Hello! Newbie wants to start training in NYC.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

banana

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm very happy to have come across these forums today. I'm a long time snorkeler and have done a resort dive once. I'm traveling to Belize in May and definitely want to get PADI certified while I'm there. I'd like to start some of the classwork and pool dives at home (NYC) but the few PADI places I looked at were outrageously expensive - like 300 dollars. If I can do the full open water cert for 250-300 in Belize, it doesn't make sense to spend the same amount here just to do half of it. However, I'd love to get it out of the way to save that precious vacation time.

I was hoping you experts could give me some advice on how to go about starting the training here without spending so much money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Welcome (Scub)aBoard! :happywave

Hello Banana,

it’s about time you surfaced here! :)

Click [thread=91105]here[/thread] for ScubaBoard 101: [thread=91105]A beginner's guide to the ScubaBoard.Com forums[/thread].

Don’t forget to fill out your Public Profile (and Dive Info) on one of your next surface intervals so we can get to know you a little bit better. Besides, it will make it easier for us to answer your questions. Please, do add a Profile Pic. You might even add an avatar (you know, the small pic on the left of this post). If you’re not in a particularly creative mood, you can have a look at my Public Profile for inspiration.

As a newly addicted diver, you may want to pick up some pointers and advice here as well: New Divers & Those Considering Diving.

Any other questions? Just click this link: Send me a PM!

Laurens

This message brought to you by Torrid Trilam Fashion Consultancy Inc.

Welcome banana! I think you're desire to get your classroom/closed water dives out of the way in NYC before traveling to Belize is a good one. Alot of people split there certification like that. Do the classroom/pool work at home and then the open water divers someplace nice. Unfortunately, you might be running into the fact that EVERYTHING costs more in NYC. The only option I'm aware of is to continue to look for a local PADI shop that's cheaper but not so far away that it's a burden. I can't think of any other options except of course to do your whole course in Belize. Maybe others can think of something.

Good luck!

banana:
Hello,

I'm very happy to have come across these forums today. I'm a long time snorkeler and have done a resort dive once. I'm traveling to Belize in May and definitely want to get PADI certified while I'm there. I'd like to start some of the classwork and pool dives at home (NYC) but the few PADI places I looked at were outrageously expensive - like 300 dollars. If I can do the full open water cert for 250-300 in Belize, it doesn't make sense to spend the same amount here just to do half of it. However, I'd love to get it out of the way to save that precious vacation time.

I was hoping you experts could give me some advice on how to go about starting the training here without spending so much money. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
most places in the metropolitan area charge pretty close the same $..reason is that is what things cost..We charge $250. for ow course (academics and pool) no charge for a referral letter-some places charge you for it so beware.You will need ow crew pack and dvd/video.and your own mask/fins/snorkel/weight belt-weights to participate.can be purchased here at student discount...if you work for NYC (mos) let us know and there is a discount.We consider ourselves the most experienced staff in the city..Instructors have been actively teaching since 1971-and have retired NYPD scuba team instr also..PM me if interested.We are located in City Island,Bronx ..

Howdy and welcome to SB!

You found something expensive in The City? Imagine that. :11:

If you wait until you get there, you'll spend a lot of time in classroom and pool practice that you could already have out of the way, and easily waste more than $300 on the delay to start diving.

Good to have you here. Click here to PM me if I can help you get started in our various forums.

:cowboy2: don

smiley-linie-009.gif

Moved from Introductions & Greets forum.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! :) I'm still researching my options. oly5050user, thanks for the info on your dive school. I would definitely be interested if it weren't so far away (I'm in Brooklyn). For future reference, what is the name of your school? You can PM me if you don't want to post it.

Looking forward to exploring the board.

http://www.kcdivers.com/

This isn't really a recommendation since I know nothing about this place other than what I've read on their website. I found them by searching through the PADI website.

Certifications do seem to be awfully expensive in Manhattan but really, what isn't? This place is in Brooklyn. Be on the lookout for hidden fees of course, but the price looks pretty good and includes equipment rental, as far as I can tell.

Let us know how it turns out, I have two friends in the city (where I lived until pretty recently) looking to get certified. That's actually why I started looking in the first place.

Good luck,

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom