Newly certified, but I still have some questions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ready4Launch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Now, I have my mask, fins, snorkel, booties, and gloves. When I rent a BC, I kind of know how my weighting was setup and could probably get it setup again. So...

1) When I go to rent, do they ask me what kind of weight distribution to provide???

2) When I get my own BC, how do I go about getting weights and making sure they're distributed properly? Does the DM help with that? Do I have to rent a guide to go with me? Do I have to buy a number of each weight to bring along? How do I go about figuring out if I want to use a weight belt?

I mean, as it is right now, I don't know anyone. I didn't book a spot on the boat tomorrow, because A) I feel like I need to get some other basic stuff first, i.e. a surface marker and at least an inexpensive waterproof watch, and B) I don't have a dive buddy. So, if I get new gear, show up to a boat by myself, I'm not going to expect some random person the DM teams me up with to figure out if I'm weighted right. I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to get that sorted out.

3) Until I get a dive computer, any recommendations for an inexpensive dive watch?

4) I know I can't use this with the water temps I have local right now, but is there any other reason why I couldn't dive in a 3/4 surfing wetsuit?

5) Does anyone dive alone when going on a boat?

Nothing I am going to say here is intended as mean, so please don't take it as such....

Don't be "that guy" who doesn't know how much weight he (or she, he is just easier to type!) needs, what the breakdown is, and for whatever exposure protection you might be wearing. Take notes on every dive (one great use for a log book!!) and in addition to the weight you used, note the distribution and whether you felt you were heavy or light (or just right). You should at least know a good starting point for your weight requirements, when in doubt have a few extra pounds.

Don't be "that guy" who insists he can only dive with 1 lb weights in his trim pockets....or some weird combination. If all they have are 2's, deal with it or buy your own weights. Personally, I own my own, but I can still gear up anywhere with whatever they have on the boat. As long as I can get my fat ass under the water, I'll dive with 5's if it means I can get wet!

When you have your own BC, get some weights and get in the water. Figure out how you like it and what works best for you. What works for me is meaningless to anyone but me. Get in the water, move weight around until you're comfortable, and then know what you need yourself.

Until you get your own dive computer, rent one when you dive. Don't dive without one unless you're planning on doing your dives 100% by the tables, in which case you can get a cheap waterproof watch to use, like a Casio G-Shock.

As far as exposure protection, use what works for you. If someone else doesn't like it, smile and move along. I got my drysuit with purple accents...anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my pucker.

Lots of people go without a buddy. Let them know when you get on the boat (not right before you are jumping in!!!) that you need a buddy. Let them know your experience level and what gas you'll be diving so they can pair you up appropriately.

Use your dive log to learn what you need, what works and doesn't work for you, and how you felt on the dives. Your dive log is for you, and until you're 100% comfortable in the water in any condition, I would recommend using it to take notes for your future diving needs.

Oh...and most important...have fun!!

Even if you own your own BCD, are you going to pack weights in your suitcase? Typically when you get on the boat or rent a tank they will ask you how much weight you need.

Ideally you should perform a buoyancy check with the exposure suit and BCD you rented before you get on the boat, but often you only get the gear right before you get on the boat, and you usually don't want to get in the water in the harbor.

If you didn't get a chance to do a buoyancy check but have a general idea about how much weight you need then tell them, if you have no idea tell them that, they will take a guess that is likely to be better then yours (as they do this every day). Then on the first dive on a boat you should get in at the start of the rush and perform a bouyancy sanity check and ask for more lead if you don't sink or only slowly sink or give some back if you sink like an anchor when you start to let air out of your BC. If at the end of the dive you can't hold a 10-15 foot safety stop you need at least a pound or two of lead for the next dive.

If you are diving from the beach you should do a more formal buoyancy check like they should have taught you in your OW course.

And in either case you should write down what your exposure suit was and how much weight your used and whether you felt right, like an anchor or all floaty.

Lots of good advice. Were you properly weighted during the course? Can you get access to a pool, perhaps where you were certified? Of course, add 5-6 pounds going fresh to salt water. Shop personel should be able to give you a fairly good idea of weight distribution when they know what BC, fins, etc. that you have. I didn't find it a big problem--pretty much used the same weighting I had on my OW course (have dropped 4 pounds over the years). Once you are set with how much weight you need (and have done a weight check), you will be able to buy the appropriate weights. If you're a little off, it's handy to have an extra couple of 1 & 2 pounders (I lost one out of my pocket once, plus a buddy may need extra). If you are going to the tropics you will need way less weight--I took mine to Panama (10 lbs. I think)--a good place for them may not be the carry-on, although they let mine pass after questioning it.
--I always go on boats by myself. Sometimes a good buddy works out, every now and then not.
--My $25 Walmart dive watch (to like 300 feet) is still going since 2011 (I stop it after each dive day, as I have heard that once the battery goes a watch can be more prone to leaking at depth).
--wet/exposure suit--use whatever works for you. In the tropics I used a swimmer's cap instead of my hood--to help keep water from going far into the ears. Have never seen that before, but who cares?

Nothing I am going to say here is intended as mean, so please don't take it as such....

Don't be "that guy" who doesn't know how much weight he (or she, he is just easier to type!) needs, what the breakdown is, and for whatever exposure protection you might be wearing. Take notes on every dive (one great use for a log book!!) and in addition to the weight you used, note the distribution and whether you felt you were heavy or light (or just right). You should at least know a good starting point for your weight requirements, when in doubt have a few extra pounds.

Don't be "that guy" who insists he can only dive with 1 lb weights in his trim pockets....or some weird combination. If all they have are 2's, deal with it or buy your own weights. Personally, I own my own, but I can still gear up anywhere with whatever they have on the boat. As long as I can get my fat ass under the water, I'll dive with 5's if it means I can get wet!

When you have your own BC, get some weights and get in the water. Figure out how you like it and what works best for you. What works for me is meaningless to anyone but me. Get in the water, move weight around until you're comfortable, and then know what you need yourself.

Until you get your own dive computer, rent one when you dive. Don't dive without one unless you're planning on doing your dives 100% by the tables, in which case you can get a cheap waterproof watch to use, like a Casio G-Shock.

As far as exposure protection, use what works for you. If someone else doesn't like it, smile and move along. I got my drysuit with purple accents...anyone who doesn't like it can kiss my pucker.

Lots of people go without a buddy. Let them know when you get on the boat (not right before you are jumping in!!!) that you need a buddy. Let them know your experience level and what gas you'll be diving so they can pair you up appropriately.

Use your dive log to learn what you need, what works and doesn't work for you, and how you felt on the dives. Your dive log is for you, and until you're 100% comfortable in the water in any condition, I would recommend using it to take notes for your future diving needs.

Oh...and most important...have fun!!

So, are you saying that when I get on a boat with my new BC that is BP/W style and completely different from the jacket style that I certified in, then the boat will give me the weight I need? How do I figure out if a weight belt is good for me?

The boat will give you the amount of weight you request. You will have to conduct a weight check or know the amount you need.

When your BC doesn't have integrated weight pockets, and you need additional weight , that is how you know a weight belt is good for you.

Ready4Launch, we all went through this. When you get your own gear, you have to fiddle with it a bit until you figure out how much weight you need and where to put it. If you live somewhere where all the good diving is done from boats, you may have to do some not-good diving (i.e. shore diving in someplace with nothing to see) in order to sort this out. Or, if all else fails, you can work in a pool, and make the numerical adjustments for going to salt water, with a bit of guesswork as to where the extra 5 pounds or so have to go.

When you travel, things might be different. You might be in water with different salinity. You might be diving different exposure protection from what you use at home. For example, I did a trip to the Socorros. That's real salt water, more saline than Puget Sound. Although I was diving my dry suit, I was diving different undergarments, because the water, although not "warm", was certainly warmer than at home. And I was diving a tank I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole at home, with totally different buoyancy characteristics. This was a configuration I'd never really put together, so I had to do some off-the-cuff calculations and estimates, and then add a bit of weight to make sure my first dive wasn't a cluster. But generally, boats and resorts know that the first dive will be a shakedown for most everybody, so they choose a benign site where you can drop off the boat, and get back if it turns out you are underweighted. (Now, for places like Florida where people go out on day boats, this may not be true.)

I would highly recommend that you do what you can, in a pool or in shore-accessible salt water, to sort these issues out, before you spend the money for a boat charter. It will make your life more pleasant, and endear you to the boat and your buddy-to-be.

The boat will give you the amount of weight you request. You will have to conduct a weight check or know the amount you need.

When your BC doesn't have integrated weight pockets, and you need additional weight , that is how you know a weight belt is good for you.
Having a weight belt with numerous velcro or clip closed pockets makes it a lot easier and faster to adjust your weighting than the old-school style weight belt.

Whether you want some or all your weight on a weight belt, in droppable pockets on the waists belt of the BP/W, bolted to the back plate or attached to the tank is a personal decision based on how you want to work it (and how you need it placed to get your trim and balance right). I'd really strongly suggest you have at least some of your weight in something easily droppable so you can become positively buoyant without the wing if needed.

Ventura isn't too far from Pasadena.

Since you're talking about a BP/W you could do a lot worse than to drive over one day and talk to Tobin at Deep Sea Supply. He will be able to suggest the optimum wing/plate size/material for the type of diving you plan to do. And fit/adjust it at the same time if you buy from him.

His backplates take bolt-on weight plates in a very streamlined configuration so you may not need a belt at all. It's probably a good idea to have some ditchable weight though. https://www.deepseasupply.com/

Last edited:
So, are you saying that when I get on a boat with my new BC that is BP/W style and completely different from the jacket style that I certified in, then the boat will give me the weight I need? How do I figure out if a weight belt is good for me?
All your questions are good and valid questions. Unless you are using a radically different style from what you trained in, you should have a clue how much weight you need. It might help to go to the shop you will be booking your dives with and discuss all these questions days before you actually plan a dive. They can probably hook you up with a dm partner for your dives (they might charge extra for this). Every boat I was on that put a dm in the water was always willing to have the dm be your buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom