe diving.

I've known some younger than you who were excellent divers. I've known several quite a bit older who shouldn't dive.

Are you comfortable in the water?
Are you sensible?

If the answer to both is "yes", you should be fine. The wonderful underwater world awaits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom