Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
:1poke: Go ahead and poke another stick in my eye, :007: and then suck the blood right out of all of us!! What did your LDS do to you? Just wondering......

says one wetsuit costs $250, while i find it 150 online, computer for 700, while online for 500ish, BCD for $350, while online for $256. it goes on...

There's pros & cons...

Online stores don't have near the overhead and operating expenses that the LDS have some the same volume of business, so they often charge less - just not always. On the other hand, your forfeit a lot of services, can actually try it on or see it, and you may well forfeit manufacturere warranties.

The biggest difference for me is that a LDS helps develop the sport in my area, so I'll have neighbors who want to go on trips that the LDS sponsors, so I can go with people I know. If you're in Florida, you may not care about that.

This is tough one. I like the service of my LDS (Same for my biking) and for the smaller stuff tend to go there.

The problem is though when I know I can save 2 or 300 Pounds STERLING by going on line then it comes down to pure economics.

What I would be very uncomfortable doing is using my LDS for all the advice on what to buy and then buying on line....that's just wrong!!

yukoneer:
Hey all! I am researching extensively for prices, stuff, etc.. I just got my certification and searching all options out there to buy equipment.

So far I have found:

www.scubatoys.com
www.scuba.com
www.leisurepro.com
www.diversdirect.com
www.diveus.com
www.divers-supply.com
www.piratescuba.com
www.123scuba.com
www.scubastore.com

any other suggestions? any other places?

3 of my LDS are ripoffs with prices, i'd save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by ordering online even with shipping.

www.tgidiving.com , Italian company, i have bought some stuff from them, nice to deal with. Really glad you brought this up.....where i live, a trip to a dive store aint a 10 min drive in the car...180 mile round trip ( on Irish roads !) to the one i use and do 90% of my diving with,so i only get a chance to check stuff out , hands on, before or after a dive, i will use the internet to research prices and stuff, and if they cant do a deal...i will go elsewhere....period !no hard feelings, nothing personal....My money after all, no fear of them going out of business because of loosing my sale....and if they were concerned.....would give me a reasonable price, which they have done in the past !....One example....a few weeks ago i was getting prices on 12L tanks, wanted 9 of them, for me and some friends, one dive shop i rang(after not replying to email....), 4 times in total.....could not find a price for a 12L??asked me to ring back tomorrow, ring back tomorrow....when i finally got a price he offered me a 15euro discount, not bad i said....15 off each tank aint too bad....wrong ! 15 euro off a sale of over 2100euro..."not much mark up on tanks" was his reply, went to my usual dive shop and got them for 1750euro, with them making a mark up.....why lie ?
anyway.....my advice, compare prices.....online and dive shops, hey, if u want to try something on and he wont give you a good price...go somewhere else, you will hear the "its nearly a deadly sin to try something on in a shop and buy online"...does that same sin apply to trying in one shop and buying in another ? or is it just online? i dont know....but i doubt it.....and does it apply to test driving a car in one garage and buying from another ? and the "cant buy air online" LOL....if you are serious about diving and your local shop wants to overprice....let him go under, you will always find someone with a compressor, be it friend or otherwise, if your local dive shop does not appreciate your custom by overpricing....his loss in the end !

Post Script.....this is from an irish perspective...i am sure there are a lot of compeditive shops all over the world....just sick of getting it both ways over here...

oleras

http://www.northeastscubasupply.com/

Extreme Exposure

Fifth D

I've had good experiences with EZ Scuba in Tampa FL too...altho they were over-the-phone sales, not online.

Google search for 'scuba mail order' will get a few hits...

Your local LDS will give you:
a: MFG Warranty, most online stores can't becaurse they are not authorized dealers.
b: Will service what they sell, many will make minor repairs while you wait. Online will service the gear too.
c: Physical stores do have expenses online stores don't. Did you use the local LDS by using there store and expertise to see and touch the equpment? That cost money.
d: The MFG play a major roll in that they mandate authorzed dealers must buy 'X' amount of inventory for their store to carry their line etc.

pasley:
Your local LDS will give you:
a: MFG Warranty, most online stores can't becaurse they are not authorized dealers.
b: Will service what they sell, many will make minor repairs while you wait. Online will service the gear too.
c: Physical stores do have expenses online stores don't. Did you use the local LDS by using there store and expertise to see and touch the equpment? That cost money.
d: The MFG play a major roll in that they mandate authorzed dealers must buy 'X' amount of inventory for their store to carry their line etc.

a:most online stores WILL give a warranty
b:local store should be glad of my custom and service my gear if i am willing to pay
c:see prev post, if i try in one "real store", too expensive, and buy in another, be it real or online, whats wrong with that ?
d:thats between the store and MFG, not me...simple economics....would you rather sell 1 piece of EG at 300 and make 100 or 10 pieces at 250 and make 500 ?

it really doesnt sound that hard.....if a good store sells at good prices, word will travel fast....why should we, as divers pay over the top ?....just my openion, we all have them....lol....and as i said, over here.they like to charge ! i have read posts here where some dive shops give credit against gear for classes....WOW...., say it again, WOW....go buy from them ! they know how to do business.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom