Colors underwater....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AmyJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

sorry for this stupid question. I know we covered it in some class somewhere.. and I'm sure it's here, just can't find it. What order do the colors go away as you get deeper? In other words, which ones will last the longest for good visibility of buddy etc. Thanks!

alcina:
Remember the old Roy G Biv? :D

That's the only way I can remember what colour indigo is. I have trouble with vermilion too...

archman:
That's the only way I can remember what colour indigo is. I have trouble with vermilion too...

Dude, the V in Roy G Biv is not vermillion... :wink:

I'm thinking about doing that polka dots on the bottom of my fins, for one thing... so looking for good colors that will show up. :) suppose I can go with yellow or green... not nearly as interesting as say... a vibrant fuschia or violet.. but whatever works.. :)

Just make sure it looks great topside. :wink:

I liked what one guy put on his fins - "Don't follow me. I'm Lost." Not bad since he was instructing a Nav. class.

AmyJ:
a vibrant fuschia or violet.. but whatever works.. :)

Vibrant fushia or bright pink will work. Violet doesn't really from what I have seen.

White stands out if it is true white - like from a paint pen.

Silver works great too...might even get some of those big fish closer to you! :wink:

Just a thought as I have no real idea - how would luminous paint work underwater?

Edit: Never mind - I just did a Google and apparently it's a hazardous substance! :11:

AmyJ:
Hello,

sorry for this stupid question. I know we covered it in some class somewhere.. and I'm sure it's here, just can't find it. What order do the colors go away as you get deeper? In other words, which ones will last the longest for good visibility of buddy etc. Thanks!
Chartreuse is about as good as it gets in bay and ocean water. As near as I can tell, the same is true for freshwater.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom