Welcome to ScubaBoard, an online scuba diving forum community where you can join over 205,000 divers diving from around the world. If the topic is related to scuba diving, this is the place to find divers talking about it. To gain full access to ScubaBoard (and make this large box go away) you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Participate in over 500 dive topic forums and browse from over 5,500,000 posts.
  • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
  • Post your own photos or view from well over 100,000 user submitted images.
  • Gain access to our free classifieds marketplace to buy, sell and trade gear, travel and services.
  • Use the calendar to organize your events and enroll in other members' events.
  • Find a dive buddy or communicate directly with scuba equipment manufacturers.

All this and much more is available to you absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

NEW for 2014 Access SBlogbook for members. It allows you to directly upload data from your dive computer, validate your logs digitally, link your dives to photos, videos, dive centers (9,000 on file), fishes (14,000 on file) and much more.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact the ScubaBoard Support Team.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Dive Class Population.

Registered

is scuba
    diving recreationally.

Dives
    200 - 499
    My OW class was originally five people, but three people dropped out throughout (two because of not being able to equalize properly, another because the visibility for our first OW dive was pretty murky). There were two people in my AOW class and three people in my Rescue class.

I like smaller classes much better (though I have no reference) because of more personal time with the instructor to fix problems/habits. Also, 11 other classmates would be a little excessive if there was not either another instructor or a couple of divemasters. I always heard that 5-6 students per instructor and divemaster was an ideal maximum.

Will be missed

It's pronounced CARE-oh, and
    it means "Of course I
    want to!"

Dives
    I just don't log dives
    Photos
    Blog Entries
    When I learned to dive, it was just me and my dive buddy--my daughter. Since then, the only group classes I've ever had were a couple of tech courses and my Instructor course. It just sort of happened that way--I didn't go out looking for private instruction. However, I became convinced that one-on-one classes or classes with only my dive buddy (Rescue, for example), are much more productive in terms of coaching the student to hone skills. Since becoming an instructor, I have sometimes had groups of three students, but that is my absolute limit. If I have more than three, I get another instructor to team teach with me.

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    100 - 199
    my PADI OW instructor maxes his students to 4, my NAUI MSD instructor keeps his class between 4-6 students. Both course directors, dunno if that matters.

Registered

SDI AAD

Dives
    25 - 49
    I inly had myself and my wife in my ow padi class at a lds. We did the online training and then 2 days of pool training and a weekend of ow dives.

My sdi advanced had 4 students. We did virtually no classroom instruction, 1 pool dive, and 4 boat dives. It was a groupon. I do not think the instruction was adequate to have any sort of certification. I dont blame groupon or
    Sdi, i blame the dive shop.

Divemaster
    Badge

hasn't set a status.

Dives
    200 - 499
    I "think" my open water class had 10 or so. Been a while.

AOW had me and one other. Rescue had 5 total. Nitrox 3 total.

In some of the specialty classes I was the only student.

Registered

BC Mountain Diver

Dives
    100 - 199
    Photos
    We had 8 in class and 10 in the pool. During my check out dives in Open Water it was just my wife and I

Registered

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    25 - 49
    I got really lucky. There was only me and one other person who dropped out after the first pool session due to not being able to equalize. My instructor was the shop owner, then in between the Confined water and the OW, I went back a lot to stay fresh and get additional practice. I got paired up with AI and some DM for the additional skill practice and tagged along on a few of the other classes which usually maxed out at 4 divers or so.

Divemaster
    Badge

UK cold water diving at the
    moment

Dives
    200 - 499
    I was lucky - I was one to one for all the class room lessons and the confined water lessons - on the open water lessons and checkouts most were one to one but there were a max of six people including the instructor on some, although I was the only student - the others were dive centre staff and experienced divers who came along for a dive. - P
    Phil -

“Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste; look well to each step; and from the beginning think what may be the end.” Edward Whymper,

- on climbing the Matterhorn, but equally applicable to diving.

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
    Please visit our Sponsor Page!

SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI Instructor

Dives
    500 - 999
    Blog Entries
    My OW class was two. Checkouts were myself and the instructor after the other student canceled due to some dumb crap about being in a wedding. I told her don't bother as it likely would not last any way and she could go to her friends second one. My AOW was three. Rescue I think 4 as I look back, DM one, and Instructor two but a third came from another part of the state for the exams. I will not take more than 4 for OW and two for AOW. I might do three but the diver really has to prove they are on top of their game to be accepted.

I also like the sound of your class set up. Mine is similar with 2 sessions per week for 6-8 weeks. One classroom and one pool. Gives students time to absorb the material and not feel rushed. Being an SEI instructor by standards we have more that we put in our OW classes that necessitates the longer time. We are actually discouraged from doing classes where stuff is crammed in. Last update we were told to try and convince those looking for shorter classes to try our system or suggest they go elsewhere.
    Quality SKILLS AND EDUCATION BASED Training via SEI/CMAS/SDI/TDI -UDM AQUATIC SERVICES.

AUTHOR : SCUBA:A Practical Guide for the New Diver 2nd Edition Print here!
    Kindle here

UDM Aquatics Blog

Offering HOG/EDGE Gear, Manta Industries/Highseas Millworks, and Apollo Sports Products

jimlap212@comcast.net for info and orders or call 724-255-3765

There are SCUBA Divers who are safe, skilled, and independent explorers with a sense of adventure. Then there are Underwater Tourists who need constant supervision. UDM Aquatics trains SCUBA Divers. To see how and why we do that click here

Scuba Instructor

Has not set a "status"

Dives
    200 - 499
    Photos
    My OW class had 4 students for classroom/pool sessions all between the ages of 20-25, it was one session a week for 6 weeks. Checkouts had somewhere around 15, but 3 didn't complete for various reasons. AOW had 4. Rescue had 8 with 2 instructors (one of whom was apparently more well liked than the other, based on how the class divided during pool sessions). The only class I've had one on one was Nitrox, online then one-on-one with the instructor to analyze tanks.
    Procrastinate now, don't put it off.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast