Important!: Mathematics of Scuba Diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wilson_12

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody, I am doing a project for my math class about the mathematics of scuba diving, but the thing is that I'm new to scuba diving don't have a great knowledge of it.
Can you guys tell me about how math is involved in scuba diving? How does math tie in with scuba diving? This is very important, and if I could get this info as soon as possible that'd be great! Thanks very much!

wilson_12:
Hey everybody, I am doing a project for my math class about the mathematics of scuba diving, but the thing is that I'm new to scuba diving don't have a great knowledge of it.
Can you guys tell me about how math is involved in scuba diving? How does math tie in with scuba diving? This is very important, and if I could get this info as soon as possible that'd be great! Thanks very much!

Think of the gas laws. There is also figuring PO2 and MOD if diving nitrox. Of course the dive tables and dive computers all use mathematics. You use math to figure SAC rate also.

I imagine Dive Tables and PO2 would be good examples. If you take the Nitrox class you can learn how to compute these all manually.

Also for navigation your use math. It's based on 360 degrees compass setting, etc. Most compass courses for example have a way were you swim so many kicks and turn 90 degrees and do the same. repeat for a total of 4 times. If you do it perfectly, you'll swim a perfect square with 4 perfect 90 degree turns.

You could also do math based on air consumption, Boyles Law on Pressure and volume, etc.

mike

And to figure bouyancy, air consumption ( if you use x psi of air at 30 feet what will it be at 87 feet?). Also to figure out how much of each paycheck can be spent on diving without causing divorce. Usefull stuff!

You didn't say what level of math, but I'm assuming high school.

Check out http://www.iantd.com/rebreather/phys.html It has plenty of intoductory information for gas laws. A diver uses math to figure out what depth is safe for certain gases, etc.

There are many threads on this board regarding SAC (Surface Air Consumption). A diver can use math to predict how much air they will use at a certain depth. This is an very helpful thing to know when planning dives for obvious reasons.

Good luck!

kazinvan:
I don't think we should be doing your homework for you. I'm sure you can find the answer in a few minutes using google.

Believe me buddy, I have been looking and getting all sorts of info over the web, I just thought it might make sense to ask scuba divers about this subject...

The actual mathmatical manipulations used by most divers are simple, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, nothing complex there. The derivation of dive tables and no decompression limits is based on half-lives, so there are bound to be exponentials, possibly even more complex integration and differentiation (partial possibly). I believe the use of gas laws to do with gas pressure/volume/temperature and partial pressure work have been covered and Archimedes principle too by other posters above. There isnt much else that people really deal with on a day to day basis with diving.

Math and scuba? OK, Ok....hmmmm
Here we go.... Johnny spends $1200 on a scuba system and another $700 on a guys trip to Honduras. While there, he spends another $150 on a Nitrox course and buys a new mask for $70. Meanwhile his wife wanted a new dinette set. So the question is ....
If he is 6'2", how much rope will she need to dangle him from a 10 foot ceiling? (Let's assume he is barefoot) <Jeopardy music in background>

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom