WOW! My dad and I actually looked like we knew what we were doing yesterday!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday was our second Saturday in a row of pool practice. We will be doing our first ocean diving next week. We haven't been wet since October and only have 10 dives under our belt. Last week we just brushed up on drills, form and buoyancy. Yesterday I added the dive flag and reel to the mix in order to practice that extra piece.

Long story short, I was completely impressd with our performance yesterday. We were under water for a bit over a full hour on 2700psi. We communicated, stayed vigilant and maintained awareness. Our hands and arms were kept close to the body. Our heads were tilted slightly downward. We used head positioning and our feet for navigation and propulsion. One time the line got tangled a bit in my fin and I handled it with tight and precise movements, my father even commented how the maneuver looked like it was out of a training video. We were able to turn on a dime and even stop in place and hold buoyancy. It was a blast pretending the pool floor was the reef as I effortlessly glided by.

Now, I understand the pool floor is flat and the reef isn't. There is current and chop. The lighting may differ, animals will be everywhere and more serious dangers lurk in many places as opposed to the pool. I am just very proud of my dad and myself for improving dramatically at something that once seemed outlandish to us. Honestly, at first we just wanted to experience a different kind of rush with scuba diving. But now we obviously have found something we immensely enjoy and it is proven in how we perform today.

It always does my feels good to see the sense of pure stoke come out in new divers. Good on you and your Dad! Keep diving!

Where are you going diving? As much as you enjoyed the pool, one good dive on a reef and you'll be hooked forever. Congrats and have fun. :)

Good on 'ya! More people ought to jump into a pool and practice and get comfortable!

We were under water for a bit over a full hour on 2700psi.
What does this mean? You used 2700 psi in an hour? If so, I have a couple of comments.
1. Assuming you were using a 3000psi AL80, it is probably not a good idea to drain your tank down that low....inaccuracies in pressure gauges and the way that regulators work mean that you may have run out of breathing gas at any moment. The second stage of your regulator requires maybe 150 psi in the tank for it to work right, and the pressure gauge can often have 50-100 psi error in it. So 100 plus 150=250 psi, and you had 300...that's pretty close!
2. If you breathed 2700 psi in 60 minutes, that is 45 psi/minute, or over 1 cuft per minute. That is a pretty high breathing rate in a swimming pool (no current, warm, low stress, probably not a lot of work). At that rate, you'd use up your gas on a nice 35 foot reef dive in half an hour. Assuming you and your dad are sort of normal sized and reasonable fitness, you could probably get your breathing rate in the pool down to 30 psi/minute, or even better. How do do that? Relax, breath slowly in and maybe even more slowly out. Move in slow motion, take it easy.

These two comments are not meant to be critical, but rather things to be aware of and to work on. Many divers haven't a clue how their gear works: take an equipment class! Many divers never learn to control their effort level and breathing: work on it! Make sure you are not carrying more weight than you need, relax.

You on on your way to a great hobby. Enjoy!

Kudos to you for getting in the pool to practice, and it's wonderful to hear someone so excited about polishing diving skills. The better you dive, the more fun you have (and arguably, the safer you are, too). Looking forward to hearing about your ocean dives!

Pretty precise math for the rough estimates I gave but I'm picking up what you're putting down. Like I said it was a bit over an hour and keep in mind we also were performing drills and other activities that are unusual to a standard dive.

Kudos to you for getting in the pool to practice, and it's wonderful to hear someone so excited about polishing diving skills. The better you dive, the more fun you have (and arguably, the safer you are, too). Looking forward to hearing about your ocean dives!
Yes, you're better than I was about practising skills when first certified (a LOT better). You are of course right about open water vs. pool. Sometimes what you think will be a very benign dive can pose more problems than a "complicated" one. I recently had such an experience diving the Atlantic right from my house. I am prone to cramping and getting up in age, so that is always a consideration. I try to look at each dive as it is my first--maybe that good frame of mind makes up for my lack skill practise as a beginner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom