Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FireMedic

Registered
Reaction score
Just curious, I have not yet gotten my advanced open water cert. How exactly would this benefit me (other than the obvious training and knowledge of course)? What other opportunities does this offer me?

I took AOW, among several other reasons, because I wanted to be certified to dive deeper than 60'. I ran into trouble years ago when a (very responsible) DM in California would not let me get in with the group on one dive because it was planned for 90'.

FireMedic:
Just curious, I have not yet gotten my advanced open water cert. How exactly would this benefit me (other than the obvious training and knowledge of course)? What other opportunities does this offer me?
Many recreational dives are kept off limits to OW divers without the AOW cert. For instance, as stated above, depth is a big one. There are many great dives below the 60' mark. Also, some operators won't allow OW divers on certain drift dives due to current strength. These can be really cool dives as well.

The advanced certification will help you develop skills in areas just brushed on in the OW. Underwater navigation exercises, a true introduction to Nitrogen Narcosis on your deep dive, night diving, and strong drift diving are just a few. Think of it as continuing education with a key to unlock some more fun dives. You won't become an expert diver after passing the AOW, but it's easy, cheap, and why not get some more training.

The AOW is also the key to the really beneficial certification in my mind, the Rescue Diver.

Basically without the AOW there are many dives you will simply not be able or allowed to do. I say "able" in the sense that on many trips I go on, dive operators run 2 boats, one for the group with just OW qualification and another for the more qualified people.
I can also think of many marine preservation areas which have their own special rules & the DMs are prohibited from leading dives in certain locations unless the whole group is AOW+.

Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the 60 feet only limited to the training dives (as stated in NAUI's course description) but the OW certification recreational limit is 130'?

CBulla:
Now, correct me if I am wrong, but isnt the 60 feet only limited to the training dives (as stated in NAUI's course description) but the OW certification recreational limit is 130'?

When you get your OW you can go to 130' feet, but you have to get there on your own. So if you have your own boat or means of getting to dive sites then technically no one can stop you from going to 130', or from doing caves, wreck penetrations, etc. But if all you have is your OW then most charter boats and DMs will not let you go past 60'.

CBulla:
Each agency has it's own ideas on depth. I know the recreational limit for SSI is 130 with the deep cert but they allow OWD's to go to 100. PADI I believe only allows their OWD's to go to 60.

All of these are recommended limits only, there are NO laws stating limits. it depends on the Dive Op as to whether they will take you to deeper sites or not. Some won't, but it's been my experience that if you will sign the waiver, most will take you anywhere you feel qualified to go. The key is what you are QUALIFIED to dive, NOT what card you are carrying. And FWIW, you don't necessarily have to have AOW to take rescue. It's not a bad idea, since more time in the water is usually a good thing, but it's not mandatory, at least not in all agencies. Just my 2psi.

Firefyter:
All of these are recommended limits only, there are NO laws stating limits. it depends on the Dive Op as to whether they will take you to deeper sites or not. Some won't, but it's been my experience that if you will sign the waiver, most will take you anywhere you feel qualified to go. The key is what you are QUALIFIED to dive, NOT what card you are carrying. And FWIW, you don't necessarily have to have AOW to take rescue. It's not a bad idea, since more time in the water is usually a good thing, but it's not mandatory, at least not in all agencies. Just my 2psi.

Hello Firefyter, just touching base.... Lt/EMT-P from Cookeville, Tn. Where are you fighting fire? How long?
Stay safe and watch for the puffing smoke.
Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom