Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey yall, what's the best gear to get for beginners that will be good and dependable....?

OK... you're new so, first, welcome!

Second... you're actually asking a rather broad question. So broad, that it's difficult to answer. In general, there is no "best gear" due in large part to the fact that almost ALL gear is very "good" and very "dependable."

Are you already certified? What kind of diving do you want to do near term? Long-term? Where?

My advice when it comes to gear is "buy your second set of gear first." I think too many people buy "new diver gear" too soon and end up replacing it relatively quickly. Gear that an experienced diver will use for a decade and more is perfectly fine for a new diver, and often not much more expensive... if at all.

Information about various pieces of gear is widely available here on SB and is yours for the browsing. Check out the various forums. I won't do the typical newb-bashing of saying "use search" because there's way too much info... but scroll through and skim some information to help form a knowledge base.

Hey yall, what's the best gear to get for beginners that will be good and dependable....?
Gear that fits them, is comfortable to them and is suited for they type of diving they will be doing.

Don't get to hung up with brand, color or super fancy features.

it depends on what conditions you'll be diving in and where and how often. Your instructor should be able to guide you. just don't buy stuff based solely on price. Cheap gear will not last and won't perform. The name brands cost more for a reason. With dive gear you usually get what you pay for.
One plug for a line of quality gear that is a great value is Hog and Edge (Edge | HOG)
also a good line is Subgear (http://www.subgear.com/en-US/). Subgear is ScubaPro's more value driven line.

it depends on what conditions you'll be diving in and where and how often. Your instructor should be able to guide you. just don't buy stuff based solely on price. Cheap gear will not last and won't perform. The name brands cost more for a reason. With dive gear you usually get what you pay for.
One plug for a line of quality gear that is a great value is Hog and Edge (Edge | HOG)
also a good line is Subgear (http://www.subgear.com/en-US/). Subgear is ScubaPro's more value driven line.

So... inexpensive gear won't last and won't perform, and "You get what you pay for"? But you recommend that the OP look at "value-driven" products which are, by definition, less expensive gear?

Also... which gear is not "name brand" gear? Do you often see a regulator or a BCD or computer (or any piece of scuba equipment) that DOESN'T have a name brand on it?

How does the OP tell the difference between "name-brand gear" and "gear with a name brand on it. Especially when an awful lot of it is OEM'd in the same factory, with the last step being which logo is applied?

I agree you should buy gear that is going to last.

Mask: Whatever fits you properly and doesn't look like it will fall to bits.

Computer: Personally I like Suunto computers, but there are plenty of other decent ones out there. Look for nitrox capability; pretty much all have it, but you may want to look whether it allows gas switching and mixes greater than 40% in case you ever want to do accelerated deco. Gauge mode is useful if you ever want to use it as a bottom timer - I use a Heinrichs Weikamp OSTC 2n now, which does trimix, CCR etc. My Suunto Vyper Air, that I had first, still comes along on the dive as a backup bottom timer. If know you will only ever want to do recreational diving, the Suunto Zoop is a great computer and very good value for money but does not have the features I mentioned.

I'd go with a wrist mounted computer rather than console mounted. I prefer the larger ones rather than watch style though, as they are easier to see in poor visibility. I am not a fan of enormous consoles on your HP hose. Air integration is a gimmick IMO, but there are people that like it. It is not something you need to have though.

Fins: Try and borrow a few and see what works for you. Fins are a very personal thing and what one diver likes, another may find tiring, lacks propulsion and gives them cramp.

Regs: Buy good quality and consider what you can get serviced. I'm a massive fan of Apeks - they are good quality, value for money and easy to get serviced. HOG gear gets some good recommendations, but we don't get them here so I couldn't comment. Think what diving you'll do - if you will be doing cold water diving, you need to ensure your regs are suitable.

BCD: There is always a massive debate about jacket vs. backplate and wing. I'm in the latter camp. A BP&W is equally suited to both a shallow bimble and really deep techie stuff. The advantages are they are no-nonsense, uncluttered, hard wearing, individual components can be replaced when they wear out, and they will take any equipment configuration.

Exposure suit: Depends on what sort of diving you will be doing.

Last edited:

Get the best quality that you can afford that fits properly and performs the function you need it to. All of these are important. Fit and function are of equal importance.

The one thing to consider is how does it feel "diving". Trying things like fins or BC's in a pool means so much more than on the showroom floor.... Try to get pool time with equipment before you buy...

Start with what your dive center has to offer. Then go for comfort and fit for a bcd and regulator. Your question is so general no one can offer a really meaningful response. You will get persoal bias answers, and lots from people who have only ever used one brand. Do some investigation on your own. You will be better for it.
Divemaster

That's the crux of the matter.

There really is no designated beginner scuba gear.

How would a new diver know what to look for and how it should feel. Besides the obvious such as too big or small and this hurts.

In fact what is considered expert/tech gear is actually as or more simple compared to most jacket BCD's when all is dialed in.

I agree with RJP about buying the right gear the first time. It may be more expensive but properly maintained equipment should last 10+ years easily.

Since your not even certified yet, just buy a low volume black skirted mask that comfortably fits such as the Atomic Subframe, Oceanic shadow, Hog Razor, Hollis M1, etc. The cheapest snorkel, fins and booties if required. Rent everything else. Fight that urge to buy everything you think you need. You can easily drop $3000 only to find out that you want a wrist computer instead of the attached console, BCD BP/W instead of the jacket BCD. I still have my oceanic split fins that cost me $120 used for four pool dives. Tried and true jet fins were only $10 more. You will also be shocked at the resell value in the classifieds. Hence why I still have those split fins in my basement. So buying twice will always be more expensive.

Save yourself a ton of money and get certified in rental gear. Then ask the shop or find one that has access to a pool and will allow you to tryout different types of gear or let you rent for a few dives in each. Make sure they are adjusted correctly. The research here on scubaboard is extensive. So use that search button and make notes.

I'm in the BackPlate and Wing camp. I was lucky to have an instructor that was well versed in both BCD jacket and BP/W styles.

My 14 year old son just ask me if he can get certified. So being I only want the best for him and not have him learn the hard way. We spoke about different types of gear. He ended up buying a gently used BackPlate with wing and regulators with environmentally sealed first stage and adjustable second stages on a long hose short hose configuration. He is not even certified and has gear that can be used for where ever his diving takes him. He would just have to change his webbing when he grows and a doubles wing when he so desires. So it is he that will progress from beginner to experienced, not his gear.

Back
Top Bottom