Diving Log Sample

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namerg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello all,

Finally I got certified at the Homestead crater in Utah. But, one question.

Does any body has a sample for what to log if you do one dive ? what about two dives ?

For example:
Where do you get all the info about Visibility ? Temperature ?

And if i was using a Dive Computer, what info should i enter in the Computer Dive line ?

What about Bottom Time To Date ? Time This Dive ? Cumulative Time ?

I just need sort of template and guide for my future dives.

Thanks a lot for your help,
G

Does any body has a sample for what to log if you do one dive ? what about two dives ?
General rule of thumb: One entry per dive. Two dives in a day: two log entries. You decide what to log, i.e., nothing, basic numbers, a short description or a long essay. It's your log, you decide what's going into it. I like to log viz, temp, exposure protection, tank type/size, weighting, what happened, what did I see, and lessons learned.

Where do you get all the info about Visibility ?
Guesstimated

Temperature ?
Read from the PDC, measured with a thermometer or guesstimated. My PDC gives surface and bottom temp, I like to log both.

And if i was using a Dive Computer, what info should i enter in the Computer Dive line ?
I write make and brand

What about Bottom Time To Date ?
Sum of bottom time before current dive

Time This Dive ?
I log run time, i.e. time from submersion to surfacing. Given by the PDC. Easier than the standard definition of bottom time, i.e. time from submersion to start of ascent (not given by my PDC). The old-fashioned "bottom time" definition (time from submersion to start of ascent) becomes quite fuzzy when you're not diving a square profile.

Cumulative Time ?
Bottom time to date plus time this dive.

In my book you log today's dive time and add that to total time, continue on. Temperature--I use whatever the lowest temp. is on my gauge (some places like shallower may be warmer on that dive due to sun). I rarely use my computer, but I imagine I'd take the coldest read from that as well. Viz I believe is generally thought of as the distance you can make out another diver. Of course I put the usual stuff- max and avg. depth (I estimate avg.), profile (pressure group if using tables, etc.), date, etc. Also I put what shells I collect and anything different I see.

You can use whatever template you like, it's your personal log. If you certified through PADI then your dive log should have lines for most of your questions. It includes a template for time in, time out, depth, temperature, visibility, weight, exposure suit, beginning PSI, ending PSI, and a few other variables. And there is a space to record any other comments you wish to put down with an area for a stamp or your dive buddy's signature.

It's up to you to decide what you want to record. Most common stats tend to be exposure suit thickness with associated weight, visibility, and temperature. If you want you can record dive boat v. shore. Dive site. Dive buddy. etc. Whatever you like. But the wetsuit and weight is the most useful log. If you haven't been in your 3 mm wetsuit in a year since your last vacation and you can't remember exactly how much weight you used then having it in your log is very, very helpful. The rest tends to be "fluff," nice to know but not really necessary for the next dive.

Personally I like to record dive buddy, wet suit thickness and associated weights, temperature, max depth, and visibility. I've stopped recording PSI, time in, and time out. Some divers like to use the beginning and ending PSI to calculate SAC and air consumption but I've never done that so I don't record that data anymore.

You will find the max depth, time, temperature readings off of your dive computer. The rest is self explanatory in regards to dive buddy, shore, weights, etc. The visibility tends to be a guestimate. If you are sitting at the surface and look down you can start guessing the depth based on how well you can see the bottom. If you look down and the bottom is crystal clear and then you drop down and your computer reads 50 feet then the visibility is at least 50 feet, then you can guess the rest.

Hmm, I am PADI certified (newbie) I will review again the Diving Log for the templates you are talking about and I will post what I wrote on my two dives dived on the same day. Yes, weights and equipment accessories are self explanatory.

I am assuming PDC is "Personal Diving Computer" ?

I am assuming PDC is "Personal Diving Computer" ?
Yup :)

Now, if you hang around Scubaboard for some time, you'll see that there are widely differing opinions on logging dives. I'm in the "log as much as possible" camp. I like re-reading my logs to re-live my dives, I refer to my log when I want to check on what weighting goes with what tank & exposure protection and how I rigged my camera rig an how that worked. Others don't even bother to log. As a noob, you would probably benefit from logging at least the basics, because it might be necessary to show that log for further classes. If you don't plan to continue your education, it's all up to you. I don't understand those who don't log, because even with my (moderate) number of dives, I've had some use from going back into my log to check what worked and what didn't. Also, I regard my log as a diary, too, and I like to re-read the log and reminiscence the cool things and the, uh, not-so-cool things that happened. YMMV, of course.

Thanks Storker. I agree with you. I want to improve my diving skills and have my logs as point of reference for the future dives.

Glad this has been asked! I fill in my log book but never too sure what to write in the comments section. My instructor / buddy always ask why I have no comments!

..... Does any body has a sample for what to log if you do one dive ? ....
Since you ask for it .... I log pictures I take during the dive :wink:

divenav_sdc_20150315.jpg

Since you ask for it .... I log pictures I take during the dive :wink:

I really like this feature with a digital log. It's a blast to link media to the dive and go back later and reminisce etc.. I also print out a paper version with the dive info (mainly 'cause the wife is an artist and made me a really nice logbook cover) for hard copy backup and if I ever need to produce it for a dive OP for some reason (hasn't ever happened, but who knows...). :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom