Hogarthian

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Essroc123

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot about diving lately and inevitably the topic turns to DIR. I do not mean this to be a troll I am asking a genuine question here....

I completely understand the idea behind DIR, and some of the reasons that it was developed.

Some time ago I came across the term, "Hogarthian". I searched this very board, and not a lot came up on it.

From what I do understand, it is another diving style, but what exactly is it? Is "style", the right word to use in this context?

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Safe Dive,

Will Johnson

"Hogarthian" refers to a style of equipment developed by William "Hogarth" Main and friends for cave diving. It is the basis for the equipment configuration used in DIR methodology.

what chickdiver said

There's also a philosophy behind it, the style of the gear configuration was a logical development of said philosophy.
It's not enough to simply copy a gear configuration, it's also necessary to know the "why" behind it.

Hogarthian is the precurser to DIR. I've heard some people say it's DIR without the attitude or it's pervasive totalitarianism.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom