Wrist vs watch style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tlehman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a low-experience diver and planning to buy a computer before an upcoming trip. I was at the store today looking at Oceanic computers. They have the Veo 2 wrist and the Geo 2 watch style. I take it they are similar capabilities. The watch is more compact, but still very readable - has four buttons versus 2, but I think that's related to its function as a watch. The Veo is larger, very readable and could be put in a console at some point as a backup if I decide to upgrade computers later.

Opinions? One is $399 and the other $369 so the price difference is insignificant.

BTW, I'm confused about the download cable. It is an option for $80-90, but the details say the firmware is upgradable. Am I right to assume that is only if you have purchased the cable or am I missing something?

Go for the wrist style. Easier reading=ease of use underwater. If you really want a watch get a G-shock...you can always use it as a back up bottom timer in case your computer goes kaput.

I would say go with the wrist watch style computer...and maybe wear it as a watch, also...and....You would absolutely NOT want a computer in a console. ..you dont want a console , ever....lots of drag, and too easy to snag on the bottom or get caught on too many things.....many new divers drag them along the bottom in sand , coral or muck....much like a plow pulled by a tractor.

I enjoyed my watch-style computer for years, right up until I had to give it up because my eyesight got too bad to read the small display. But I liked the advantage of always knowing where it was: on my wrist throughout my dive trip except for the few seconds my arm was being put into or taken out of the sleeve of my wetsuit--and then it was in my other hand. It was never misplaced or likely to be stolen or accidentally sat upon on a dive trip. I also kind of enjoyed being able to look at the log of the dives I did that day while nursing a beer at the bar in the evening. The watch computer was just plain cool and fun. However, my new Petrel more than makes up for the loss of these, eh, benefits.

Wrist style computer for me. And if I need to know the time I look at my cheap watch.
How much would I prepare to pay for a computer? US$300.00 is my absolute max.
BTW, I am still using the 1st computer(Aladin Pro) that I bought in 1996.

Apples VS Oranges. You get the same thing from both for you diving needs; it comes down to preference.
Watch styles have extra features that allow you to use it as an everyday watch. Time of day, stop watch, countdown timer etc etc.

Functionality depends on the brand.
The Veo2 would be a dedicated Dive computer and really has no function as a daily wear watch other than telling you time.

My general complaint on Watch style is their strap is not long enough for wearing high on your wrist with any type of wetsuit thickness above 3mm. So I end up having to use the spare strap extender that usually comes standard with Watch style Computers.
And I have very small wrists. I also prefer Seiko SKX007 Automatic Analog watches for my every day wear. :wink:

For that reason I prefer Large Puck style Computers (ie. Wrist)

Tom, if you're going to spend that much, you might also consider the Oceanic Atom 3.0. If they still have them, Coral Edge is selling them for $555, and that's with the data cable and the wireless air pressure transmitter. If you don't want wireless air pressure, you can easily (I think) sell the transmitter for $150-200 (I think), and you'd be left with a (arguably) better/nicer computer AND a data cable for about the same money as either of those others without the data cable.

1. Some people like the watch style as they wear them 24/7 using is both as a watch and a badge of honour marking them as a diver.

2. Some (and I used to be in this category) have a wrist mounted which is slightly large than the watch style - Sometime they are easier to read, just function as a dive computer - thus worn only when diving

3. The third (outside of the price range you have indicated) are the much larger wrist mounts with big displays. Generally they have more advanced functions and capabilities as well as being able to read in low vis, or when you have deteriorating eye sight (At 50 I'm just having to start to wear reading glasses :( )

My Cressi Leonardo (Used as an example of the second category) served me well as a computer. It was Nitrox, could down load the dives (via a adaptor) and a nice safe reliable computer. I needed to change because I needed one that could hold multiple gases for Accelerated Decompression diving and it was getting harder to read.

Always my recommendations for gear are. Does it serve the purposes you want? Is it in your price bracket. Is there a dealer locally for repairs. For computers is the battery changeable by the owner, is a new battery easy to obtain?

---------- Post added February 18th, 2015 at 10:31 AM ----------

You would absolutely NOT want a computer in a console. ..you dont want a console , ever....lots of drag, and too easy to snag on the bottom or get caught on too many things.....many new divers drag them along the bottom in sand , coral or muck....much like a plow pulled by a tractor.

Dan, I appreciate what you are saying but. Lots of people already Dive consoles with their Air contents, depth gauge and even compass on them (Mine is just contents as a back up) Rather than advising no-one to have a console for the reasons you point out, surely it would be better to advise that a console is properly stowed during a dive so it's easily readable but doesn't drag all over the place?

Dan, I appreciate what you are saying but. Lots of people already Dive consoles with their Air contents, depth gauge and even compass on them (Mine is just contents as a back up) Rather than advising no-one to have a console for the reasons you point out, surely it would be better to advise that a console is properly stowed during a dive so it's easily readable but doesn't drag all over the place?
Sorry, I tend to go "over the top" with some of my reactions on some types of questions.
The console may do the job for a diver that will NEVER want to be close to the bottom--and this may as well be divers using the jacket style BC's that have a lot hanging on them in the frontal area as well.

The kind of diving we do in south florida, will often put on on a coral bottom, or on a wreck, literally 6 inches off the bottom, in order to escape the effects of a strong current. A diver 3 feet off the bottom in the same area, gets blown away like a leaf in the wind. A diver that is totally flat horizontal, in low back back inflate or bp/wing style bc, with NO hoses or consoles hanging ( which IS the way these BC's are meant to be configured) , can get very close to the bottom, and NOT be snagged by things on the bottom....not be damaging the bottom or silting it.

The console is far more frequently found with the big bulky jacket style BC's, and very often, the console is on the end of a long hose, and is constantly dragging well below the diver. As you suggest, this would be much better if clipped off, but the whole issue of this type of jacket and console combo usually shows a diver that really can't get very close to the bottom without hooking on to things, and getting snagged on the bottom.

[video=youtube_share;dgdabfvr2B0]http://youtu.be/dgdabfvr2B0[/video]
If you start this video about 40 seconds into it, you will see a dive class that exemplifies everything bad about consoles, jacket bc's, and bad instructors that teach students on their knees( due to defective instruction skills or desire to run high volume for profit over quality of instruction) Later in the video, you see the problem with the octos and the consoles...

About 5 minutes in to this, you can see how the students wearing jacket BC's tend to swim at a near 45 degree angle--head up, feet down, so that their feet are constantly dropping down and often hitting the sand, even though their heads are several feet up above the bottom--and they feel like they are swimming well up above the bottom--and not even thinking about possibly hitting the bottom with their feet. This is called TRIM....when you are near the bottom, the diver should be flat horizontal ( as in the 2nd video below this). While it is possible for a jacket BC diver to have absolutely PERFECT TRIM, with some body types, this can become hard to accomplish, as the jacket style is not nearly as customizable for weighting and trim as the bp/wing styles are....And...even if you can get the perfect trim out of the jacket ( like good instructors will show with a jacket BC), you still have lots hanging down on your chest and torso area that sticks out and can/will snag the bottom--far more so than the MUCH CLEANER chest and torso bottom of the bp/wing or a good back inflate bc.
[video=youtube_share;kWrlXJ_EL_k]http://youtu.be/kWrlXJ_EL_k[/video]

In this video, my friend Errol is wearing a BP/wing style bc....while he happens to be using doubles, had he been wearing his single tank version of this for the recreational dive, he would have looked identical throughout the video, but with a narrower and smaller wing, and just one tank :) *** Note how close Errol swims next to the bottom, without silting the delicate muck or hydroid environments. This skill and gear configuration, is a big deal for photographers or video shooters, as well as it is for those exploring in places with currents, or minor penetration needs where you must be close to the bottom.

Last edited:
Rather than advising no-one to have a console for the reasons you point out, surely it would be better to advise that a console is properly stowed during a dive so it's easily readable but doesn't drag all over the place?

It's entirely possible to tie a bolt snap to an SPG/PDC console and clip it to the left hip D-ring like the DIR prescribed SPG placement. That works well for me, and there's nothing that dangles. At least not excessively :)

If you have a three-instrument console, like a SPG/PDC/compass combo I suspect the console would be a bit too long for that solution, though. However, since I prefer a wrist bungee mount for my compass, that isn't an issue for me.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom