NAUI vs PADI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have been certified as an open water and advanced open water diver through PADI. Recently the dive shop i belong to has been slacking in service. I found a really nice one closer to me but they are NAUI. What is the difference? Is one better than the other? Can you get certified both ways but still continue to advance? Thanks....

NAUI standards for most courses are usually better, IMHO, than PADI standards. You can sometimes find PADI instructors who suppliment their classes with more material and actually teach excellent classes.

Both agencies recognize the other's certifications. You can take OW and AOW from one and future classes from another.

If you feel you will get a better course from the NAUI shop, then by all means take it.

You can generally take successive courses from different agencies without a problem.

dolphinluv1979:
Recently the dive shop i belong to has been slacking in service. I found a really nice one closer to me.....

Sometimes its all about customer service instead of the agency.

dolphinluv1979:
I have been certified as an open water and advanced open water diver through PADI. Recently the dive shop i belong to has been slacking in service. I found a really nice one closer to me but they are NAUI. What is the difference? Is one better than the other? Can you get certified both ways but still continue to advance? Thanks....
First let me say if the instructor teaches the material properly and completely both agencies offer good training. Most agencies recognise the training of the other so crossovers should not be a problem for you. You are wise to ask this question and then choose your training like you choose any other major purchase. Get the best bang for the buck. I would switch if that is what works for you. I have heard NAUI has an excellent program although I personally have never had any NAUI training.

wedivebc:
First let me say if the instructor teaches the material properly and completely both agencies offer good training............I have heard NAUI has an excellent program although I personally have never had any NAUI training.

Sounds like hearsay to me. Did you negelect to tell us of research you've conducted? How do you know, "if the instructor teaches the material properly and completely both agencies offer good training?"

Walter:
Sounds like hearsay to me. Did you negelect to tell us of research you've conducted? How do you know, "if the instructor teaches the material properly and completely both agencies offer good training?"
I know from personal experience teaching the OW program. As I am an instructor for PADI, ANDI, SDI and TDI, I guess I have some insight into this matter.

I don't get this...he pretty much said what you did. He just didn't add "IMHO". So if he adds that is his post okay? This kind of cr@p gets old quick. You get good divers and cr@p divers out of both camps IMHO.

I was recently PADI certified, and I believe that the only major difference between PADI and NAUI is that NAUI people have cooties.

bubble blower:
I don't get this...he pretty much said what you did.

Actually, he didn't. Even if he had, his statement would have no credibility. To paraphrase, he said, 'PADI and NAUI both offer good training, but I don't know anything about NAUI training.'

While I agree NAUI usually offers good training, how could he make that assessment when he just admited he had no knowledge of NAUI training? My point was not that he was mistaken, simply that he destroyed his own credibility.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom