Tipping after cert.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galvanf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have to admit that during my first dives I did not tip, mainly because I didn't know if it was expected. My gf I'd getting certified OW this week in Playa and I have no idea if I should base the tip on the cost of the cert or the tanks per day. Any insight will be much appreciated.

The dive instructors are paid to be there but most of the time Dive masters are just there for support and do not get paid. From what I have seen through Scubatoys, the students will tip the dive masters if their experience was good. Obviously this is just what we see here so it may different all around the world. Our classes are two weekends and $199.95 so the tip is usually $20-$30.

Instructor tipping is rare. Might be more common in resort locations.

Honestly do not know what the big deal is..if you had a good experience with the class then tip the instructor with a few $$$ ( if it was a private class then anywhere from $60 to $100, and group class with 4 or 5 people in it, then $20 to $30 each would be appreciated ) and tell them they did a great job..same goes for any dm during any diving that was done. Many places it is usually $5 a tank .if the dm had to accompany you and not just load the boat with tanks and perhaps lead a group , because of your being scared/nervous then tip more...really people if you have to ask, it's because your heart is telling you to show your appreciation. If your heart tells you not to then don 't..
last night I was in a restaurant and asked for a booth as I had 4 people with me..there was a empty one and one soon to be empty. Stupid hostess says they are reserved. I protested but she did nothing. I usually tip at 20% ..this time less than 10%.. On the way out I told her the tip would have been more than double of what it was if we had the booth. The reserved booth never sat anyone,stayed empty all night. The look on her face showed she knew she f&@:/'ed up..if and when I go back there and the same crap is pulled I will just remind them of this and then walk out.
So the whole story is if you know a good job was done and perhaps even exceeded expectations, reward them. Lousy job done then let them know they suck and lost out.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 05:30 PM ----------

Instructor tipping is rare. Might be more common in resort locations.
Sorry RJP if that is the case . Here it seems more common than not. Especially with a private class of 1 or 2 students. Usually see $100. And a hearty thank you.

Reactions: RJP

Sorry RJP if that is the case . Here it seems more common than not. Especially with a private class of 1 or 2 students. Usually see $100. And a hearty thank you.

Maybe you're not charging enough for the class?

:d

Rate is $650 for a private 1 to 1 ow class with standard presentations.. If elearning it is $550
for group ow course it is $269.
this is for academics and confined water only. Training dives are additional

Reactions: RJP
last night I was in a restaurant and asked for a booth as I had 4 people with me..there was a empty one and one soon to be empty. Stupid hostess says they are reserved. I protested but she did nothing. I usually tip at 20% ..this time less than 10%.. On the way out I told her the tip would have been more than double of what it was if we had the booth. The reserved booth never sat anyone,stayed empty all night. The look on her face showed she knew she f&@:/'ed up..if and when I go back there and the same crap is pulled I will just remind them of this and then walk out.

So you short the waitress her tip because the hostess didn't give you the seat you wanted. Nice. You're a class act.

Ok, not looking to turn this into yet another discussion on the merits, or lack of, of tipping. Just want to know what is the SOP (Standard Operating Procedure, for non military types) for tipping after a cert in Playa del Carmen, scheduled with Dive Op and not sure how many people will take part. Pretty specific situation, not that many variables.

---------- Post added March 30th, 2015 at 10:53 PM ----------

Mods, if it starts getting out of hand feel free to close/delete thread

Last edited:
So you short the waitress her tip because the hostess didn't give you the seat you wanted. Nice. You're a class act.
Nope, just happen to know they split their tips there..waiter was no great shakes either on changing table after we asked for booth after seeing it stayed empty.Never delivered water that was asked for twice..like I wrote I usually tip 20 % when they do their job and we have a good experience. Rarely need to do less than 20%.. Last night was first time in many years. We go out anywhere once to twice a week.

Back
Top Bottom