Water in the nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueOcean2015

Registered
Reaction score
When I take off my mask it hurts in the nose just beterne the eyes. Is it normal and is there something I can do to be more comfortable with this?

Are you saying that it doesn't hurt until you take off the mask? If so, perhaps you just don't notice until after taking the mask off?

When you say "in the nose" and between the eyes I'm thinking it's some kind of issue with your sinuses. If it's definitely related to getting water up your nose, perhaps you're blowing water into your sinuses while using a valsalva maneuver to equalize. The obvious solution there is don't use a valsalva while you've got water up the nose. If you've got water up your nose your mask is obviously leaking, and the solutions are to clear it, or maybe get a different mask.

Another possibility is that your sinuses just aren't equalizing. If you've got a bit of congestion you could equalize with a valsalva while descending, but the congestion could cause a reverse block as you ascend, resulting in a mild (I presume) overpressure injury in the sinuses. The solution there is to avoid diving when you're stuffed up.

You should probably visit an ear, nose, and throat doctor for an evaluation of your sinuses. I have allergies and was also afflicted with chronic sinus infections for years. I was often uncomfortable on both on land and sea but diving always made the situation worse. Sometimes I would develop inner ear infections that would ruin the trip. I finally had surgery to open up my sinuses a few years ago and it has helped a lot - not just with diving but with breathing in general, and I don't get nearly as many head colds these days.

I'm not saying that you are going to need surgery! But you should see an ENT doctor and figure out the problem. He/she may advise you to take an "over the counter" antihistamine and decongestant (like Allegra-D) unless such drugs make you drowsy.

At the advice of my ENT, I also use a simple, inexpensive device (non surgical, non-drug) called a neti-pot to clean out my sinuses whenever I am feeling congested. And I use it nightly when we are on a dive trip to help prevent problems from developing. I know that a lot of people think that they are silly (I resisted the idea for a long time myself) but it really works well for me. I've posted more information about it at the link below. Good luck!

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...old-after-diving-post7312280.html#post7312280

I am taking a course were we should be able to take off our mask under Water but I an very unconfortable with that because my nose hurt because of the Water.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2015 at 03:31 PM ----------

Just to know, is it any trick to prevent water from entering my nose when trying to breath with regulator in mouth and no mask on?

I am taking a course were we should be able to take off our mask under Water but I an very unconfortable with that because my nose hurt because of the Water.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2015 at 03:31 PM ----------

Just to know, is it any trick to prevent water from entering my nose when trying to breath with regulator in mouth and no mask on?

Not a trick, but you need an intuitive way to isolate your breathing to be ONLY through your mouth. Walking around we never think about it... and in fact breathing through the nose is the way our respiratory system is designed to function.

To force students to think about how to breathe I always tell them:

When inhaling, think about how you sip hot soup from a spoon...
Otsuka_Nene_eating_Soup.jpg.scaled1000.jpg

You draw air in through your mouth only. Assuming you've never ended up with a nose full of soup... you've got this part nailed down.

When exhaling, think about how you blow out birthday candles...
longevity1.jpg

Steady exhale straight out through your mouth. Assuming you've blown out birthday candles without covering the cake with snot... you've got this part nailed too.

But is it normal it hurts in my nose even when I do not breath but just take my face into the Water? I do not get water down my throat.

But is it normal it hurts in my nose even when I do not breath but just take my face into the Water? I do not get water down my throat.

How comfortable are you swimming? Maybe it would help to spend more time in a pool just swimming to get more comfortable in the water.

We'll need more info as to the character of the pain. Is it an irritation of the tissue inside your nose? Immediate upon contact or does it take a while? Is it cumulative with multiple exposures? Could be a reaction to chlorine or other chemicals in the pool. Have you had such a reaction to pool water in the past?

It is inside the nose from bottom to the sinuses. The pain is immediate when my nose enter the water. I have tried in my bathroom with normal water and get the same reaction so I do not think it is because og the chlorine or other chemicals. It hurts a little bit after I have taken my head up of the water.

---------- Post added January 26th, 2015 at 04:56 AM ----------

I have not been the biggest pool person in the past and when I used a pool or the beach I never took my head under Water. Maybee I am just not used to have my head under the Water...

If you are getting water up your nose when your mask is off, it is most probably uncomfortable at best, and painful at worst. To avoid this, maintain a slow exhale through your nose when your mask is off, and then clear properly when you replace the mask. Many divers, especially new divers, have an issue with nose breathing. With time, the problem should become less and ultimately go away.
DivemasterDennis

Back
Top Bottom