OW and Nitrox Cert at the same time??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jloving1

Reaction score
my friend is enrolling in her 1st OW class and she is trying to figure out if she should just stick with the OW or go ahead and get the Nitrox cert as well? Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions??

Thanks, jen

It's quite possible to combine OW + Nitrox (depending on agency standards, I know that in some agencies it's possible but I can't speak for all...), and I think it's a good idea. Indeed, I always combine nitrox with the OW courses I teach, and I haven't noticed any problems.

Basic nitrox is simple -- and very very useful. I see no reason not to get the Nitrox cert as soon as possible,

voop:
Basic nitrox is simple -- and very very useful. I see no reason not to get the Nitrox cert as soon as possible,

I don't agree.

Yes, the basic nitrox class is nothing but math, but it introduces MOD, which is potentially a problem. Novice divers, who have lots to think about while diving, may get carried away with depth, or let someone lead them where they shouldn't be.

MD

MechDiver:
I don't agree.

Yes, the basic nitrox class is nothing but math, but it introduces MOD, which is potentially a problem. Novice divers, who have lots to think about while diving, may get carried away with depth, or let someone lead them where they shouldn't be.

On the other hand, OW students are typically taught that their maximum depth is 60'. Which gets you almost to 50% O2 at 1.4 PP. I don't really see this as an issue since that's well outide recreational nitrox usage.

Skip Parker:
On the other hand, OW students are typically taught that their maximum depth is 60'. Which gets you almost to 50% O2 at 1.4 PP. I don't really see this as an issue since that's well outide recreational nitrox usage.

And OW "divers" promply forget all about that 60' when the dive boat DM or their buddy takes them to 110'. Reality and what is supposed to happen are not the same.

MD

MechDiver:
And OW "divers" promply forget all about that 60' when the dive boat DM or their buddy takes them to 110'. Reality and what is supposed to happen are not the same.

MD

Yea, but your letting the facts get in the way of the theory....

I don't see teaching nitrox and OW at the same time as a problem but I do think it requires some evualuation on the part of the instructor as to how serious the individual is likely to take the instruction.

jloving1:
my friend is enrolling in her 1st OW class and she is trying to figure out if she should just stick with the OW or go ahead and get the Nitrox cert as well? Has anyone heard of this before? Any suggestions??
I combined my AOW and Nitrox -- and I did 5 additonal dives after my OW before I enrolled in my AOW. I felt comfortable enough at that point to say that I had enough situational awareness and control to make sure I'd never cross the depth limits for a particular EAN mix.

Statistically, Nitrox is no safer than air, but violating the rules for usage will produce much more dangerous and sudden effects. My advice is to take your time and make sure you nail the basics.

MechDiver:
I don't agree.

MD

I'd rather stress these issues in training than hold back a really useful tool.

I prefer to teach nitrox and OW together.

Teaching Nitrox to OW-students isn't a problem. There are quite a few "firm" rules in scuba-diving, which are pounded into the heads of new divers. This is simplified a lot, but in basic OW, the cardinal rule is "never hold your breath, least you risk getting hurt". In OW+Nitrox, the cardinal rule is "never hold your breath and never exceed your MOD, least you risk getting hurt". It doesn't seem to be something which is too hard to retain for new divers.

I agree that it takes evaluation on the part of the instructor as to how serious the student is about the instruction. However to me, if a student isn't serious enough to learn the simple rules of OW+EANx, then I wonder if that student should attempt scuba in the first place (basic gas management is by far more complicated than basic EANx, for example....)

I took Nitrox right after my BOW (within a couple months) I wish I did it sooner. I think that Nitrox should be offered at the same time as Basic Open Water instead of Advanced open water. I think the main problem would be the Cert schools who just conform to the basic standards and hand out Cert cards to everyone. I think that those learning Nitrox from those people might be more at risk. saying that.. if someone took EAN 36 down to 110 feet they would be fine. The envelope gets pushed with deeper and greater O2 percentage. It does not mean instant death, just more chance the more its pushed. IMHO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom