Ear problems with diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergirl

Registered
Reaction score
Another question from a newbie...

I have usually had problems with swimmer's ear from previous swimming (synchronized swimming and lap swimming) and I was wondering if anyone out there has ear infections or problems as a result of scuba diving? What can be done to prevent problems? What about sinus infections? I haven't taken any classes yet, so if you are talking about equipment, KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid) for me, ok??

Thanks in advance for your postings!

Watergirl

Hello watergirl

I am certainly not one of the vet's here but try the web site
www.scubamed.com This is a cut and paste from the site

Swimmer's Ear

External canal infections, sometimes called "swimmer's ear", occur when water accumulates in the external ear canal, and remains long enough to allow bacteria and fungus to grow. Prevention of external infections is best done by using Otic Domeboro solution. A few drops in each ear before and after water exposure are adequate.

Have fun
Randy

Watergirl....I use ear drops after every dive to help dry out the water and prevent bacterial growth. There are solutions available with your Drs prescription or you can mix your own. There are quite a few home recipes out there but I've always used a 95% denatured alcohol (not rubbing alcohol) and 5% boric acid solution from my pharmacist with no problems.

The most common recipes that I've made note of are...

1. 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water with a just a little bit of alcohol to dry the ear

2. 50% alcohol, 25% vinegar, 25% Hydrogen peroxide

3. 50% vonegar, 50% alcohol

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom