Learning to drive, I mean dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeS

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
It seams to me that learning to dive or teaching someone to dive is a lot like learning or teaching someone to drive a car. In both cases, the decisions you make can injure or kill you and/or others. Basically, placing your life at risk is unavoidable what’s controllable is what you can do to reduce the risk.

You may be able to drive a car with bald tires for years without getting into an accident just like you might be able to dive with an ill-fitting BC and get away with it, but in either case you might not. I make sure my car has good tires, anti-lock breaks, and airs bags. Likewise I’ve purchased my own quality scuba equipment and intend to get the best training I can.

I’m taking an OW course here with the idea of making the actual OW dives in Aruba. One of my friends asked why I was wasting my time taking the class when I could get certified in Aruba. The biggest reason is what I perceive to be the motivations of the organizations providing the training. In the class here I believe that the Instructor will be focused solely on the class, the dive shop is interested in a long-term relationship rather than making a few quick dollars. On the other hand, having conducted email discussions with several PADI facilities in Aruba, I get the impression that the dives will be made with an instructor running a dive boat, catering to many different levels of divers at the same time.

Let’s face it; you don’t have to be a genius to figure out that certification is for sale and if you want you can take shortcuts to get in the water. But I intend to get the best equipment I can, the best training I can, and read as much as possible to reduce the risk as much as possible.

Several threads here have discussed lackadaisical training and even training classes out of control. This reminds me of the advice I gave my daughter on bad or aggressive drivers on the Washington Beltway (i.e. racetrack and/or parking lot), “get away from them as quickly as you safely can and stay away from them.”

I really enjoy this board and all the advice and opinions expressed. I think spending time here will certainly make me a better diver.

MikeS, I think the option you are taking towards your OW cert is OK. But why not do the whole cert with your local LDS?

I realize there are a number of people who don't care to get wet in cold water but it gives you a chance to experience different types of conditions. That way, when you get to Aruba you will "be free" to just go and explore the underwater world on all your dives instead of losing out on what you might see while doing the OW dives.

Besides that, you even stated that the resort will have other divers in the group so how can you be sure you will get the necessary attention needed to assure you are performing your skills properly? Your local LDS instructor is a better option IMHO, you will be familiar with them and their techniques.

socaldiver,

I perfer to finish certification here but the LDS does not offer the open water dive till the first week in April, the quarry they use is not open till then, because of the water temperature I assume. This is when I'll be in Aruba.

I grew up on the shore of Lake Superior, I'd be willing to jump in water of any temperature, at least once.

The Washington Beltway *shudders*. I hate that thing! I always tried to go the Baltimore Beltway...even if it added another hour onto the drive time. But, I did miss driving by the Mormon Temple. :) I'm originally from Cumberland, BTW

In Aruba, see if you can get an instructor just for you. May cost a little more, but it will be worth it. Just doesn't seem good that the instructor is going to have more than one class to look out for. Or...another idea...if you feel comfortable with the instructor you have in Maryland..see what he is doing that week, and if he would be interested in going with you. Or, postpone your trip until after you are certified.

If none of these are an option, make sure you know your skills and are comfortable in the water before you go on vacation. Good luck, and have fun!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom