Seasickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gabriel Torres

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I am a new diver and got certified (PADI) last month. My main issue is with seasickess. I got sick on ALL four dives from my course. Diving from shore. No boat involved.

On the second day, I took two Kwells tablets, and still got sick. Took two more. Got sick again.

I am so frustrated that I will probably just give up diving. How come I get sick by diving from the shore, even after eating almost the whole box of medicine?!?

Anyone with similar experience? Is there a solution?

Thanks,
Gabriel.

I just looked up Kwell, to see what its active ingredient(s) is: hyoscine hydrobromide.
There are lots of other possibilities....try a different drug.

What are your symptoms? Are you sure you were motion-sick?

The Scopolamine patch is very effective for some people. The problem is keeping it from falling off.

Bonine and Dramamine is effective if used properly.

-With Dramamine I find the best way to take it is by taking a dose prior to going to bed the night before, and then taking another right after I wake up.....Seems to be fool proof that way. Any other method I have tried with it does exactly no good at all.

I have even heard of people having success with the magnetic bracelets that they sell at boating supply stores...I always thought they were a gimmick, but some of my friends have had outstanding levels of success with them.

Don't give up on diving if you enjoy it. Try some different things and see if they cure your motion sickness issues. I used to never get motion sick..not even in 15' seas. One day I got sick on a reef dive and ever since then I have battled the same issue. It took me a few years to really narrow down how to combat the problem...my way works for me 95% of the time....the other 5% I just suck it up and deal with the queasiness.

Different strokes for different folks. Try a different medicine.

I only use Kwells and find it very effective. In fact, I get it shipped from AU to US. With any sea sick medicine it's only effective if taken before you begin feeling sick. I like to take mine a few hours before. Not sure if you did that or not?

Hello,

I am a new diver and got certified (PADI) last month. My main issue is with seasickess. I got sick on ALL four dives from my course. Diving from shore.

What were the shore dive conditions? That makes a HUGE difference. If you had lots of surge and big swells, then the answer might be as simple as in the future dive in nicer places. If it was glassy calm and no current or surge we have an issue to deal with.

What happened on your pool dives? Any vertigo?

I get sick on boats and take Scopace for it, but I have gotten sick twice on shore dives as well. I have never tried Scopace (oral scopolamine) before shore diving and maybe I should. In my case, I believe that exertion played a part both times. In both cases I had carried heavy gear a good distance and followed it up with a longish surface swim. In each case I became sick only after surfacing from the dive--which makes getting back to shore a real chore.

If these conditions are similar to what you experienced, you might try taking it easy. Make multiple trips to move your gear instead of trying to take it all at once. Take your time on any surface swim and be sure to make a really slow ascent at the end of the dive.

BTW, the active ingredients in Scopace and Kwell are both hyosine, so it may not be true sea sickness. That doesn't make it any less irritating for those of us who have experienced it.

Initially, I tended to get sea sick on boat dives. I find that Triptone, same active ingredient as dramamine, helps. On rough days, I would often spend the surface interval in the water. For some odd reason, the chop did not matter if I was in the water. I have noticed another odd thing, if I am in a bunch of surge in shallow water and trying to focus on small critters, I have felt some twinges of motion sickness. From my own experience, I think, the triggers for motion sickness can be specific.

i have found with more and more time spent on boats, I am getting bothered less and less. I don't even take medication any more.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom