Do i really need a Dive Computer for first time in the ocean ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

namerg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I am just wondering if i need a dive computer if i am planning to go to the ocean for the first time in a 4 hour diving trip ?

Thanks for your help,
G

I am just wondering if i need a dive computer if i am planning to go to the ocean for the first time in a 4 hour diving trip ?

Short answer: No. One approach is to plan your rec dive and your repetitive dive as square profile dives using tables. Be back on the surface *before* you hit your NDL, after a very slow ascent. Start your liberal surface interval once your'e out of the water. To be even more conservative, begin *dressing* for your repetitive dive once your surface interval expires.

I don't use a dive computer.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

If you're diving with someone, they'll probably rent you one reasonably. In the Caribbean that's about $20-25/day. Some operators will provide one free also if they want you to have one - they log your depth/time that way.

No, if you know your Air tables, etc. But yes, if a dive operation (charter) requires it. And see above re square profiles. I do these even on the rare charters I take. I use the computer and it's nice to read what your no-stop time is, but I still look primarily at my watch and depth gauge. Depends on what kind of diving you do. True "multi-level dives" are better done with a computer.

Hello,

Thanks for your help,
G

I am going to buck the trend here and Say NEED NO but should have YES! your first dives you will have a lot happening around you, things to remember and things to see all while trying to have the most fun. You need a computer to make it one less thing to worry about essentially a computer to babysit you and do for you what you should be able to do yourself but may forget about because of all the other things that you have happening. Rent a computer its worth the $10 to $25 that its going to cost you

You never NEED a dive computer - but at a minimum you DO need something that lets you track your bottom time, something that lets you track your depth, and tables with which to plan your dive.

A computer makes all of that easier and if you are in for the long haul is a good investment.

We learned to dive before computers were available and we dived the first 6 or 7 years without one; but after the first time we rented them we were convinced and bought our own. The computer is easier and you get more bottom time when using one. So no, you don't need a computer - and it would be good to become familiar with the tables - but I still prefer diving with a computer.

You don't need a calculator to do multiplication problems, but it is certainly much easier (and in some cases more accurate!) to use one.

Last edited:
Gonna buck the trend here too. You can certainly dive tables. Some dive operators say you NEED a computer to dive with them. In that case the answer is YES.

For divers who do not dive frequently, a computer is a good reminder with bells and alarms in case you get distracted. This should not replace being vigilant about your own safety by monitoring depth, gas and NDL times but is a good backup safety system.

If you dive frequently a computer is a good investment. I hope it is never needed but in the case of an incident, the computer can give some valuable information to Medical services.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom