Swallowing Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Daft question but its bugging me.

When I dive (only in the pool so far) my mouth gets dry and I swallow, if I swallow air and I am down at 18 mts will the air in my stomach increase in size as I go up. I am worried about this because I think it will. Most peoples intestines (i think) are about 25 feet long and if the air is half way round it's not going to go any where fast. Cant believe I'm asking this but ........:google:

What you describe is referred to as gastrointestinal distention; it is a form of barotrama. Pockets of gas can be formed in the intestinal tract as you mentioned by swallowing air or as a natural byproduct of digestion.

Symptoms can include a feeling of fullness or boating and if accent is continued can become painful (like gas cramps from a stomach bug…)

The solution, the same as on the surface is elimination of the gas by either of the two natural methods…

Stop you accent and burp or fart to eliminate the gas and then continue to the surface.

Jeff Lane

On my first pool dive I was most happy to discover that I could belch with a regulator in :D

I would think that if your swallowing air while diving your going to belch most of it back out before it gets any further than your stomach. I know I used to swallow a lot of air (although less so these days) and I've never had any issues when surfacing.

On my first OW certification dive at the local lake, I was breathing through my nose slightly and inhaled some water ... which led to swallowing of a LOT of air. At this point I had already done my regulator clears and mask clears and I really felt that I was going to puke .. I signalled up and went up with a DM. As soon as I got to the I knew I was going to upchuck the contents of my stomach ..... BELCH!! I couldn't believe how much gas I belched out!! :)

We were only 15' deep and I didn't feel any pressure other than the need to empty my stomach :)

Finally, we have an excuse for the bubbles that come from the other end!

Mark:warhammer

Distention. "Bloat" The bad part is with the flip-flopping some divers do while playing it can develope into a Gastrointestinal Torsion. Imagine a long ballon & you twist it in the middle, hte air on one side could escape upward & outward. The other is kind of stuck there. So if you swollow air, by all means... BELCH!

Remember, never eat anything before you dive that won't fit back through your regulator. :whoa:

has given my husband and other diving friends a legitimate excuse to partake in some rather amusing and childish activities. When I first started diving I would gulp and swallow air, resulting in lots of stomach gas. The posts are correct - just burp. You may find it easier if you right yourself when the pressure reaches that critical mass. Orient yourself heads up, feet down, I find it allows air to pass easier, just burp through regulator. My friends could always tell due to the large rush of air expelled at one time. Same thing with throwing up, not that I try to do that a lot, but sometimes chunks blow. Just take reg out swoosh it around, clear it and reinsert. It will taste pretty nasty if you do not. Oh yeah - fish loves the chunks - you become your own chum.

You're correct about air in your stomach or intestines expanding as you ascend. The gas passing (either end) advice is correct.

You can also get a stomach or intestinal squeeze from eating gas producing foods. Any food that gives you gas on the surface probably shouldn't be consumed before diving; this includes the night before so no beans for supper if you're going diving in the morning! Carbonated beverages may cause some people problems too.

There's a small section about "gut squeeze" in the "NAUI Scuba Rescue" book. The "NAUI Mastering Advanced Diving" book has a small section about gastrointestinal barotrauma.

Basically if it gives you gas, don't eat or drink it before diving!
Ber :bunny:

rmediver2002 once bubbled...

Stop you accent and burp or fart to eliminate the gas and then continue to the surface.

Jeff Lane

Just have to be careful about how much farting when wearing a dry suit. :eek:

Goeduck once bubbled...

Just have to be careful about how much farting when wearing a dry suit. :eek:

Especially if your buddy unzips it for you!!!:upset:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom