where to buy used tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

11x

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
hello i am new to the diving world and am in the market for a couple used tanks. i know i can rent them but if i want to dive i dont want to have to hunt down a shop before i can go. can some one give me some tips on where to buy and maby some things to look for or maby things to stay away from. thanks

check your

* local paper classifieds
* Craigslist
* ebay
* local dive clubs
* local forums on here.
* other dive boards.
* garage sales
* thrift stores
* pawn shops

Realize that just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a good tank. tanks can be out out of hydro, out of vis, rusty inside, made from alloys that LDS's don't fill anymore (such as 6351 alloy), etc.

i am totaly new to diving but from what ive read and understand you should avoid buying a used tank like mike s said you dont know what shape the tank is internaly or if it was hydrostaticly (spelling) tested according to standards also you dont know if the valve is in working order, but if you can take the tank some where to have it tested and looked at, before you buy it, it would be much better, like i said st the top of my post i am new to all this if some one have better info go for it

Start with your local shops. They will often sell used tanks and generally you will find them in good condition. You will also frequently find divers who patronize local shops selling tanks because they are changiong to a diferent gear configuration: aluminum to steel, singles to doubles, open circuit to closed, etc. These lists are also a good place to check (look in the for sale section).

I've never bought a new tank, and don't understand people who do. :D It's like cars, why buy new? Buy very slightly used, and let the original buyer take on more of the depreciation.

That said, you have to be pretty savvy in some ways to buy used tanks at a good price. It's not that difficult, but you do have to be aware of the different alloys, how to read codes on tanks, be able to recognize tanks, know the going rates, know the costs to get the tank back in service, etc. Take some time to go read in the tank forum here, and you can learn all you've ever wanted to know about tanks, then you will be better prepared to buy.

Sometimes local shops can help, at the very least you might could post an ad on the wall there. Talking to other divers at divesites, etc, is a huge help. Craigslist is good, but it's also where you need the most insight to avoid buying a bad tank or getting a bad deal. Finally, Scubaboard is a valuable resource for buying or selling gear.

For me used tanks are like cats....they just show up when ready for adoption

I've bought and sold tanks at Kijiji online. Don't know if it's only in Canada or not.

For me used tanks are like cats....they just show up when ready for adoption

And out of some weird monetary principle I would never buy a second hand tank from a dive shop for the price they paid for it new.

I have bought every tank I have owned from either Craigslist or the classified sections on the forums! You just need to look at the hydro date and always have a vis. done when you buy one. I have had nothing but good luck with my dealings on here and online. Good luck!

Realize that just because it's cheap doesn't mean it's a good tank. tanks can be out out of hydro, out of vis, rusty inside, made from alloys that LDS's don't fill anymore (such as 6351 alloy), etc.

Just to expand:
When buying a tank, you are taking a bit of a risk. At the risk of pointing out the obvious, getting a visual is no big deal and fairly inexpensive. Most tanks that are well cared for tend to be just fine. Getting a Hydro will cost you more money and there is always a risk that the tank will fail the hydro. If I am getting hydro, I am also having the valve overhauled.

Learn what tanks shops will refuse to fill. Those are worth nothing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom