Cert dives what a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyesai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I hope this diving thing gets better, to start with my BCD was constantly inflating, it was slowly filling up with air, so I had a hell of a time keeping "down". I had to constantly stop swimming, get vertical and and deflate it. Wich meant that I constantly had to play catch up with my buddy and my group. It wasn't bad on the first dive but for whatever reason it seemed to get worse on the second.

We did two dives and there was one other American there so there was a total of 3 people that spoke english, myself, another Airman, and the instructor. Conversation was definetly lacking for being stuck on a boat for 8 hours. I pretty much just rotated between Phil Gordons "Little Green Book of Poker" and Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in the Markets and in Life, by Nassim Taleb on my I-Pod.

On the first dive my instructors o-ring blew out, I was his buddy for the first dive, well he actually had two of us, no big deal, he was messing with it, trying to get it to stop, after about two seconds I realized he was going to run out of air fast, real fast and had the octo in my hand already for him. It got a little nerve racking only when another diver ( part of another group ) came over and was trying to help, the third person, that close to me, with bubbles going everywhere banging in to me started to get make me nervous. Amazingly two of the other people in our group didn't know what was going on so we had to swim over to them and get their attention and tell them to surface. What a PITA.

Between the malfunctioning BCD, the real emergency, not having a whole lot of chit chat, and having to deal with Sunday night traffic in Turkey, it took me an hour and 45 minutes to get to the boat and over 3 hours to get home, I can't say I loved it. But I think when I find a real dive buddy and can just kick it and look around instead of doing drills it will be more fun.

And I thought I had a bad weekend when the DiveMaster Candidate (with a grand total of 19 dives) lost his buddy! Read what you want into that statement but it is true.

Needless to say, I won't be diving there again.

Failures build character. It's good for you :p

Seriously, don't let a few rare equipment (and the more common buddy) malfunctions deter you. Get into some decently maintained gear, get with a dive buddy who knows what's going on, and diving will be MUCH more enjoyable.

Hell!

Great job buddie! Nice that you reacted the way you did and handed over the alternate airsource to your instructor! All honor to you and I surely hope that you'll have a blast on all your future dives!

Best regards, PitchBlack.

Last edited by a moderator:
That does sound like a pain.
But it sounds like you kept your cool and hopefully your future dive will be a little more pleasant.

And I thought I had a bad weekend when the DiveMaster Candidate (with a grand total of 19 dives) lost his buddy! Read what you want into that statement but it is true.

Needless to say, I won't be diving there again.

:rofl3:!

You did well in this emergency. These tend to be rare situations, but they do happen, hence the reason for the drills. Most diving is much more fun. Gear problems can put a damper on diving. Keep diving, it does get much better.

So much for appropriate training gear, or maybe not. The point of certification dives is not sightseeing, it's to demonstrate that you are ready to take care of yourself underwater. Think of the incidents as bonus training.

As for drills, that's what you were there to do primarily.

A friend who certified prior to me warned me that dive training is nothing like diving. Just suck it up and pay your dues. It will be worth the effort.

Pete

The Taleb book is required reading for my staff--an excellent use of your time. If you're interested in a more technical discussion of derivatives trading, read his Dynamic Hedging.

Lose the PITA attitude and dive more - it sounds like you're pretty good at it and a natural in the water.

Back
Top Bottom