Dive buddy quest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Johnbone

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm new to the scuba scene and am completely hooked. My problem is that I am having a hard time finding a dive buddy. Is there someplace else in the forums to post for a dive buddy other than the regional/club section?

Ive posted on dive buddy.com and have been looking almost all over the place but not with much luck. I'm in north Jersey and figured that having the coastline would make it relatively easy to find someone. No luck.

Suggestions are very welcomed.

thanks

Have you contacted the local dive shops for buddy boards or social networking? Whenever I'm traveling on business and a have an unexpected day to spare, that's my go-to move.

Are there any dive clubs in your area? Clubs run by diveshops? Independent clubs?
Search for:
"north jersey" dive club

There is a HUGE active dive community here in NJ. Where specifically are you located?

Your profile mentions Blue Water Divers... they are pretty active running NJ dives on Gypsy Blood and of course are always up at Dutch.

Try New Jersey Scuba Diving Forum.

Or better yet,
Move to SE Florida.
We have no shortage of great dive buds, warm water, and cool stuff to do in the water.

Chugt
Thinks that "Nuevo Hersey" esta no Bueno para SCUBA.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I didn't know about the links and info you guys mentioned, but I'm a little limited as I just got my OW cert a couple of weeks ago. Didn't know you could contact the dive shops and see if they have a message board. The couple that I did happen to see only had classes going to Dutch Springs.

RJP - I'm live up North in Sussex County, but I'll drive almost anywhere to dive. I looked at the Gypsy Blood and they are running a wreck dive to 90 feet...neither of which I am certified for.

But if anyone is reading this and you are near me and looking to dive, message me and If I'm not working, I'll gladly go.

Thanks for the info, guys. I'll look into it.

Op my 2 cents -

I went to DiveBuddy.com and you have posted 3 times or at least that is all I can see - I see you posted to dive Dutch - perhaps you need to reverse your thought process and look for others that also want to dive the areas you want to dive and reach out to them - you were OW certified 9 days ago - which does not make you toxic but sounds like you are rushing things.. Reminds me of an old girlfriend I had and she wanted it now and did not want to wait - all good things come in good time... you need to be patient or you are going to burn yourself out before the next diving season...

In the Pennsylvania / New York / New Jersey forum it looks like you posted yesterday - again expectations might be high on your side on how this works - it is the same as meeting and gaining friends - it takes time - slow down and take a breath... Again look at who is diving where - folks including myself are posting there - what interests you? Reach out to those people and ask politely... It works I can tell you from experience.

I used to laugh with a girl on how to meet folks and we came up with the idea that everyone has to eat - so hang out in the supermarket and bump into someone you want to meet... start a conversation and see what happens...

If you post that you are looking to dive - but dont put in saltwater or freshwater or what days work or shore dives or boat dives - you are going to get very few hits... but if you target your audience and give them something to think about - you will get hits. Or better yet do some research and decide what dives work for you - look in the posts and find out what you think might be fun - reach out to a few folks - some might be able to dive this weekend or some have kid duty on Saturday - some can dive the weekend after but maybe only on Sunday - BE FLEXIBLE and be realistic in terms of what you can do what is a good entry level dive for you. Then go reach out... Nobody bites around here unless you use split fins and a snorkel.

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom