Computer/Transmitter question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know some people have strong opinions about transmitters, but this isn't a thread about the wisdom of buying one.

I bought a dive computer, and was given the transmitter as a gift (Amphos Air).

I intend to ONLY use it with a SPG as a backup.

I'm a datahead, and I like seeing my air consumption plotted with the depth profile after a dive. I'm new at this, and it's nice to get the feedback (and see the improvements as I dive more.)

BUT I went diving on a family trip last month and was shocked when the instructor had to disconnect the SPG in order to attach the transmitter. Not enough ports in the reg. All's well that ends well, but I felt a bit naked without the SPG backup.

So questions:
(1) Do most rental regs have enough ports (4?) to take the transmitter and SPG?
(2) Do dive shops object to putting a diver's transmitter on their regs?
(3) Am I silly to always want the SPG as a backup? Any of you actually dive with only a transmitter?
(4) Will keeping the transmitter seriously limit my choice of reg when I eventually decide to buy?

Sorry if this is a well-worn topic.

-Don

1. most rental regs do not have 2 HP ports, buy your own
2. most will probably prefer to have you dive with their SPG not a transmitter
3. yes and no. If you are doing dive plans where you go to the surface if the transmitter link fails, then that's fine, no need for extra SPG, if you want to continue the dive if the link fails, then you should have one.
4. no, many regulators have 2 SPG ports.

Not sure how up you are on supporting local business, but John runs a great shop out of Allentown, may be worth swinging down there and seeing what gear he has available, regulators are cheap and are worth owning your own, even for travel.
Northeast Scuba Supply

Hog D1 Regulator Set - Dive Right in Scuba
this is the best buy in regs right now, John will price match it, buy a pair of those for $400, and an SPG for $50-$80, few hoses and you'll be good to go. See if you can get one of the first stages in Yoke for travel, then you can swap back and forth if you go DIN later down the road for your own tanks. The Edge Epic is also a sleeper for travel regs but the price hike last month has really killed their value.

My answer is: buy a regulator with two HP ports and stop renting. You can get a HOG D1 for $180 if money is a major concern.

Some will, some won't. Many less expensive regs only have one HP port. It'll be a gamble. You can always call ahead and ask about HP ports when planning a trip where you will rent.

Again some will, some won't. I read a story on scubaboard about some cooky shop that alienated a customer for changing a hose on his own reg!

(3) Am I silly to always want the SPG as a backup? Any of you actually dive with only a transmitter?
No, I think most people with hoseless (at least most on scubaboard) seem to also use a backup SPG. Now days I do not bother with a backup when I dive with my transmitter. It's not like the transmitter failing is going to cause your gas supply to instantly disappear. If it fails and you can't read gas, end your dive. Easy enough.

(4) Will keeping the transmitter seriously limit my choice of reg when I eventually decide to buy?

Only on the low end/budget range of regulators. With HOG out there you can even get budget regulators with two HP ports if you wanted.

Most regs except the lower-end models in a mfr's range have two HP ports. In ScubaPro's line for example, the MK2 has one - the MK11 and every better model above it has two. All of the Atomic's have 2. Depending on design, most regs also have between 4 and 7 LP ports for optimal hose routing for your LP devices. Every other brand is probably similar - although most newer models have two standard now. The MK2 design is at least from the 80's if not earlier - it's the typical reg I see in rental fleets as it's a classic downstream so even if it fails, it will still flow some air. And they're cheap(er).

While I think Hog/Edge is a good value for the money, they don't have the dealer presence outside the U.S. that some of the more established brands do - in some large geo areas like the South Pacific - I'm not sure if they have any dealers yet. Since you don't sound like you're ready to self-service regs - that may be a consideration for you - albeit a minor one. I've had exactly one reg fail in decades and it cost me one dive till I could get back to shore and have the shop's tech repair it.

Since rentals are generally low end and older it probably didn't.

I would've just used the computer for depth/time and kept the SPG attached. Most shops aren't going to want you to add your transmitter to their equipment. Both because you may strip the threads, lose the port plug etc. and also there's liability involved if something happens. And in the excitement of leaving, don't forget to your transmitter either...LOL - happened to someone I know. Fortunately he realized it a few days later, called them and they found it still attached.

Transmitters are pretty reliable as long as you maintain the battery in both it and the SPG. Your idea for redundancy is probably the best IMO though. Even though you should abort the dive if your computer fails, it's nice to know your remaining air while you do. very occasionally transmitters lose their sync - I've seen it happen twice with my buddy's Oceanic. Both times it recovered almost immediately.

What some people do is buy a single small SPG and put it on a short hose for backup. There's a lot of them available but here's some options:
https://www.divegearexpress.com/regulators/spgsonly.shtml

I bought what's known as "mini-gages" so I have both depth/pressure on a hose in a smaller form factor and computer on my wrist. Mine aren't sold any longer but I believe Tusa still makes a set. It's basically 2 1.75" gauges in a very small wraparound console.

Since most stores or resorts rental regs are not top of the line, or even mid line, they'll likely have only the one HP port.

Shouldn't, I have done it for customers. As long as you verify the it is functioning and not leaking before you leave the shop. If they balk at it, rent the reg, take it home and make the change yourself. Simple as righty tighty, lefty loosey. Understand that if you mess it up somehow the store could hold you responsible to pay for damages ie: cross threaded port

Some do, some do not. In the grand scheme of things it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, it's what you feel comfortable with.

No. If you buy a reg with only one HP port and you still want to use the transmitter and SPG, just purchase a HP adapter.
ac906.jpg

The down side of the adapter is it tends to make the hose and transmitter stick out from the first stage more.

...... Any of you actually dive with only a transmitter?
Yes. For recreational diving I have been doing that since 2008. Never had any issue.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

I know some people have strong opinions about transmitters, but this isn't a thread about the wisdom of buying one.

I bought a dive computer, and was given the transmitter as a gift (Amphos Air).

I intend to ONLY use it with a SPG as a backup.

I'm a datahead, and I like seeing my air consumption plotted with the depth profile after a dive. I'm new at this, and it's nice to get the feedback (and see the improvements as I dive more.)

BUT I went diving on a family trip last month and was shocked when the instructor had to disconnect the SPG in order to attach the transmitter. Not enough ports in the reg. All's well that ends well, but I felt a bit naked without the SPG backup.

So questions:

Sorry if this is a well-worn topic.

-Don

As others have said.

1. I haven't rented but one time, The time that I did there was only 1 HP port and I used their SPG.
2. I have seen places that allowed it, in fact I have been on a couple of boats that the DM help put the transmitter on for the customer.
3. I don't think you are silly at all for wanting an analog SPG. I don't keep mine on my reg set but have it in the dive bag in case there is a problem with the transmitter, I only lose part of a dive. I have also loaned my spg to someone who had their SPG fail on a live aboard. It is what you are comfortable with and it shouldn't matter if you do or don't want to use one.
4. I would say it might limit your choice but but not a lot. I don't think I looked at any reg to buy that didn't have 2 ports, besides you can always buy the adapter that was pictured earlier.

I still keep the SPG in the dive bag as a backup and I also have/use a backup computer.

I dove for years with just the AI transmitter, no SPG. No big deal. The Suunto worked fine, and you can reset the code if you do something odd that confuses it. I only had a problem when I get handed 5 tanks in a row with less than 1000 PSI, the transmitter and computer got all confused by that but recovered fine after a while.

But in retrospect, I'd suggest using an SPG too.

I dove for years with just the AI transmitter, no SPG...

I agree. It depends a great deal on the kind of diving you do, your self-rescue skills, and buddy habits. It is a non-issue if your dives are within NDLs and you’re willing to abort the dive if your computer goes blank (most conservative option). It also isn’t much to get worked up over if your dives are shallower than you can comfortably perform a free ascent or CESA. No problem at all if you carry an adequate redundant gas supply.

There are lots of moving parts to consider. I also second getting your own regulator for tons of reasons.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom