What if...? Miscellaneous Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
The following post is one of a series of threads resulting from a collaboration between [user]Bubbletrubble[/user] and myself.
We have divided the What if...? idea into a series of topics and posted the main thread as a sticky here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...514-what-if-what-do-when-things-go-wrong.html

Please Read The Following Bullet Points Carefully!
  • Our intent for this discussion is to get newer divers thinking, not spoon feed them the answers.
  • We're going to ask that the more experienced divers don't just jump in with responses to every scenario.
  • Instead, we want this to be a two part exercise for newer divers by doing the following:
    • Quote a given scenario and
    • (1) discuss what they would do given the situation
    • (2) talk about how to avoid getting into that situation in the first place.
  • Then the more experienced divers can give follow up comments on insights on those answers.
Anyone is encouraged to a post new scenario for discussion, but please follow the instructions above when answering and keep it relevant to the topic.

Miscellaneous
* What would you do if your buddy started making fun of how much air you use?
* What would you do if another diver criticized your gear?
* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?
* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?
* What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?

Last edited:

Find a new buddy.

Depends on the reason and who the other diver is. If he was criticizing it because he doesn't like hot pink gear I'd find an appropriate smart ass response. If he has a genuine safety issue with it, then I'm all ears but I'd also like to know who died and made him the scuba gear police. I work with plenty of know-it-alls, I know the type. If he's someone who swears that a BP/W is the only BC to use, or that a certain brand is better than another then I'd just assume he's blowing smoke and hit the ignore button. If it was something serious, I'd get a second opinion.

* What would you do if you saw something with another divers gear that you thought was unsafe?

I'd mention it to the other diver, probably in the form of a question. "Did you notice that your low pressure hose is not connected to your BC". If the other diver is rude or ignores me, I'd mention it to the DM but after that I figure I've done my good deed for the day and if the other diver goes ahead with the dive despite warnings from multiple people then maybe I'll be a witness to the winner of the next Darwin award.

* What would you do if you overheard another diver on the boat bragging that they planned to do something they were cautioned against during the briefing?

Be a tattletale. I've become good at that with my job.

* What would you do if you were trying to change a setting on your dive computer and you and your buddy missed part of the DM pre-dive briefing on a boat dive?

:( I'm sorry Mr. DM, could you please repeat what you said about man-eating sharks, I missed that part. :dork2:

Think they were foolish.

Silently laugh and ignore them because they are wrong.

Ignore them both above and below the water.

Mind my own business and hope they did not delay the trip home.

Impossible to say.

Ignore them and get a new buddy.
If it's a legitimate concern I would listen to their opinion and fix the problem.
Bring it up in conversation, probably not directly (don't want to make them defensive and ignore me) but rather begin to ask about their setup (which seems fairly normal) and bring up the concern that way.
As I said above I don't want to make them defensive I would possibly try to bring it up and if they would not listen take my concerns to the DM/guide.
Politely tell them we missed that part and ask again, if they are not patient enough to answer questions they shouldn't be briefing anyone.

Ignore her....we've been married for 30 years and I've perfected tuning her out.

Why would I possibly care?

I actually might make some suggestion "innocently" phrased as a question.

It's unlikely I would do anything....empathy for idiots is not my strong suit.

Ask him/her to repeat the part I missed. I really don't mind looking like an idiot when it comes to my own safety.

I actually might make some suggestion "innocently" phrased as a question.

Can you give an example of how you might phrase such a question?

I'm guessing a conversation might go something like...."interesting way to hook your camera gear to your BCD. Does it make it more difficult to get at your Air2?"

If the dive buddy is a freind I'd dive more with hopes of my SAC rate increasing enough to turn around and make fun of them. If it were an insta buddy I'd just ignore them.

Ask why they feel the way they do? I am still learning.

Ask about their configuration and what are the benifits of the way the it is set up.

Let the DM know, I would not want a dive trip ruin because of someones lack of good judgement.

Ask them to repeat what they said.

Hi folks
I would like to chime in on this...(I have only done Discover...so...No expereance)
* Buddy making fun of air use*.....This was a topic in my home just last night. I am
trying to quit smoking...But i believe that for a while I am going to suck a lot of air.
If I can't keep up with my buddy because of MY air use...I guess we need new buddies.
Don't want to ruin there Dive's

* Criticized my gear.......Well I would certainly hear anyone out.!!! If it was a issue
with the gear choice for type of Dive..Then a second opinion would be in order..If
this person just didn't like my choice of BCD, Everyone has a opinion,then tell them
I didn't want to chat with them.. If some Bully just wants to be a jerk about my Yellow
fins....We can discuss that on the shore.

*saw what I though was unsafe ..I would just ask them about it..phrased in a question
"Do you think that will be ok like that"????

*diver bragging about doing something the were cautioned not to do....
Blab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Missed part of Dive Briefing......apoligize and asked to be brought up to speed..
If that was impossible ....Wait for next dive..THen pay attention.

Rely, "At least I'm not wasting it like you are right now, you ignorant hillbilly." (Apologies to actual hillbillies, none of whole were harmed in the formulation of this rely.)

Alternative reply: "At least I will probably improve, while you're likely to stay just as big a jerk as you are today."

I quit caring what boors and dopes say a long time ago. I expect so little out of an insta-buddy, that it wouldn't matter.

Reply, "Good thing you're not responsible for it, huh?"

Not avoidable, usually. Criticism evaluated and either ignored or considered.

"Is that safe? Cause..."

If bragging to me, I'd just ask, "You heard the whole briefing, right, the part about <whatever it is>?"

Tell the DM, "Hey, we messed up and got involved with fooling with my computer and missed part of that."

I don't miss any part of a briefing in any sort of critical situation, for any reason.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom