Nitrox tables

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
undefined I'm reading the text book and dive tables for nitrox cert and am totally frustrated with its complexity. Since I will ONLY use my dive computer, and all dive boats require an hour surface interval, is all this stufff necessary?

What stuff specifically?
If you know your equivalent air depth, you can dive Nitrox and use air tables.

Yes, it is necessary! What will you do when your computer fails and you don't know (the risks of) what you're doing...

BTW, welcome to the board!

Laurens

The one thing that is ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT!!! is your PPO. 1.6 or over can get you very dead, very quick . . .

The Kraken:
What stuff specifically?
If you know your equivalent air depth, you can dive Nitrox and use air tables.

hope I'm doing this correctly?

I just find using these tables, and being tested on it for cert, unnecessary when you are diving with a computer.

El Orans:
Yes, it is necessary! What will you do when your computer fails and you don't know (the risks of) whay you're doing...

BTW, welcome to the board!

Laurens

Thanks

I'm such a dunce when it comes to multiple dives using the tables. If my computer failed I would not dive.

The Kraken:
The one thing that is ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT!!! is your PPO. 1.6 or over can get you very dead, very quick . . .

Yes, that much I know from reading the book. Do not exceed 1.4, right, or 100% in 24 hrs?

That's why you're taught to use the tables. It would be a sad thing, indeed, if you were to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a dive trip and abandon it because your computer died.

You were taught to dive with an SPG and depth gauge, weren't you?

The Kraken:
That's why you're taught to use the tables. It would be a sad thing, indeed, if you were to spend a couple of thousand dollars for a dive trip and abandon it because your computer died.

You were taught to dive with an SPG and depth gauge, weren't you?

I only dive with my computer, now have a back-up since I had a computer failure once. My computer tells me everything I need to know. Do you have one?

pilot fish:
Thanks

I'm such a dunce when it comes to multiple dives using the tables. If my computer failed I would not dive.

That's why I always plan my dives with the tables. I always use my computer but only as a backup. By the time it starts beeping I'm already on the boat/shore.
I've had occasions that my wife and I had both forgotten our computers and we didn't have a waterproof watch. Using the tables, I saw that If I stayed shallower than 12 meters I'd run out of air a lot quicker than the NDL would grant me. So, we had a great dive.

Lessons learned:
1) Knoweth thy tables
2) Bringeth thy computer

Back
Top Bottom