Help choose the right BC & regulator system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WarriorWolf

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey,

I want to buy this nice package on joedivers.com, and want to make sure of the BC & the regulator system.

1. In my previous thread members adviced me to the back-inflate style and with profound posts they also advised me to the travel style of the back-inflate BC.

So, the I think is good in the package page is this one:
Mares Pegasus Back Inflate Weight Integrated BCD at JoeDiverAmerica.com

2. I want a balanced diaphragm regulator because I understood that it breath smoothly underwater. And should be nitrox compatible.

How about this one.
Mares Prestige 12S Scuba Regulator at JoeDiverAmerica.com

What confuses me in the specifications section that it's not nitrox compatible, where it's known that most new regulators are nitrox compatible.

So is it or not?

Hi WarriorWolf.

BC - buy one from your LDS, try it on and make sure it fits (with a tank attached)

Regulator - by all means buy online but make sure your local LDS can service it

My personal advice is that if both these items are available locally at your LDS ask them what price they would do the package for.

All regulators should be fine up to 40% Nitrox

Hey,

I want to buy this nice package on joedivers.com, and want to make sure of the BC & the regulator system.

1. In my previous thread members adviced me to the back-inflate style and with profound posts they also advised me to the travel style of the back-inflate BC.

So, the I think is good in the package page is this one:
Mares Pegasus Back Inflate Weight Integrated BCD at JoeDiverAmerica.com

That BC says it is 45 pounds of lift. If you're going to be diving in warm water, that is probably WAY more lift than you need. Like twice as much as you need, or more. And that means it's bigger/bulkier than you need, by a lot. More drag in the water, when you're swimming, etc.. Heck, even if you were diving in a 7mm suit, in cold(er), fresh water, with a steel tank, that's still probably WAY more lift than you need.

Hi WarriorWolf.

BC - buy one from your LDS, try it on and make sure it fits (with a tank attached)

Regulator - by all means buy online but make sure your local LDS can service it

My personal advice is that if both these items are available locally at your LDS ask them what price they would do the package for.

All regulators should be fine up to 40% Nitrox

I can't try it, I'm dealing with small shop which doesn't have this advantage. And these gear are very expensive in my country.

That BC says it is 45 pounds of lift. If you're going to be diving in warm water, that is probably WAY more lift than you need. Like twice as much as you need, or more. And that means it's bigger/bulkier than you need, by a lot. More drag in the water, when you're swimming, etc.. Heck, even if you were diving in a 7mm suit, in cold(er), fresh water, with a steel tank, that's still probably WAY more lift than you need.

I actually didn't understand what is the weight of lift!

I checked the Web page again and did not get it :)

I actually didn't understand what is the weight of lift!

In simplest terms, lift is the amount of weight that the BCD can buoy; so this one would be able to keep 45lbs of negative buoyancy afloat.

But if you don't understand the concept of lift - including how much you need - you really oughta not be buying a BCD just yet since you won't know what you're buying or why.

PS - try not to put to much faith in what total strangers with not much more diving experience than you have to say about what gear you should get.

---------- Post added April 23rd, 2015 at 10:55 PM ----------

Heck, even if you were diving in a 7mm suit, in cold(er), fresh water, with a steel tank, that's still probably WAY more lift than you need.

Hmm... how did you come to that determination?

In simplest terms, lift is the amount of weight that the BCD can buoy; so this one would be able to keep 45lbs of negative buoyancy afloat.

But if you don't understand the concept of lift - including how much you need - you really oughta not be buying a BCD just yet since you won't know what you're buying or why.

PS - try not to put to much faith in what total strangers with not much more diving experience than you have to say about what gear you should get.

Do you mean the maximum weight of a person in water that the BCD is able to keep floating?

So I'm 110lbs out water, so how much I weight in water?

I have to buy it very soon, I'm ready to buy the package, I only need to choose the bc and regulator.

Well, thanks for the nice advice. In regards to my faith in total strangers' experience, I have to ask for their experiences and share my opinion in different ways whether to complement their answers, ask for more details about that specific answer, go more in depth or thank them.

And what I have to say about what gear, even if I don't know much or have no idea, I still have to ask, otherwise I will not learn.

The evaluation of their experiences is related to me, because when I read the answers, I think about it and reply or not.

If I joined a diving team in USA in one the big diving organizations, then of course it would be better and wonderful.

And because I consider myself alone, I have to search for answers.

Hmm... how did you come to that determination?

Does he mean more lift than I need, that the bcd is powerful for my weight?

Do you mean the maximum weight of a person in water that the BCD is able to keep floating?

So I'm 110lbs out water, so how much I weight in water?

I have to buy it very soon, I'm ready to buy the package, I only need to choose the bc and regulator.

It's not terribly complicated, but there's more to it than "how much do I weight in water" which is why you really shouldn't buy a rig when you don't yet even know what you're looking at.

Have you even covered buoyancy and weighting in class yet? Much of this will become clear when you do.

You clearly need some professional help with this acquisition and I'm not sure you can get that from joediver. I suggest you contact Dive Right In Scuba | Plainfield scuba diving lessons and scuba equipment. We also provide scuba certification for the Chicago area.. They are very active on this board and seem to have an excellent reputation and great prices.

It's not terribly complicated, but there's more to it than "how much do I weight in water" which is why you really shouldn't buy a rig when you don't yet even know what you're looking at.

Have you even covered buoyancy and weighting in class yet? Much of this will become clear when you do.

Come on .. help me !!

I'm 170 cm tall and weigh 54 kg which is 110lbs.

What is the best bc for me?

I mean the back-inflate mares has xs size too. So why they would manufacture this size for 45lbs lift bc if it wouldn't be suitable for thin boys?

Come on .. help me !!

I'm 170 cm tall and weigh 54 kg which is 110lbs.

What is the best bc for me?

I mean the back-inflate mares has xs size too. So why they would manufacture this size for 45lbs lift bc if it wouldn't be suitable for thin boys?

Have you not learned about bouyancy and weighting in your class yet?

Back
Top Bottom