Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryNJ

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
My son and I will be taking a trip to Utila to become Open Water Certified. We are going the first of May. It seems most of the schools there include 2 fun dives after the classes. Would you recommend we take the Advanced class certification during the same trip? We have plenty of time and the advanced padi course includes a night dive. Or would it be better to just dive after we are certified and do the advanced class another trip?

Also any recommendations on dive schools in Utila?

I would recommend taking the advanced course right after your open water course. You don't learn that many new drills/skills in the advanced course. Rather, you experience different types of diving (Deep,Nav,Drift,Night, Fish ID etc..) it will really open up your experiences.

My wife and I waited because we were worried it would be too much too soon, and we were wrong. The Advanced course just gave us more experience and gave us a confidence boost.

That was my initial thought too Wolfle. I appreciate your thoughts.

The AOW is not advanced at all, but I think it's more enjoyable after you've had a few dives. Don't wait too long, but don't do it straight after OW.
You will still be improving and trying to manage all the things that you have just learned, you'll be focused on your body position, buoyancy, finning, controlling descents and ascents, air consumption, etc. Why add to that working with a compass or doing a deep dive with extra tasks? If they really try to teach you something during those adventure dives, it won't be so easy for you to be comfortable and you won't learn as much.
Use the two extra dives they offer you!

I would recommend that you get in some fun diving and practice your OW skills, then do AOW on your next trip, preferably after a few tune up dives to check your memory if you don't dive at home.

Have Fun

Bob

get 25 dives after cert, then get AOW. And at 50 dives, take Rescue.

Just my opinion, and what I did.

Agree that you should do some more dives first. In general I recommend not rushing into getting certs... develop your skills and confidence gradually. You'll get more out of the courses and build a more solid foundation.

Another consideration may be where else you plan on diving. Taking AOW back home in colder water might be the best way to get introduced to a very different diving environment, perhaps with dry suit. That way, you might get more out of the course than if you just tagged it on to OW.

Everybody's different, so I won't presume to say "do this" (or that). Some folks enjoy training sessions. Some prefer to practice on their own. Some would appreciate more dives under supervision. You might want to consider waiting to decide. If you really like your instructor, you might want to dive more with him/her. Will the fun dives that are included be under supervision? etc.

Everything starts with Buoyancy! Take a Quality Buoyancy Class before doing anything else. Without Buoyancy & Trim we don't have Control. Having Control allows us to protect our environment, communicate with buddy, navigate, take photos etc....

Back
Top Bottom