My AOW certification in Mex, day 3 (last dive)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E.C.Hansen

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Day 1 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...3834-my-aow-certification-mexico-day-1-a.html

Day 2 - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...3837-my-aow-certification-mexico-day-2-a.html

The next morning I prepared myself, I used my netti pot, had a good breakfast and coffee, and left the house still tasting the ginger that I used to chase down my Pepto. I felt good as I walked to the beach, my stomach was calm, I'd had enough sleep, and there was no problem with my ear at all. I was looking forward to my deep dive. Since the only task for the Deep dive takes just a few min, I was supposed to stay observant, this was also going to be a continuation of the Naturalist dive. Since I hadn't done that bookwork before the first days diving it made fine sense to me. In the briefing I found out that we would be going about 30m deep then doing a drift dive over part of the reef while the current carried us towards shore and into shallower water. I was given a sheet of paper and was timed while I wrote my name backwards, did a series of math problems, and copied a simple picture. It took me right about 2 min. I would have to do this again on a slate after we spent a few minutes at depth and compare times so I could see the difference from what its like to do something that easy on land. I was then given a dive computer to use, a Suunto Gekko. This was completely new to me, on the boat ride the DM and another diver who owned the same computer described its basics to me. What a cool gadget.

This time when I rolled into the water, I checked and found my own flopping mask strap instead of having to have it pointed out to me. The instructor did stop and ask me if I was going to really need that snorkel. I like them, and used them for years before I ever learned scuba, but I figured it was important enough to him that he brought it up. It seemed to make him happy when I said "probably not" and tossed it back in the boat. After that it was all OK signs and the sound of emptying BCs, as we grabbed our noses and started to descend.

At first it settled in slowly, it was just like we went over in the briefing, I put my knees below me, my feet behind me and looked around, I could see the surface, the bottom of the boat, my buddies... and blue. I equalized and the very last worry about my ear disappeared with a comfortable puff of air. Then as the surface and the boat slowly faded, the awe settled in. This was the Wild Kingdom Jacques Cousteau 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea kinda Nature Channel diving that childhood dreams are made of! Nothing around but slowly deepening blue as the increasing depth filtered out more and more light. After equalizing some more I realized that the blue below me was starting to show contrast as the bottom came into view. I imagined this must be something like what a skydiver sees from high above the ground. I could see faint details, the rising coral heads looked like forests and mountains that contrasted with the light colored sandy plains. I know than I was falling towards them, but there was almost no feeling of movement, the ground didn't seem to be getting any closer, I was flying. Then gradually more detail seeped in, everything was muted by the water, sound, light, even movement. Then I saw two Grey Angelfish almost half a meter long come cruising out of some hidden crevasse and dart between the coral. I noticed that the difference in sizes that I saw on the second dive yesterday were exaggerated a lot more here! I saw brain coral as big as sports cars, and fan coral big enough to be dressing screens in someones underwater bedroom. This was the diving that I learned how to dive to do, the colors all seem muted until you shine your light at something, then its a circus of the brightest colors that only a clown would put together. And it just takes the breath away. After a few minutes we settled over a sandy bottom trench between coral and the instructor handed me a slate with my tests laid out on it, again the backwards name, some different math problems and copy a simple picture. I was in the middle of this when the computer on my wrist started beeping like crazy. The instructor tugged up on my shoulder and when it stopped beeping he pointed to the depth display on it. I got it, the computer had an alarm that went off if you went to deep and I had been slowly drifting down while I concentrated on writing. With the interruption and surge, it took me about a minute longer than on land to do the test, I never really felt anything like 'narced' But there might have been a touch, I was having the time of my life! Then it was time for the real fun, close to half an hour of gentle swimming as the current carried us lazily over the reef, I saw Triggerfish that looked almost as big as my torso, several kinds of Parrotfish, at least 2 kinds of Angelfish (2 big Grey Angelfish longer than my forearm followed us along the reef for close to 5 minutes!) There were Trumpetfish, Grunts, Butterflyfish, and yellow headed fish, and more fish with yellow tails, I could go on and on.

The light eventually started getting brighter and brighter as we moved into shallower water until finally the instructor signaled that it was time to ascend to 5m for our safety stop. This was another first for me, all my dives before this were shallow and we never paused for more than a minute on the way up. The water was shallow enough here that I could see the bottom but not with a lot of detail, so I used the 3 minutes to look over my computer and practice buoyancy control, it was a suprise how much work it took to stay between 3 and 5 meters for 3 minutes. Finally my computer told me we had been 38 minutes in the water and had gone down to 31.1 meters, over 102feet.

Well that is the story of my Advanced Open Water certification. There were some minor issues, but it was fun and totally worth it! I do wish I had the chance for a night dive. I wish I knew what was up with my ear, and I'm going to ask a doctor about it before long. I also kind of want a computer, but I want to learn to plan my own dives too, so that will probably wait.

I have to thank anyone that actually read this whole thing and I would welcome any thoughts or comments.

Now when I remember this trip, the first thing that comes to mind is that first glimpse of the ocean floor and the feeling of flying as we dropped through the blue onto the reef.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading all three of your pieces (and really empathized with the first one, being a confirmed cave addict myself). In addition to the simple tasks you had to do for your dives, you learned some other lessons -- like how easy it is to lose track of your depth when you're distracted, and how much of a challenge holding an accurate stop is. These are things you can work on in whatever diving environments you find yourself, and are perfect projects for quarries or lakes, where there may not be a lot else to divert you.

Anyway, as I said on your second essay, thank you for sharing your enthusiasm with us. I'm sure a lot of people will have a nostalgic smile on their faces as they read these.

I'm sure a lot of people will have a nostalgic smile on their faces as they read these.

Count me as one of them.

Congrats on AOW!:D

I loved the enthusiasm! You definitely reminded me of myself on some of my first dives....it was a fun trip down memory lane! Please keep telling us stories of your (future) dives....it's great to see the love of diving come through so clearly :D

Phew, I actually read all that. Very descriptive I have to say. Sounds like you had a blast. Having done my AOW in the cold waters of Vancouver, I am jealous of your warm water diving LOL. I did do the night dive and it was by far the coolest thing I did. Its amazing how the place that you know and you've seen time and time again changes to a completely different setting when the night falls.

All the fish sleeping, shrimp hunting, corals feeding. Bioluminescence was something I never experienced before the night dive and it just added to the whole mystery of it. You should definitely give it a shot, I think you would love it. As I said, best dive I had.

Thanks for your posts. You brought a nostalgic smile to my face.

Maybe we bit more experienced divers need to be reminded once in a while just how beautiful it really is... our sport. But as with everything you get used to things and start taking things for granted.

I dive not only for the critters... also for the history of it (wrecks!)... but mostly just because of the diving feeling. The silent world, the feeling of flying... your last post sums it up nicely ;-)

You also experienced some new stuff, learned from it. Now go out and keep diving, in as many different environments as possible, with as much different people as possible... suck it all up.

Cheers!

Good post E.C.!

I love teaching people like you - willing, enthusiastic and able - and as PADI puts it: attitudinally ready! :)

However you came to enjoy diving, and wherever you go - the way you approach diving does you credit. I wish there were more people out there like you. On the other hand - I wouldn't have a job if there were! :)

Safe diving,

C.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom