night diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cra2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
anyone know of some good online references discussing night diving? (or wreck diving, for that matter)

thanks

sorry, I guess I didn't mean to use the word "discussing".
I didn't mean I wanted to have a discussion about it.
I wanted to read up on it - like a manual, or someone's online tips, etc.

cra2:
sorry, I guess I didn't mean to use the word "discussing".
I didn't mean I wanted to have a discussion about it.
I wanted to read up on it - like a manual, or someone's online tips, etc.

To late now, what would you like to know............. Actually, it would be good to start a thread for "Night Dive Equipment Requirements".

There is a thread going called Night Dives. You might want to check that out. I also did a search on "night diving" and got 20 pages of threads.

Do a google search, or try Amazon.com for books on the subject.

The PADI night specialty manual is a good place to start. (There's a subset of the same material in the AOW manual.) I also have a little book called Diving into Darkness that has a few nice tips. Otherwise, it looks like Scubaboard is your best bet.

Or better yet, come out with the group on Saturday. I'm not sure I'll be there, but it looks like several folks are planning to go down at dusk.

-Grier

this weekend? where? - (i'm sure it's in the private trips section, but haven't poked in there for awhile)

I want to learn about night diving (and wreck, for that matter) but I have trouble with the idea I need to pay $100+ for a course in it. Especially when all the courses so far have been home study followed by review with an instructor, followed by a guided dive. I think I can learn the home study myself WITHOUT the $100+ and then beg one of you guys to take me out with you. I can spend that $100 on the dive light(s).
Same with non-penetrating wrecks.
(nitrox, stress/rescue, etc. are different and I AM taking those)

SoooOOoo... yes, I'll look at the library and look at amazon for books.
And yes, I'll try to swim through the 600 threads on here (which inevitably veer off into tangents). But are there NO websites with basic "how to" and "tips" for night/wreck diving?"

I have fish tanks. I can find 3,000 websites with step-by-step instructions for every facet of that hobby. lol. Where are the "how-to" dive sites?

that's how i did my first night dive. i went diving with a pro boat, and had a DM show me the ropes. this is one of those specialties
that, so long as you have your basics covered, you can do without a class.

btw, it's hard to find "how to" dive sites because people can get killed learning to dive from "how to" sites.

cra2:
anyone know of some good online references discussing night diving? (or wreck diving, for that matter)
thanks

Good question!

When I did my first one, I got a good light, prayed it didn't go off and hoped for the best! Now, I just love it!

Back
Top Bottom