Must-have accessories for first boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looks like we're heading to Key Largo in April. I've decided to hold off buying major equipment until I have some experience, but I figure there's some important stuff even a newb should have.

I currently have:
Mask
Fins
Snorkel
Dive Computer
GoPro + accessories - yeah, not exactly critical, but it's fun :wink:

What other "little stuff" makes sense to have?

Safety Sausage?
Whistle or noise maker?
knife?
other?
[is a compass included or at least available with most rentals?]

Thanks in advance!
-Don

Depends a bit on what you mean by a dive in Key Largo.

For a reef dive I would say as a min a small sausage which can be deployed at the surface and a compass. You want to avoid surface swims, unless low on air. More than once in the Keys, especially when I started out, I have gotten lost and made an ascent and saw the boat in the distance. I take a compass heading on the boat and drop down and come in along that heading. Before dropping back down be sure to give the long distance I am ok signal to the boat.

If I am going to be on the one of the deep wrecks, or doing drift dives on the outer edge, then it changes. I have a large sausage the can be deployed at depth from a reel. I also have a signaling device (there all the time but we are talking about adding gear to you). I also have a couple of marker devices if I find myself drifting at sea. I do not use a whistle though I have one with me. I use an air horn integrated into my inflator hose.

Add to others' lists a BOAT BAG. Carry your stuff in a collapsible bag that won't impede aisle or dive entries. Leave your gear travel bag or hard case back at the hotel. Have a great trip. I love diving the upper Keys.
DivemasterDennis

Add to others' lists a BOAT BAG. Carry your stuff in a collapsible bag that won't impede aisle or dive entries. Leave your gear travel bag or hard case back at the hotel. Have a great trip. I love diving the upper Keys.
DivemasterDennis

Add to that a small dry bag.

My 2 cents - make sure what ever you bring -
1) know how to use it or deploy it
2) only bring it if you can carry it without overloading yourself

If this is your first boat trip - I would caution you to stay within your comfort zone and dont multitask with items you are not comfortable with (such as the GoPro can be distracting).
Have fun and then add accessories as you need them on subsequent boat rides.

Was reading old thread the other day and someone posted the distance horn & whistle were audible. Can't remember exact distance but it seemed very short to me. Sound travels on the water....maybe wave action is a factor though.

Thanks for the link - it's a good refresher, and there stuff in there I didn't know. I've sailed a bit over the years - maybe not enough to be a seaman, but I still seem to have the knots and most of the vocabulary in this leaky old sieve I call a memory. I suppose all those rigging terms I've picked up reading and re-reading the Aubrey-Maturin books won't help much on a diving charter... not much need to trim the mizzen t'gallant staysail on a diesel.
Cheers,
Don

---------- Post added February 2nd, 2015 at 03:25 PM ----------

Don't forget the bananas, and perhaps a banana holder.
I'm not sure, but I think I resemble that remark!
:bigmonkey::banana:

Back
Top Bottom