Neoprene wet suit and Sun screen ???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DI_Guy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Question:

Is it advisable to wear a wetsuit after applying a "sun screen" SPF30 .

Do the chemicals in the sunscreen affect the neoprene ?

( the sun screen of course is needed for the SURFACE TIME between dives ) lol

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bubblemaker_ontario

Hi Bubblemaker.

I don't have a technical or chemical answer but can respond with my experience. I did exactly that for several years with the same wetsuit and never noticed any deterioration. Can't recall any friends that have either.

Paula

Regardless of what it may or may not do to a wetsuit, you should always wear sunscreen. Wetsuits can always be replaced...skin cancer is potentially fatal.

RonDawg

I appreciate and agree with your words of wisdom... One should never go without a sunscreen, that is a given... My question was.... What does it do to neoprene. I thought maybe some users would comment back on the chemical breakdown of neoprene over a long period of time.

Bubblemaker_ontario

Buy yourself a lycra-skin and put it on before you don your wetsuit. The things cost only about $40 and will prevent transfer of sunscreen to your wetsuit. They work better than sun screen also.

If you are putting on sunscreen before a wetsuit, I'm guessing it is for the boat ride or time on the beach before actually donning the wetsuit. In that case, I wouldn't worry - most of it has absorbed into your skin and the chemicals in the tube I just looked at won't signficantly affect the rubber in your suit (they probably won't get past the cloth lining).

If you're slathering on the sunscreen just prior to donning your suit in hopes for protection after your dive, I'd say you've got it backwards. Wait till the end of your dive when you doff your suit, then apply the sunscreen. While it takes a few minutes to absorb and be effective, the doffing/donning and salt water during the dive will certainly decrease the effectiveness of any sunscreen you apply before diving.

Thanks gj62

Your reponse is well said and makes good sense... It's usually that "one hour SI" where I peel back the wetsuit and get concerned about sun exposure... Final word.... put on the sunscreen long before the dive.

Bubblemaker_ontario

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Final word.... put on the sunscreen long before the dive.
Final, final word - put it on after the dive as well, after you doff your wetsuit, even if just for a 1 hour SI.

Bubblemaker_ontario:
Question:

Is it advisable to wear a wetsuit after applying a "sun screen" SPF30 .

Do the chemicals in the sunscreen affect the neoprene ?

( the sun screen of course is needed for the SURFACE TIME between dives ) lol

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bubblemaker_ontario

It's jus a wetsuit. Don't sweat it.

If it's a drysuit with latex seals......that's something different.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom