breathing apparatus that will allow breathing underwater without tanks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bookymad

Reaction score
I was just surfing a bit on scuba diving, and came across this interesting article.....apparently, it should be available pretty soon (being relative, as opposed to years of development or whatnot), since this article is from last year.

Isn't it the coolest invention ever? I can't imagine how it would be like to be able to scuba dive without the tanks!

What do you guys think??????????

Here's the link....

http://www.isracast.com/Articles/Article.aspx?ID=63

:confined:

Well it requires 2000 litres of water a minute, 33 litres a second, sounds like you will have a jet scooter as well as an O2 supply for a rebreather.
Then you have to centrifuge 2000 litres of water a minute.
All from a 1lk Lithium battery to last 1 hour.

I don't think these numbers add up, maybe I have misunderstood the diagrams but to centrifuge 2000 Kg of water a minute I think you will need a lot of power.

I hope it works, and I can see how it would work for underwater habitats, subs, etc. I am just no so sure for the diver.
However if we could emulate sharks a bit better, obviously their gills can extract the Oxygen without the power consumption. :yelclap:

This was debated in depth here a few months ago. I think its also mentioned in this long thread.

I think its the biggest load of rubbish and pseudoscience I've read to date, excluding the creationism thread. And yes – I’ve modelled gas-liquid phase transitions and chemical solubilities in my past academic life.

'Dissolved air' does not exist: there is not an air molecule. Centrifuging water will create water-gas (H2O) bubbles - which will collapse the moment the pressure returns to ambient (like water vapour cavitations around a ships propeller). This pressure increase back to ambient is required to deliver any gas to the diver, including water vapour (unless it somehow leaves the centrifuge still at low pressure, in which case the delivery system will act like a vacuum cleaner and suck your lungs out).. There are just so many things wrong here I don’t know where to start.

Cheers,
Rohan.

Oh bah humbug to you guys! Nothing like popping someone else's balloon, huh????????? Oh wellllllllll, it was nice while it lasted.....the daydreams of it.

Thanks Tassie, for the other discussion links. Should have done a search before getting carried away and posting it.

Sighsssssssssssssssssssssss!

Basically good concept, but he's forgot one thing....batteries die!

I'd love to put that system in the water running and hit it with some sonar and other instruments to see just how much vibration is coming from it.

Sheesh, the environmental impact issues that might be raised could be quite interesting. I'll get my popcorn.

One thing to remember is that fish use the concentration difference of dissolved oxygen and carbon dioxide in their blood vs seawater to survive.

Oxygen goes into blood across the permeable membrane in their gills as the blood in their gills has a lower concentration of oxygen than the surrounding seawater (a process called osmosis).

The oxygen and carbon dioxide do not enter the gaseous state during this process: they stay dissolved.

Extracting a breathing gas suitable for a mammal from seawater without breaking up water molecules using huge amounts of power is a stuff of dreams and crackpot israelii flow charts.

Cheers,
Rohan.

To me it looks like a battery powered rebreather that takes it's dilutant out of the water.

As far as I know bottom times of rebreathers are limted by the scrubber and not by the amount of dilutant..... Even if it works this design wouldn't change that.

R..

Tassie_Rohan:
There are just so many things wrong here I don’t know where to start.
:rofl2: Thanks for the laugh...!

This line and the crack about the Creationist thread really gave me a belly chuckle! :wink:

It really all comes down to a completely intractable energy budget. Maybe if you could wear a small fusion reactor on your back, it could be done.

You all raise some interesting technical points. It will be interesting to see if his idea, however improbable, works out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom