Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

  • Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 73
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Confused on what gear to buy

 


  1. #1
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sunabe, Chatan, Okinawa, Japan, Japan
    Posts
    152
    Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    10

    Cutey Confused on what gear to buy

    I am new to diving and I am unsure about what brand or gear to purchase. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and it is mostly warm here. I want to purchase a new BCD and Regs. I recently purchased a TUSA IQ700 computer. I have been reading the reviews on a lot of brands and their products. I want to buy a reg that can use Nitrox also, because we have free courses on my base here. I have been looking at Mares and Cressi. I need help.

  2. #2
    NA


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    3,030
    Photos
    16
    Yes. It seems you are, and you do, and you are

    http://www.tusa.com/pdf/IQ-700manual.pdf

    so be conversant regarding battery instructions.

  3. #3
    h90
    h90 is offline
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    987
    Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    I am new to diving and I am unsure about what brand or gear to purchase. I am living in Okinawa, Japan and it is mostly warm here. I want to purchase a new BCD and Regs. I recently purchased a TUSA IQ700 computer. I have been reading the reviews on a lot of brands and their products. I want to buy a reg that can use Nitrox also, because we have free courses on my base here. I have been looking at Mares and Cressi. I need help.
    I have a Mares Abyss and I am happy with it. It works well and it does not has much that can break. Mares Service here in Thailand is terrible but maybe better in Japan. I think these days all brand name regulator can use Nitrox and all are good. So I think there won't be much difference in warm water.

  4. #4
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sunabe, Chatan, Okinawa, Japan, Japan
    Posts
    152
    Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    10
    Do you have any suggestions on some gear that is good for a beginner to purchase?

  5. #5
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sunabe, Chatan, Okinawa, Japan, Japan
    Posts
    152
    Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by h90 View Post
    I have a Mares Abyss and I am happy with it. It works well and it does not has much that can break. Mares Service here in Thailand is terrible but maybe better in Japan. I think these days all brand name regulator can use Nitrox and all are good. So I think there won't be much difference in warm water.
    Is it better t purchase a package deal or buy things piece by piece?

  6. #6
    Registered


    status quo
     

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    134
    Quote Originally Posted by Antagonist View Post
    Is it better t purchase a package deal or buy things piece by piece?
    Take a look at the package and then look at what the components cost separately at LeisurePro or ScubaToys. I don't think anybody needs "beginner gear." Look for quality gear with a minimum of bells and whistles, don't buy an expensive computer, and don't buy a cheap regulator and you should be okay. Any regulator you buy will be suitable for recreational (<40%) nitrox.

    There should be a lot of similar threads on this subject:

    New diver, looking at gear packages

  7. #7
    Registered


    Waiting for the next
    adventure.....
     

    BDSC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Wake Forest, NC
    Posts
    3,469
    Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    1
    If I were you I'd certainly be looking at Scubapro equipment as one possible option. They have an excellent reputation, especially with their regs, and I would think you could get service pretty much worldwide.

  8. #8
    Registered


    Is A Compressed Air
    Therapy Addict!
     

    CamG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Geneva Indiana
    Posts
    1,766
    Dives
    500 - 999
    Photos
    15
    Greetings Antagonist and I would be very deliberate and patient in my purchase.
    I personally would find a local dive shop that had stellar service and great reputation.
    Then I would inquire about rentals and try to dive the different rigs available till I found one I really liked and fit the diving I wished to do.
    I would consider where you will obtain service for your gear very carefully for it might be easier for some brands than others.
    I have an mix of gear and researched it all well so it is hard for me to give brand advice but it is hard to out service the large producers.
    The exception to the rule is HOG gear I have been watching them and they seen to be doing quite well.
    Just some thoughts on those.

    Good luck and whatever you settle upon be sure to dive every chance you get!

    CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

  9. #9
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    201
    Dives
    50 - 99
    Visit local dive shops and find what they sell and service. Check pricing. Talk to the folks and see if you mesh with them. We have 3 or 4 dive shops even here in landlocked Central Ohio. 1 of the places I just dont like. It just seems to uppity to me. The 2nd is an ok place, and will consider purchases from them in the future on some stuff, but their pricing isnt the best. It's not horrible by any stretch, but again, just dont click with them. The last 2 one has been around for a number of years and one is the dive shop at one of the quarries. Both of them I just feel more comfortable with. The one is the dive shop I got certified by and bought the majority of my gear from. The quarry shop has also taken some of my cash. Both of them are aggressive on pricing and are very fair on pricing. Many times beating online prices. Sure they tend to work with you more if you are buying more from them, but even if I didnt the pricing was very good.

    I've bought a total of 2 things via the internet diving related. One was a cable for a dive computer, and one was a mold for weights. Other then that, every piece of equipment I have came from those 2 places.

    edit: RE: renting. That's a good idea, but try to narrow your choices down fairly quickly. Many people suggest renting and that's a great idea, but if you are going to continue to dive outside of vacations, then renting will get expensive fast IMO. You can easily run up rental fees that would get you to 1/2 of new equipment. Sure you want to make sure you buy the best fit for your diving so you dont waste money the other way also.

  10. #10
    Registered


    Has not set a "status"
     

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sunabe, Chatan, Okinawa, Japan, Japan
    Posts
    152
    Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by CamG View Post
    Greetings Antagonist and I would be very deliberate and patient in my purchase.
    I personally would find a local dive shop that had stellar service and great reputation.
    Then I would inquire about rentals and try to dive the different rigs available till I found one I really liked and fit the diving I wished to do.
    I would consider where you will obtain service for your gear very carefully for it might be easier for some brands than others.
    I have an mix of gear and researched it all well so it is hard for me to give brand advice but it is hard to out service the large producers.
    The exception to the rule is HOG gear I have been watching them and they seen to be doing quite well.
    Just some thoughts on those.

    Good luck and whatever you settle upon be sure to dive every chance you get!

    CamG keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!
    I have been going around looking at a few other dive shops, but never really considered where I can obtain the best service. We have a dive shop here on base and they mostly sale scubapro gear. When it comes to selecting a BC I should select it based mostly on comfort. Does anyone know anything about Scubapro Knighthawk? My girlfriend and I plan on diving a lot so we are thinking it we rent gear we will eventually buy new gear even at $23 dollars a day for everything.

Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dive Gear Soooo confused
    By lee3645 in forum General Scuba Equipment Discussions
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: September 14th, 2009, 12:35 PM
  2. New and confused
    By Haiku in forum Regulators
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: July 27th, 2006, 04:41 PM
  3. Confused
    By skierbri10 in forum New Divers and Those Considering Diving
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: February 23rd, 2006, 06:16 PM
  4. Still Confused
    By mavjax in forum Underwater Photography
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: May 11th, 2004, 11:41 PM
  5. Help confused about what to get!
    By pggeek in forum Computers, Gauges, Watches and Analyzers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: July 20th, 2003, 12:17 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •