Weather conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdexcalibur

Reaction score
Hell, how does the weather on top affect the water underneath. For example if a boat goes by, and makes a pretty big wake do you feel in underneath. What about wind and storms. Thanks all. I get wet in about a month.

Weather can have a significant effect on diving; be it on visibility, or the amount of surge, especially on shallow dives. Climate changes, such as El Nino, effect diving as well: what you see, and how well you see it. In California they are predicting an algae bloom and vulnerablity to the kelp ecosystem for this coming year.

This is quite a complex question as a lot depends on the type of weather and the type of site.

Generally speaking to start with you will be diving in sheltered conditions so there should be nothing to worry about as I am sure your chosen instructor will take care of you. If you have any worries about the weather conditions then don't dive, (better to wait for a good day than have worries during the dive).

Welcome to the Boards
Aquamore.
:)

Originally posted by sdexcalibur
Hell, how does the weather on top affect the water underneath. For example if a boat goes by, and makes a pretty big wake do you feel in underneath. What about wind and storms. Thanks all. I get wet in about a month.

Hey Steve!

As you can already tell from the responses you have had, weather does affect a divers day greatly but it all depends on many aspects of the days diving.

Where you planning on diving?

e.g. if you are diving in a lake, its been raining all day - the likelihood is that visibility wont be brilliant at all.

As for wind, storms etc. It will all affect the dive in some respect. But it all depends on the degree of storm etc.

As for boats causing a disturbance. If depends of the size - eg. a tug boat wont cause you too many problems unless your on the surface and the oar hits you over the head!

A big luxury cruiser on the other hand many cause a few ripples - although its never happened to me!

You have to consider how close you are to the surface as well! :D

Back
Top Bottom