Thigh Cramp

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I experienced a thigh cramp the other day while diving. Now I have occasionally cramped in a calf muscle, but had never had the thigh go like it did. We were searching for moorings in the bay, so it wasn't very deep, less than 20 feet. The water temp was 49°F and I was diving wet and had been in the water for a while, but was not cold or uncomfortable, hands and feet and everything were fine. Anyway, the cramp totally immobilized me and I could not get it to ease, so I inflated my BCD and surfaced and tried to float comfortably until the boat got to me. Once aboard, I found standing with weight on my leg helped ease the cramp. It hasn't happened since, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some way to ease a thigh cramp while in the water, like pulling on the fin tip for a calf cramp?

The water temp was 49°F and I was diving wet and had been in the water for a while, but was not cold...

- 49°F water?
- diving wet?
- in the water for a while?

You were cold.

Never sure why so many divers seem to confuse "I didn't die from hypothermia" with "I wasn't cold."

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

Once aboard, I found standing with weight on my leg helped ease the cramp. It hasn't happened since, but I was wondering if anyone knew of some way to ease a thigh cramp while in the water, like pulling on the fin tip for a calf cramp?

Which muscle was cramping? While the thigh has several major muscles. I'm assuming you mean the back of your thigh or a "hamstring cramp" in common parlance. (Though hamstring actually refers to the tendons connected to the three major posterior thigh muscles.)

leg-muscles.jpg

Just as with your calf, the way to help alleviate a hamstring cramp is to stretch it out...

hamstring.jpg

If you're limber enough - and can straighten your knee while doing it - grab your fin tip, straighten your leg, and bend at the hip to stretch the hamstring muscle out.

Alleviating any cramp is tough mid-water, since you've got nothing to push against​ while trying to stretch. If there's a mooring. rock, etc handy - or even a taught line - use that to help provide an opposing force to push against.

Re cramps, I've been advised to consider whether I'm well-enough hydrated. this is true for running, as well as diving.

- 49°F water?
- diving wet?
- in the water for a while?

You were cold.

Never sure why so many divers seem to confuse "I didn't die from hypothermia" with "I wasn't cold."

---------- Post added May 26th, 2015 at 11:10 AM ----------

Which muscle was cramping? While the thigh has several major muscles. I'm assuming you mean the back of your thigh or a "hamstring cramp" in common parlance. (Though hamstring actually refers to the tendons connected to the three major posterior thigh muscles.)

leg-muscles.jpg

Just as with your calf, the way to help alleviate a hamstring cramp is to stretch it out...

hamstring.jpg

If you're limber enough - and can straighten your knee while doing it - grab your fin tip, straighten your leg, and bend at the hip to stretch the hamstring muscle out.

Alleviating any cramp is tough mid-water, since you've got nothing to push against​ while trying to stretch. If there's a mooring. rock, etc handy - or even a taught line - use that to help provide an opposing force to push against.

Great post!

My "thigh" has recently starting cramping too, near the end of a dive, especially one that is long and/or cold. I think of it as "hamstring." It is more specifically (I believe) the adductor magnus. Continuing a frog kick to get out of a silty cave is impossible. Climbing a ladder or out of the water onto a shore is impossible. My buddies are impossible....they just stare at me. I try and grab my fin tip to stretch the leg out straight...but I need to hold that a good 30 secs or so for it to have any effect. Buoyancy goes to crap, and then viz if I'm near a silty surface. The best I've found in a cave is to rise to the ceiling while I fuss with my leg. I drink water, eat bananas, all that. Keeping my leg warm over the course of a dive works the best. Alternating kicks (in open water) helps.

All the above posts are fine for most people. I'm in very good shape (for my age....my Dr. says so), stay hydrated, etc., exercise regularly. I believe for some like me serious cramping is a matter of heredity. 80% of my cramping disappeared after I started daily potassium pills. One way you attack a cramp while diving (calf or thigh, or anywhere) is to rub it vigorously. Use the other leg to swim (assuming cramp not in both thighs/legs). Or use arms (breast stroke for little drag) to get somewhere--like the shore or anchor line. Pull yourself along on rocks if they're there--or on anything (the heck with the environment if you're in serious trouble). If the cramp leaves, use that leg gently (not using is at all tends to make cramping return). I always dive wet and have cramped regardless of water temp. There are times I've cramped in the tropics and not in 40F or less water in Nova Scotia. Aside from heredity, fitness, etc. I believe there are probably numerous other factors that cause cramping. I often use the frog kick to switch things up for my legs.

Needless to say, try the usual "fin grab" method first. And if shore diving do what you have to do to get to where you can stand. If you are prone to serious cramping, don't wander to where you may get too far from shore or boat--possibly encountering current. Always have an exit strategy for if you cramp.

I've always had cramp problems while diving. Both calf and thigh on second and third dive of the day on 3 tank trips. Sometime even on first dive. I got in shape, got into running (run 5K in the mountains 3 times a week). I hydrated properly, ate natural sources of potassium. Nothing worked. The only thing that helped me was "Bodyarmor" sport drinks. They are modern take on sport drinks, more up to date then Gatorade (Gatorade I've tried before and it didn't work). More potassium, less sodium. I've used it before for long runs or bike on hot days. Tried it for diving and it just flat out helped. No more cramps. I hydrate as usual, get a bottle before first dive, then half before second, half before third. Works for me, YMMV.

80% of my cramping disappeared after I started daily potassium pills.

Potassium plus magnesium if you have electrolyte issues (which due to your personal individual biochemistry may not be what a doctor would call "deficiency" or "imbalance"). Coconut water is probably the best source for it.

I've used one of these after workouts for years:
GoFit Foam Roll - 18" - REI.com

Generally cramps in hamstring and/or side bands are very hard to stretch out in the water, you pretty much have to switch to a different kick and try to relax them away. That last bit tends to not work too well if you're cramping because of the cold. I've limped out of the pool and into the showers once or twice with a cramp I couldn't even walk off...

It is more specifically (I believe) the adductor magnus.

The adductor magnus gets me on the bike sometimes. Typically during a climb towards the end of anything in in the 100mi range... especially if it's hot/humid.

You know how painful it is; now imagine it hitting you while cleated into your pedals and climbing a nice hill!

If I get a cramp during a dive, it will always be a hamstring muscle. They respond well to the same stretch you use for calf muscles, as long as you keep your knee straight.

I won't get into the potassium thing again, except to say that if you eat a normal diet and don't have anything wrong with your kidneys or your blood pressure, it's hard to be potassium deficient. Most muscle cramps are due to insufficient conditioning of the muscles, or significant acute overuse.

If I get a cramp during a dive, it will always be a hamstring muscle. They respond well to the same stretch you use for calf muscles, as long as you keep your knee straight.

I won't get into the potassium thing again, except to say that if you eat a normal diet and don't have anything wrong with your kidneys or your blood pressure, it's hard to be potassium deficient. Most muscle cramps are due to insufficient conditioning of the muscles, or significant acute overuse.
Well, if it is true, then how else can i condition my muscles (running religiously 3 times a week, a lot of steep uphill parts and proper road bike 1-2 times a week, always includes some steep climbs). Although, i do have some nerve damage due to back issues (including history of surgery). "Body armor" before diving helps me. It is coconut water based and is rich in potassium and magnesium. I am not affiliated with the company in any way, just share my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom