New diver, looking at gear packages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dmdusn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, just got my ow cert and am looking at gear packages online. If anyone has any input, or knows of a better package please let me know. Would prefer an air integrated computer and integrated weight bcd. Here's a couple I am looking at.

Guess I can't post urls yet. I'm looking at the Tusa package #3 from Leisure Pro, and the Atmos XT Pro Scuba System from Divers-Supply. Thanks everyone.

Few things to consider....do you want the air source/inflator or a dedicated octo? Have you tried various jacket type BCDs? What features (other than AI) do you seek in a computer? Also, do you get what's pictured or what's described? The latter says it includes a suunto cobra but the pic shows an Oceanic computer. If you moved to a colder place you'll want an sealed regulator, too.

One things I've learned is you're going to buy all this, then buy more. Welcome to diving. The Tusa package doesn't look bad at a glance, especiallly if it comes with a new Cobra!! Loved my cobra before going hoseless. On the other hand, there's some great deals to be had by buying some things used, even through online retailers. Plus, often if you're buying all those things at once, the LDS might give you a package deal or even let you try some things if they have demos available. Good luck.

Finally, if I had to choose one of the two you listed, I'd go with the Tusa package.

I've never been a person to go with package deals. True you might save a couple dollars. but they are generally designed for to average a group of people. I'd rather put gear together that better suits my own personal needs.

I'm with the rest of the guys here, packages aren't usually as good as they seem. A lot of times you get odds n ends that didn't sell well.

I would also stay away from air integrated computers cus if the transmitter fails for one reason or another like low batteries you won't know how much air you got left... not a good situation.

Not a fan of integrated weights either but... that's just me and let's see if I can do better than those packages:

BCD:
Zeagle Express Tech Deluxe BCD You should be able to swap out the 24lbs wing for a 35lbs wing. $184.95 maybe $200 including the upgrade. I use XS Scuba Single Tank Weight Pocket from LP $ 8 each but if you want integrated weights this might be cheaper if it fits on the waist straps Dive Rite Weight Pocket System 32 lbs $60

Regs:
HOG Explorer Cold Water First Stage $150
HOG Explorer Second Stage 2 pieces one for primary another for octo $220.

SPG:
HOG Extreme SPG 2.5" Black Face $60

Computers:
TSandM gave me some great advice n I personally decided to get the UWATEC Aladin Tec 2G $325

But if you insist on air integration then Suunto D4 Wrist Computer is a very decent $500.

Let's see... $971 to $1,190 depending on your choices but this is the package I would get for myself if I had to do it all over again.

SangP

Okay, I admit that I enjoy shopping for gear and I've pretty much exhausted all the reasonable excuses for buying gear for myself. I looked at the gear in that Tusa package #3 from Leisurepro, stretched your budget a little, and, in my opinion, got you better gear:

Shopping Cart
Apeks XTX50 Regulator
$399.95

Apeks XTX40 Octopus
$149.95

Oceanic VEO 1.0 Air/Nitrox Wrist Dive Computer
$329.95

Scubapro Classic Sport BC Medium
$274.95

OMS Brass BAR Pressure Gauge, (52mm)
$82.95

Total items in cart: 5

Subtotal:
$1,237.75
Squeeze Leisurepro to give you a package discount and get it closer to the $1,000 package you are considering. The Vladimir package #1 takes advantage of the great price on the ScubaPro vest (expiring today!), spends a little more for quality regulators and goes cheap on the computer. Those are good principles, I think, whatever you decide. That ScubaPro vest is not weight-integrated, so you'd have to drop another few bucks on a weight belt.

Last edited:
I agree with Vladimir. pick what you want, then call LP. They were more than happy to help me. Made a suggestion or two (one that I took) and ended up with "package" pricing on the gear I chose. I know it helped that it was all one brand though.

I'm with Deepwater. I tend to prefer to find the individual items I like and purchase them seperate, unless of course I happen to find them in a package. I've found over the years that the various pieces of gear I tend to like are rarely the type of item you'd find in a package.

I've never been a person to go with package deals. True you might save a couple dollars. but they are generally designed for to average a group of people. I'd rather put gear together that better suits my own personal needs.

Yep.

If you don't care then buy the pre-made package. If you do care, then do some more research and buy what fits your needs instead of what somebody else's idea of fitting your needs.

Gear purchases for new divers is more like renting. It's not long after you buy it that you discover something that will be a better fit for your diving. Get an eBay account ready to sell it and make room (and money) for the new gear you will buy in the future.

actually Teamcasa, I really like the gear I bought, just wish I would have bought more :). That being said, I dont have that many dives, so once I get more experience, I may revisit this statement.

Back
Top Bottom