Peak Performance Buoyancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paradicio

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had the pool session for my Peak Performance Buoyancy class last night and I must say I’m very happy that I signed up for it!

First thing we did was optimize our weight and boy could our weight use the optimizing! I shed 12lbs, and my wife shed 8lbs. I realize we would have shed that weight on our own just by diving and getting more comfortable in the water, but it was nice to have the instructor there saying “Trust me, you can do it!” I’m still a bit heavy, but it’s nice to not have all that extra lead on my person, and the instructor said we’ll be working towards losing a bit more by the end of the class.

Once we were ok on weight he had us do our fin pivots and swims in the 7 foot mark on the pool. He said this would give us a lower margin for error and kind of force us to maintain our buoyancy. It also had the side effect of introducing us all to the feeling of “fine tuning” our buoyancy with our lungs. I admit (though I’ve read about it a million times on these boards) I had never experienced it for myself (gimme a break I was only certified April 28th!).

We then did some hovers; some more fin pivots, practiced how to reverse, and practiced swimming through the hula hoops both forward and in reverse (that’s a LOT of fun).

I know a popular opinion is to do some dives after you’re certified before hopping into another class, but I must say I’m extremely happy I took this one. I’m much more confident and at ease in the water than I felt before, and my wife feels the same way. My air even lasted longer! I'm really looking forward to the ocean dive next week!

To any new diver, I would highly recommend taking this course. I’m actually quite glad I’m taking this course before AOW. I think I’ll be enjoying those dives a lot more now. :)

Lovely post. It's so nice to hear about people getting just what they wanted out of their training.

R..

I agree...I think PPB is a great class to take before AOW. Ya did good. Very happy to hear it was a great experience for you. As far as training, there are alot of classes you can jump right into. You will be increasing the number of dives at the same time. Take the Nitrox course after your AOW. You will build up your number of dives with those 2 courses. Then take Rescue. That is a course I would recommend everyone to take. You learn alot. Take some Adventure dive courses. That also builds up your number of dives. At the same time you are staying current with training and you are becoming more experienced. Good luck to you and thanks for that post...It is always good to hear about positive experiences...

Thanks rawls and Diver0001!

We are very much planning on taking Nitrox and especially Rescue after AOW (I agree rescue is a class that everyone should have under their belt). Once we've got enough dives to satisfy the prerequisite we'll be signing up!

I am glad to hear you got so much out of it!
I just got certified on April 22nd, then dove the following weekend.
I took the PPB class the weekend after that and raved about it too.

I dropped four pounds there, and everything changed. Being able to stay still and hover, without my butt and legs dropping down each time I'd stop, sure made the night dive we did right after 200% better for me!

I was able to (by breathing just right) lower myself right down to get face to face with tiny little fish sitting in the rocks, without hitting the bottom, or disturbing his area. Then I was able to rise enough to move on without kicking up any silt around him either. Too cool.

I just kept thinking, "Ya! this is how this is suppose to work!" hooray!!

I also have my first ocean dive coming up - June 2nd - and simply CANNOT WAIT!

thanks for the post!

Paradicio,
I see you live near us, where did you take your training?

Dave

Sounds like a great class. With a good instructor, PPB can be awesome. Mine was horrible. The instructor was clearly in it for the money only. I learned absolutely nothing I hadn't already learned here on SB. Actually, I had already learned 3-4 x the number of things about buoyancy and trim than I learned in that class. The "dives" were nothing more than "swim around and work on your buoyancy." Just an absolute joke. The course was so bad that I don't even list it as a certification because I didn't earn anything. I just wasted $65. I even destroyed the card! LOL

For others considering this class, learn from my mistake and make sure to interview the instructor and have them explain to you what you will learn, what exercises/drills you'll do and what their role will be. If you don't like the answer, keep looking.

Teamcasa

Sport Chalet in Glendora. I don't know what the consensus is on Sport Chalet, but I must say the instructor we got is amazing (we had him for OW and went right back to him for PPB, we'll be going to him again for AOW and most likely any class we take beyond that he teaches). He loves diving and loves teaching, so the instructor thing was a no brainer for him. He's patient with us, and makes sure that we're doing things right before we move on to the next skill. If it means we take longer, then, well, it means we take longer. Beyond that he's just a fun guy to be around.

I'm so glad to read your positive review of the class. I just signed up for that along with the dry suit diver specialty. I'm looking forward to it even more now! :D Have fun on your ocean dives!

Back
Top Bottom