Padi or Naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icemyst7

Reaction score
I am going to learn how to dive and I was wondering if there is a difference between being Naui or Padi certified? Both are avaliable but I really don't know what the difference is if any. I would be very thankful for any help on this. :)

Welcome aboard...
What you really want is SSI, of course.
Here are the folks just over in Daphne

Underwater Works Inc.
Diver Training Facility
24208 U.S. Highway 98
Daphne AL 36526
Email chas@alabamadive.com
Web Site http://www.alabamadive.com
Phone 334-928-5550
Fax fax 334-928-5554
----------------------------
Have fun,
Rick (Perdido Bay Foundation Board of Directors)

PADI and NAUI are two of the available choices of certifying agencies. There are MANY others as well. They are both major training agencies, and either certification would be recognized essentially worldwide.

As one of the resident critics, I will caution that the quality of the instructor :teach: is far more important than the name of the agency that ends up on your card. I personally have serious questions about the accuracy of the agency comparison which TexasMike mentioned. Others will disagree with me - and oh how they disagree! :argue:

Some instructors can offer certification through more than one agency. If it is one instructor who is offering certification through NAUI or PADI, then I'd say flip a coin - or complete the requirements for both agencies and get two certification cards.

Thank you Rick I didn't know that there was a dive shop in Daphne. I talk to them on the phone last night and I am going to go over and check things out today. But from the sounds of it I am going to go with SSI thank you agian.:)

Originally posted by icemyst7
Thank you Rick I didn't know that there was a dive shop in Daphne. I talk to them on the phone last night and I am going to go over and check things out today. But from the sounds of it I am going to go with SSI thank you agian.:)
My pleasure.
Have fun; let us know how you progress.
Rick

Originally posted by Drew Sailbum
or complete the requirements for both agencies and get two certification cards.

That is what I did.

NAUI

I've been certified by both NAUI and PADI, the latter more recently because my NAUI cert. had lapsed and I was in an area populated by many PADI shops, so I just went with the flow. I think the most important difference is the instructor REGARDLESS of who the licensing/certifying agency is. I had a NAUI instructor who gave me a course just short of SEAL training it was so tough. By comparison, PADI was much easier, but I switched to a different PADI instructor on my second day and this guy was no slouch either, which made me feel safer and better.

SCUBA diving is not like skateboarding or skiing, if you "fall down" you better know what to do because you only have seconds in which to do it, the right way, the first time. So if your training facility keeps saying "we make it easy", run - don't walk - to the exit.
Granger

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom