How long before flying after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cavegirl

Registered
Reaction score
A person can dive immediately after flying, with some advises such as drink lots of water.

Usually we see the "rules" about not flying for 12 hours (some says 18 hours, some just say not the same day) after diving. Then there are stories of people "violating" these and fly soon after diving.

What happens if someone flies too soon after diving?

Is 12 hr a hard rule, or if someone dove using Nitrox could it be shortened to 9 hr? This is with "regular" recreational dives, going on guided tours with divemaster.

It takes 24 hours to completely expel all of your residual nitrogen out of your system.

Therefore, flying anytime before completely a 24 hour SIT, you are pushing your luck in my opinion.

i usually don't reply with "do a search" but this is one time it's actually worthwhile to trya search on this, and i mean that in a positive way, there have been some good threads on this already...

This is direct from DAN:

Revised Flying After Diving Guidelines for Recreational Diving - May 2002

The following guidelines are the consensus of attendees at the 2002 Flying After Diving Workshop. They apply to air dives followed by flights at cabin altitudes of 2,000 to 8,000 feet (610 to 2,438 meters) for divers who do not have symptoms of decompression sickness (DCS). The recommended preflight surface intervals do not guarantee avoidance of DCS. Longer surface intervals will reduce DCS risk further.

For a single no-decompression dive, a minimum preflight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested.
For multiple dives per day or multiple days of diving, a minimum preflight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.
For dives requiring decompression stops, there is little evidence on which to base a recommendation and a preflight surface interval substantially longer than 18 hours appears prudent.

there are various standards, from 12 hours to 24 hours, but DAN basically
reccomends the following:

o A Single No-Decompression Dive:
A minimum pre-flight surface interval of 12 hours is suggested

o
Multiple Dives per Day or Multiple Days of Diving:
A minimum pre-flight surface interval of 18 hours is suggested.

The 24 hour suggestion is more conservative, and thus, can't hurt

Hmmm.

After several days of cruise, our flight leaves at 9pm the day after cruise.

After resting a day I was trying to figure out if it will be possible to do a morning 2-tank recreational dive, using Nitrox. The dives are probably will be 8:30am and 10am dives, finishing before 11am. That leaves 10 hours. So sounds like it shouldn't be done.

cavegirl:
The dives are probably will be 8:30am and 10am dives, finishing before 11am. That leaves 10 hours. So sounds like it shouldn't be done.

i personally wouldn't do it ... even for a single dive, you're looking at 12 hours minimum.

for more than one, you're looking at 18

even with nitrox, you still will need 5 to 6 hours absolute minimum to clear the
tables (get below Group A), just like air... so.... don't trust nitrox to reduce your
no-flight time

i don't like the math ...

If you're using a computer it will give you the same no flying time regardless of whether you're using Nitrox or Air. It will be pretty close to the times you have already been given by the others on this thread. I personally like to have a 24hr SI before flying, even though my computer might say I can fly sooner.

cavegirl:
Hmmm.

After several days of cruise, our flight leaves at 9pm the day after cruise.

After resting a day I was trying to figure out if it will be possible to do a morning 2-tank recreational dive, using Nitrox. The dives are probably will be 8:30am and 10am dives, finishing before 11am. That leaves 10 hours. So sounds like it shouldn't be done.

I'd post this on one of the physiology forums and see what they have to say. I'm assuming this is your only dive, correct? Maybe the consensus would be that you could do the first dive, as it will be finished sooner and you'd be very close to the DAN recommendation of 12 hrs after a single dive. It does say "air dive" on the DAN recommendation, which implies that it might change with nitrox. I'm sure the dive profile and O2 percentage would factor in there as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom