Dive Class Population.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TinmanJones

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all.
I've been a member here for a couple of months and am usually just lurking in and around the forums, reading and taking it all in, most everyday, all day. It is becoming an addiction, quickly. (or so my wife tells me)

At the moment, I am in my 5th week of PADI dive certification class and actually blew my first bubbles last Wednesday. You talk about exciting!

As I was sitting here lurking this afternoon, I was wondering how many people (as in population) were in other dive classes. As in, what is/was the population of your class?

There are 11 students in my class. Ages ranging from 12ish-50ish.

Just curious about other classes.

Its good to be a part of the SB community. I hope to learn a lot more from these forums and to be able to post about my upcoming dives.

Thanks to the powers-that-be who keep this site alive for us.
TinmanJones

I did a private class, long ago, and my wife did the same. At the LDS where I work, we keep class sizes to 6 or less. We have a lot of instructors looking for classes, so we can do it. On open water weekends, we can have as many as 25 or more divers. Open water students are never more than 8 to an instructor plus a DM assisting each instructor. 6 per group is more common. Regardless of size of class, competent instructors is the key. Something is working, because the tone of your post is appropriately upbeat and conveys the excitement that should be the case with all new divers. Have a great time finishing your certification!
DivemasterDennis

Hello there Tinman, and welcome to the wonderful world of scuba diving! I read your post and it made me wonder. I run a PADI dive center (Indian Valley Scuba) and we embrace the PADI 'Dive Today' philosophy, where our classes are on scuba the very first session. Our entire program is completed in four class/pool sessions, with one additional academic session prior to checkout dives. You mentioned you are in your 5th week of class, so may I ask, what have you been doing for the previous four sessions in your classes there?

Hello Valaika.
Our class is through our LDS.
Because our DM (shop owner) works a regular "day job", we have to do our classes only one day a week.
We do our "classroom" work on a Tuesday evening (usually lasts about an hour and a half). Then, the following Wednesday, we will go to the pool (usually last about an hour and a half as well). We alternate our classroom and pool sessions weekly. So our classes are spread out over about 8 weeks. So, in reality, we've had three classroom sessions and only two pool sessions. This Wednesday, will be our 3rd pool session.

I've read here on SB about some classes only lasting a couple of days. I just cant see how all this stuff is taught within just a couple of days.
Just to read through the PADI book and answer the tests within the chapters would take me longer than two days. LOL

Thanks for the reply Valaika. Maybe my post answered your question! LOL
TinmanJones

I just went through the classroom and pool sessions last weekend. We had five in the classroom session. We were joined by 10 year old who was doing the SEAL team and did the classroom portion on-line with his parents. So that brought the pool total up to six. I'm not sure how many will be at the open water weekend, probably more from the other classes.

My class was 4 students, four nights for classroom and pool work (both each night), and two days diving (shore dives for OW 1&2, 3&4 were off the LDS's boat). If I had to do it again, I think I'd vote for a private (or 2 person, if I knew someone else wanting to get certified) course (and with a different shop than I learned with).

My padi class had 6 people and was done in a weekend at my local LDS. One thing he did stress was not to wait until the day before the class to start on your book, and to call if you had any questions. The classes were a 4 hr evening class and pool session, and 2/8 hr class and pool sessions. good luck with your dives.

I had four people on my course. 4 Days, 3 theory sessions, one long pool session (full afternoon) and the 4 dives.

My girlfriend didn't pay for a private course but got either and instructor & divemaster or instructor and trainee instructor to herself for the whoel course over the same schedule.

Thanks guys and girls.
It interesting to see the different ways the classes are taught and broken up.
I like the slow pace our class goes at, as far as having just one class a week and alternating pool and classroom. It gives me/us plenty of time to read through the book sections without being rushed.
Our instructor (LDS owner) will take the time to do any one on one instruction needed throughout the week.
Its nice to be able to swing by the dive shop and either purchase gear, talk diving, talk classroom stuff, or get one on one pool work.

Along with our instructor, we also have two DM's who participate in our pool time. We're able to break into groups of 2 or 3 and get some one on one time during our regular pool days.

Back
Top Bottom