wanabe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

henryhugh

New
Reaction score
would like to learn more on diving before commiting . i am interested in underwater metal detecting [ shallow water ] and would like to know more about the hookah system.

Hi Henry and welcome to ScubaBoard. :33: hookah system sounds familiar, what is it?
David

Hello HH,

welcome aboard!

Maybe the scuba equipment forum has something about surface supplied air for you?

Laurens

Well, you came to the best place for learning more. Expect, I'd suggest trying the OW course to get a real taste - holding off on more courses and large gear purchases for now...

:bandit_2: don

And don't be shy about posting. Click Forums above, tour the long list of choices, and jump in anywhere you're qualified. PM me with any questions, and I'll try to find a pretty good answer.

Henry, welcome to ScubaBoard. You might try doing a google search on SNUBA. That's a surface-supplied air system used by many commercial operators.

wetrat

Find your local dive shop.. 90% chance they have a discover scuba diving adventure - It's usually around $100 give or take, and it gives you the chance to experience it before going with the certification, etc. I think if you'll tryit, you'll want to do so much more than shallow water metal detecting...As others have said, also try searching for SNUBA or hookah or any of that..there's bound to be something..

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Visit you local dive shop and ask if they have any back issues of Dive Training Magazine. About 3 months ago they did a pretty big feature on Hookah and other recreational surface supplied systems. There are advantages and limitations to this sort of diving.

To use them safely you do need most of the same training at for scuba diving so taking the standard Open Water dive program may be a good start. Then you can decide of an equipment format.

Pete

thank you all for the info and the warm welcome , and looks like my best bet will be the hookah rig from keene eng ? i intend to do fresh water only because the atlantic in the north is just to nippy even with the half suit. the snorkle i use now can get me out to the six foot depth but all rings my family have lost are in eight feet . i do intend to follow safety guide lines and will have dive buddy along also . a lot of the lakes are choked with trees and other vegetation so becoming a statistic is not my first priority . thanks again henry h

Back
Top Bottom