For those considering scuba lessons ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MXGratefulDiver

Mental toss flycoon
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
On another forum I participate in someone asked about questions one should be asking when researching scuba classes. At the top of this forum is an excellent post by Walter addressing that subject. I'd like to add my own thoughts ... based on my responses in that other forum ... and open it up for other instructors and scuba divers to add theirs ...

First off ... start with some questions to yourself ...

How much am I willing to pay to learn how to scuba dive?

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for. The less you pay, the less you should expect in return for your investment. How important is it to you to learn well, as opposed to just getting by with the bare minimums?

How much time am I willing to put into the class?

No matter who is teaching the class, what you get out of it will be in direct proportion to what you put into it. This determines whether you want the four-week class or the one where you do self-study and go through a two or three-day "checkout" with an instructor. Are you self-disciplined enough to put in the requisite study time? Are you willing to show up mentally prepared to be an active participant in the classroom experience?

What are my motivations for learning to scuba dive?

Motivation is a huge part of the learning experience. If you're excited to be there, you're far more likely to want to put effort into learning and developing your skills. If you're doing this because someone else wants you to, it's less likely that you'll still be diving six months after the class ... and far less important to put the time, effort, and money into getting a GOOD education.

Once you've established your own answers to those questions, find an instructor who meets your goals. Some relevent questions for the instructor ...

How long have you been teaching?

You don't necessarily need an instructor who's been in the business for years ... and in some cases that can be a detriment if the instructor is burned out or so set in his ways that he hasn't learned anything new himself for a long period ... but it does give you a baseline from which to judge responses to the follow-on question ...

How long have you been diving?

Beware the instructor who has only been diving a short time longer than they've been teaching. They may have the book materials down cold, and they may eat agency S&P's for breakfast ... but they lack the experience to put what they are trying to teach you into a real-world context. Real-world diving involves making good decisions. Understanding how to think about your dive, and why it's important, won't come from a book or a cookie-cutter, checklist-oriented program. It comes from an instructor who can base their lessons on having been there.

How much do you dive outside of teaching?

An instructor who doesn't do much diving outside of classes is unlikely to be able to prepare you well for what YOU will be experiencing once you're diving on your own.

Will you be adding anything to the class that's not included in the standard agency materials?

Most agencies create their Open Water material to cater primarily to the tropical vacation diver. There is little in the way of local knowledge that is included in the materials ... since the same materials are used to teach divers worldwide. A good instructor will present additional material that emphasizes skills needed for diving in local conditions (for example, diving in cold-water, low visibility, surf entries, or in conditions that usually involve currents).

How much class time will I get?

The answer to this question should generally be compatible to the questions you asked yourself before you started talking to an instructor. If you want a short class, be prepared for a lot of self-study. If you learn better in a live environment, don't go for the quickie classes.

How much pool time is involved?

Unless you're taking a private class ... and are already very comfortable in the water ... four hours isn't enough. Lots of instructors and shops skimp on pool time because it's expensive. So be prepared to get what you pay for. Unless you're a natural born water baby, expect to struggle a bit initially ... which uses up pool time. Short hours means they'll put you through the motions and check you off as "done" as soon as you demonstrate a tentative ability to "get it". Keep in mind that Open Water checkout dives are going to be much more difficult than the pool, especially in cold-water or low-vis environments. You should be completely comfortable with your skills in the pool before you progress to an open water environment. Generally speaking, when it comes to pool time, more is better.

What are the additional costs besides the price of the class?

Make sure this question is asked, answered, and UNDERSTOOD before signing up ... or you may be in for an expensive surprise once you show up to begin the class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I would add one other point about costs: understand the cost structure -- especially befrore comparing costs between shops. I have seen all manner of pricing structures and they all boil down to two things: what is the total price and what do you get.

Some key things to ask:
a) How much is the class and what are any additional costs?
b) Does that include all instructional materials (books, DVD, etc.)? If not, what are their costs?
c) What items must the student supply besides a bathing suit and towel? Is it OK if I buy them from another source?
d) Are there any extra charges for add-on items (like a drysuit speciality or a boat dive)?
e) Are there any add-on costs (I have heard of certification fees before, rental for the UW dives, etc.)
f) Are there any add-on benefits (I have heard of free air, reduced rental prices, a couple of days of free rental, a discount on other gear purchases, etc.)

I would simply add together items (a), (b) and (f) in comparing prices. Item (c) is a bigger challenge to compare -- there may be an upfront cost for the items but they are yours to keep. Some shops charge a premium for the class if you don't buy the gear in (c) from them.

I would argue that a mask, fins, snorkel and booties are a good thing for students to purchase. And buying these items in person is very much advised as this is the best way (IMHO) to get a great fit. And they come in handy at any dive site. OTOH, I am not so sure about requiring students to buy cold water gloves if they plan to do tropical dives.

(d) can also be a good rthing -- if you are considering a dry suit or taking a boat dive in the future.

(f) is the list of goodies that are sometimes thrown in. They can offer great value if they are applicable to you. If you plan to shore dive locally, free air or rental discounts are a very nice thing. Worth much less if you are not diving locally. If you plan to purchase gear, that discount may also have value.

I do mostly tropical dives anymore and the place I go offers an UW certification for $325 (not a special price). The $325 is all gear rental and all materials. You can buy gear there at prices lower than I see in the US.

The local dive shop here offers a class for $200 that is on sale this month for $100. For the $100, you have to buy mask, fins, snorkel, booties and gloves. And the instructional materials. OTOH, after you buy that gear it is yours. And their stuff is also at great prices (on sale).

Which is cheaper? It depends. The tropical store will have you certified at a lower cost, likely including one or more boat dives. With a very small student teacher ratio. OTOH, at the end you don't own any gear. At the local store, you will have paid more to be certified and probably have a higher student/teacher ratio. OTOH, you own the gear and you didn't spend valuable vacation days being doing academic reviews. (By the way, for what you get, I consider both options to be a bargain).

Thanks Bob for a great post...
Now for my take... from a Dive Shop Owner and Instructor's point of view.

What should Open Water Cost?
I don't think anyone knows for sure. What I mean by that is I've seen excellent courses taught for absolutely free and I've seen very poor courses taught for $800.00.

I believe the most realistic answer can be attained by mathmatics. Based on the number of hours it takes, cost of materials, pool costs (or upkeep,) etc... a reasonable course fee would be in the $400 - $500pp range.

I arrive at this by saying a decently taught OW course takes a minimum of 30 hours to teach. Paying an Instructor $10 per hour for teaching = $300.00, with standard course materials approximtely $50 and where we are... (pool costs) a 3 hour pool rental is $195.00. Three pool sessions therefore cost us $585 / 6 students = $97.50 per student. Now we're up to $447.50 and the store still hasn't made a nickel.

Our course fee is $469.00. The store makes a whopping $21.50 for each student we train. We have to hope that students by some basic gear from us. The reason prices vary greatly around the states and around the world is because of local market conditions. Just as with anything else... cost of living - labor rates, pool expenses, etc... are all different.

Paying more does not necessarily mean better instruction. Ask around and get opinions of other local divers. If you don't know any, interview the shop owners and Instructors as Bob suggests.

What should a class Include and How long should it take?
Again, this varies greatly. A class of 10 or 12 takes longer to teach than a class of 4. Smaller classes mean more personal attention and less time waiting for everyone else to do their skills.

As an example, all of our classes are done as "private lessons." Some people walk into our store and think our price of $469 is high compared to others in our area who charge $295 - $395. We lose business because they have no concept of what they're buying. Some give us the chance to explain and some just walk out in a huff saying we charge to much without ever knowing the difference between us and the others.

Here is how we're different... and shops in your area may have these differences as well. I show this not as an advertisement... but to help new divers better understand that comparing dive shops is not always apples to apples as one would expect.

Our Price - $469 / Theirs $295 - $395
Our Price - Includes Books / Theirs you pay for books seperate
Our Class - 1 - 4 people / Theirs 8 - 12 or more
Our Schedule - Fits yours (total flexibility) / Theirs Set days w/ penalties if you miss and have to make up
Our Price - Includes Quarry fees / Theirs does not (you pay out of pocket)
Our price - We teach you until you're ready (no limit on sessions) / Theirs (remedial lessons will cost you more)
Our Price - Includes Wetsuit & Hood / Theirs does not (you must buy or rent)

I could go on... but you get the idea.

Final notes on Instructors.

I agree with Bob that chosing an Instructor is very tough, especially for someone who knows little or nothing about the sport. In most cases, you will have no say in who your Instructor will be. You sign up at the store and are given a date to come in. You'll get tossed into a class and you will have just delved into that proverbial box of chocolates. You may get a good Instructor, maybe a bad one... you just don't know.

It is important to remember that just because you don't like (the personality) of your Instructor, doesn't mean he's a bad Instructor. Every Instructor has a different personality. I've seen guys with great personalities that have no business teaching (they know nothing) and I've seen some of the most gruff a-holes in the industry deliver some of the best - most well trained students. The best you as a student can do is give the Instructors personality a chance. If you feel like the education you're receiving isn't up to par with say - the materials in the book, then you should question the store owner and delve into what is going on. Most store owners know their Instructors intimately and know their positives and negatives. Store owners are able to nip problems in the bud. I know who my Instructors are and I work hard to put people with the right Instructor based on personality and level of pre-experience.) If the store owner can not give you a reasonable explanation or resolve your concern, then I'd be concerned enough to look elsewhere for my scuba education.

In any event, I hope this post made sense as much as Bob's... Welcome to the diving community... I hope to see you underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom