snorkle/mask/fin for snorkle swim, what i am doing wrong?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver_City Boys

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I am trying to prepare myself for PADI snorkle swiming skills, i'm using:
-Mares volo race fine
-Aero III > 150 cm EN 1972 (with lower purge valve for immediate clearing)
-cressi-sub mask

when i start scisorrs kicking, my head and upper body (because i'm not using hands)gradualy sink more into water and hella of water start going into my snorkle from tip which no way i can clear them out

Now, i think it's due to few reason:
-My fin isn't for snorking, it's for diving? then which type of fines?
-Is my kicking style, body balance or my swiming style somewehre wrong that cause my upper body start sinking?

Thanks for helping

Sounds to me like you have an "attitude" problem, & I don't mean your mind isn't right; rather, I think you need to adjust your head & legs a bit to adjust for your natural surface swimming / snorkelling style.

Keeping your arms at your sides, try raising your torso up slightly while allowing your legs to drop a bit lower in the water. It will take some effort & practice, but if you work at it, you should find that pretty soon your snorkel will stay clear & your fins will push you faster through the water because thay are remaining submerged while you're kicking.

Let me know how this works for you - make me proud!

Best Fishes,
DeepSeaDan

I have seen this before, you are bending down at the waist. Arch your back and neck. The body, at least when swimming, and I am a swimmer, having competed in long distance open water races and as a WSI, think of the body as a wing, provide angle of attack to create lift. Bending down at the waist as you are doing causes lift in the wrong direction, downward. Sometimes some people find it useful to place their arms and hands together way out front--clasped together--initially. This helps them to visulize creating upward lift by inclining their hands, forces the back to arch a little bit. You don't have a weight belt on do you? N

Also, just a simple thing, have you checked that your snorkle is straight up and down when you face is in the water? Mine gets at a wierd angle sometimes (especially if I'm tilting my head back, looking more forward than straight down) and I wonder why I'm getting lots of water in it.

Thanks to everyone for all tips. I can't say what for now, i should try these ideas
and report back

Still intersted to hear more, especialy type of fins used solely for snorkling

Also try linking your hands behind your back,this will help push your azz down and therefore angle your body up, as Nemrod suggests.

I have trouble at the surface more than underwater, one thing I'd suggest is just floating spread-eagle face-down breathing through your snorkel until you get your "balance" then moving up to swimming gradually. Helped me.

Also, you need to look down (but not swim down) for your snorkel to be sticking straight up... if you forget and look forward (as I do) you get a mouthful of water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom