How NOT to start scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

uboettger

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Inspired by a report about starting scuba diving training a couple of posts ago here is my story about how NOT to start scuba diving.

From my early childhood on I loved being in the water. I learned how to swim at an early age. My parents gave me a mask and a snorkel, later on some fins. From that point on they could hardly get my out of the water during vacation times. Growing up I always wanted but never managed to get proper training for scuba diving, not during college times and not in my postdoc program.

In January of 2006 I decided to go on a vacation to the Dominican Republic. Since travel times from Europe are a little bit longer than from the U.S. or Canada we decided to stay at a well-known hotel area in Punta Cana for almost 3 weeks. Beforehand it never crossed my mind that there would be an opportunity to find scuba-diving training.

What does the promotion video of a big training agency say these days? Inspiration hit while I was hanging around at the pool when a guy from the hotel dive center showed up with two sets of equipment offering tryout scuba diving in the pool. I liked it very much – and here my mistake began. Instead of postponing my training to the next vacation, getting more information on courses, prerequisites and quality marks for scuba courses I immediately started taking an OWD course with that dive center.

The instructor came from the Netherlands o at least we were able to talk in German. Teaching the theoretical parts was limited to a self-study of the OWD video footage and the book. No class, no real opportunity to ask questions about the things I had seen or that I had read. The 10-minute floating test was not supervised, and I cannot remember whether I had to swim 200 meters at all. Pool sessions were limited to two, and I did not have the feeling that I “mastered” all those exercises. My longest training dive in open waters lasted 32 minutes, and my ears were ringing days after since I had problems to equalize. I did not get any feeling for buoyancy besides I never understood the concept itself. At the end I got my certification and did two or three more dives with that dive center. I never felt well, and I never enjoyed the dives.

Now why did that happen that way? The instructor told me that she was getting paid a low fixed salary. On top of that she had to earn money by collection “points”. Those “points” were awarded by the dive center for guiding dive trips, conducting courses and discover scuba activities at the pool, but also for acquiring new customers or doing work at the dive center. Instead of individually assessing my needs as a customer to get me the training I needed her mind was always focussed on the next opportunity or activity that could get her “points”. I understood her dilemma but the training that I felt was less than poor kept me away from scuba diving at home and for another year.

For all those considering scuba diving training:

After some 400 dives I am still mad at myself that I did not get enough information at the beginning to get training of high quality fitting my needs. So before you decide to take your training in one of these big resort diving centers that you can find in Mexico or the Dominican Republic or at other travel destinations use all available sources to get more information down to your future individual instructor. Use online review platforms or your friends who might recommend a good instructor to you. You usually get just one chance to feel well under the seas.

Good advice, I wish people researched the courses they sign up for more than they typically do. There are poor quality courses out there but there are lots of really good ones too

Good advice, I wish people researched the courses they sign up for more than they typically do. There are poor quality courses out there but there are lots of really good ones too

Absolutely agree. But how do you defeat the "how much does it cost?" mindset that seems to drive most people?

For all those considering scuba diving training:

After some 400 dives I am still mad at myself that I did not get enough information at the beginning to get training of high quality fitting my needs.

I got certified recently in Kona, HI, after doing my "intro do scuba" a few years earlier in Maui in a very similar way to how you did the whole course - a local instructor showed up and it sounded like a good idea. While I did have good time (being very comfortable in the water to begin with,) my wife didn't. She didn't get the individual attention she needed, she wasn't properly weighted and she couldn't descend easily. At the end of the free pool trial, she decided not to go to the ocean and risk terminating the dive for the whole group. Unfortunately, this made her sour on the possibility of future diving.

When I decided to get certified, I researched my options and arranged it beforehand, but it didn't occur to me until later that it was the wrong approach to the initial trial that affected my wife and not her "not being a water person." She did a standalone session in the pool in Kona and it was much better, but she is still reluctant to try a guided open water tour.

Your post shines more light on how it can all affect you if the first impression is bad and it gives me a reason to believe I might get my wife to try open water after all.

Absolutely agree. But how do you defeat the "how much does it cost?" mindset that seems to drive most people?

It's easy to say that if someone buys on price instead of quality and has a bad experience then good enough for them but I know that for the majority of newcomers that price is at least a consideration. We know what goes in to a course and therefore its value and for us it is easy to say that people should never look for the one that is $10 cheaper but as you say, it is a mindset that drives most people.

It still comes down to research. Before people research the specific options as to where to get certified they can find out things like the potential pitfalls in undervaluing their education, if that is they have that much interest in the first place.

In any area I have been to where there are an abundance of dive centres there are always one or two that are proud to be more expensive than the others and will usually be more than happy to explain why. I think a lot of it is down to us on this side of the industry to ensure we do not undervalue our profession by competing on cost. If given the opportunity to explain why the course is $30 more expensive with you then it should be an easy sell but of course often the chance is not there as the price speaks for itself.

I think that if there is a noticeable difference in quality/experience then in todays digital age this will shine through to enough people to maintain their numbers.

After some 400 dives I am still mad at myself that I did not get enough information at the beginning to get training of high quality fitting my needs.

No reason to be mad at yourself; you did what you thought was best at the time. And look where you are now... 400 dives later.

Thanks for sharing your experience, but you should let go of the negative feelings... and just go dive.

I take this as what I think it is meant as - a warning to new divers to be careful where they get qualified and to not always chase the cheapest deal.

I am certainly glad I paid a bit more for my OW training - for that extra my full course was 1-1 time with an instructor so although we ended up doing the same amount of diving as anyone on a normal course, I benefited from the extra time and attention that I could get on buoyancy and trim.

Thanks for a great thread idea and posting it in the perfect place to get the attention of those who would benefit the most from reading it. Posts like this can make a big difference if the right person reads it before taking training. After training it might help people put things in perspective and give it another go. I'm sure glad you have gotten over it and are enjoying the sport.

Funny what seems like such a good idea on holidays isn't always :)

Reactions: IVC
Did a discover scuba dive in Hawaii. Great experience. Year later wife gave me lessons at a LDS run by a family friend. End of research. Learned to dive and kept diving. In hind sight the instructor was a good one but I think the important part was I kept diving and learning. No instructor was going to teach me everything to know at the start. I know that there were things taught me in the OW course that I did not really internalize and learn until later and that would be true for any course. Teachers can present for better or not but ultimately it is up to the student to be an active and persistent learner.

Funny what seems like such a good idea on holidays isn't always :)

That can be applied far more broadly than just to scuba! It should be on a sign at the bar in every resort!

---------- Post added November 9th, 2015 at 10:59 AM ----------

1. Provide everyone billions of dollars so money would be no object?
2. Do not charge for scuba certification, or charge so little that it will not be a significant factor (say sub $50).

Outside of that.. unlikely, and probably unwise. Cost is one of many important considerations.

I suspect the industry has already done what it can to prevent this. Set standards that require an instructor to be present for in water training. I think probably all agencies already do this. Beyond agencies setting standards, you'd need to get governments and regulation involved. Most people don't want that...

OP's profile says he's PADI. Does PADI actually allow in water training and testing to be done unsupervised? If so, WOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom